beginners bike?

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
What would be the best bike to buy for a person that has never ride a bike before? I am planning on getting MSF course and I have been looking around for bikes but I have no idea what would be the best for a beginner.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Alot of the decision making should be reference to your physical size, traffic congestion (or lack of), general weather, etc.

A cruiser or enduro 250-400cc is a good learner bike, if you drop it (slow speed), you likely won't damage anything. Learn, get some time under your belt, then move up to something bigger and nicer...

The FZ6 is also a good bike for a beginner but the clutch engagment zone is short (the is a fix for that ((KN Noodle)) but will get hurt should it get dropped and with close to 100 HP, can get you in trouble in a hurry if your not paying attention..

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto on a lower-power bike being a better first bike.

If you're anything like most people who've never ridden before and lots who have, you're going to drop the bike at some point, so buy a used one that's running well, and you won't get as much of that horrible sick feeling when you do drop it. And you can always sell your first bike later, so it's not like you're going to be locked in forever, right?

I learned on a 450-cc Nighthawk that had been crashed by its previous owner. A good long while after I stopped doing noob things that ended with me picking up said bike off the parking lot (i.e. trying to park the poor thing without using the side stand), I moved on to an FZ6.

Learn to ride well and safely, and then get a powerful bike.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
A FZ6R might be a better option if you never ride before. The power curve is flat with no surprise through the power band. Very similar bike, just a bit more beginner friendly.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I started on a Ninja 250 and I'm glad I did. It felt plenty fast for me, being a total noob. But after a few months I wished I had more power. I rode the 250 for about 8,000 miles before upgrading to the FZ6. I would say the FZ6 is way too much power for a beginner.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the MSF course first before even considering to buy a motorycle. They will provide a training bike for you to use and abuse. You may even find out that motorcycling is not for you. But again, you might just end up saying why did it take me this long to learn how to ride.

What most people mean by starting off on a 250 or an enduro or something with mush less power is that the bike is much more foregiving. The difference in the powerband can be the difference of you crashing and not crashing. Remember you will be dealing with traffic! You will want to be in control and not out of control. Buying used is always a great idea. Chances are, the bike will end up on it's side either by you or from somebody else. Just not too long ago my father backed into my bike while he tried to back out of the garage.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
A FZ6R might be a better option if you never ride before. The power curve is flat with no surprise through the power band. Very similar bike, just a bit more beginner friendly.

Don't do it. A fz6, or fz6r is not a good beginner bike. It's too big and too much POWER. Do your self a favor and get a used 250, and save your money and get a great helmet and some very good quality gear with the rest of the money. After one season sale the bike for what you payed for it, and get your next bike.:rockon:

Go to the FZ6R web site and look at the people that paid $6k+ for a new bike, and have crashed them. No way you sould buy a New 600cc bike as a first bike.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to the comments re: taking the MSF first, and getting a used bike (and searching for posts on the topic on this or any forum). It's your first bike, not your last. Your tastes will probably change over time anyway, as you discover how you like to ride, and what you want from the bike.

After that it probably depends on your comfort level and squiddish tendencies (if you're new that means doing fun but potentially irresponsible things...a property often observed to occur in inverse correlation to age).

Someone who wants to push the limits should probably select something with a limit that's within easier reach - they say it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slowly anyway. Likewise, someone who just wants to commute, or a recreational weekend toy, is probably going to have an easier time working their way into something like the FZ6.

If you're looking for justification in getting a 600 as your first bike, the advice will probably be to pick a different first bike, though others have started on the FZ6 and lived to tell their tale.

There's an insane amount of knowledge and helpful people on this board; tell us more about yourself and what you're looking for and you'll get better answers.

Keep in mind that we're all a bit partial to the FZ6 ;)

FazrDan

Reaction score
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. I bought a 2007 FZ6 in May. Its the first street bike I ever rode. I ride it pretty much every day, have already put 2000 miles on it, and have had no problems whatsoever. I did take the Motorcycle Safety class and it was extremely valuable. Basically though as long as you've had some training and you're a mature rider you'll be OK. I'm 6'2 and about 220 and the bike fits me perfectly. Being able to flat foot it easily makes a big difference I'm sure. A 250 would have been a huge mistake for me. I love my FZ6.

suedon

cafe racer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had my license for two years now and started on a 2007 suzuki 500. I did take a weekend motorcyle course and loved it. I am female, started riding late in life and now have bought a 2006 yamaha fz6. My suzuki was in excellent condition, low mileage and was a great bike to learn on. The one big difference I noticed was upgrading to fuel injection. I dropped my suzuki once while following my husband and friend up a sidewalk full of gravel (don't do it) .........and only put small amount of damage on tailpipe when I laid it down. I sold my bike two years later for same price that I bought it.. Hope this helps...enjoy!

megatronixs

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding for almost a year now with no prior motorcycle experiance and I'm glad I started on a ninja 500 I bought for $1000 bucks then sold it a few months later and got a fz6, dang powerful bike. Even still a few months after of riding the fz6 I still feel I should have kept riding the 500. With great power comes great responsibility. Quoted from Ben Parker. Although I just keep grinning as I open the throttle it's weird.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to echo some prior posts.

My current FZ was bought by my friend for his 17 year old son as a beginners bike, who NEVER rode before. He got it right after the MSF course. He had serious problems getting it rolling (clutch engagment, not un-common).

Needless to say, it was dropped at speed (about 40 MPH) on the left side ($3,000 insurance fix), dropped again on the right side trying to do a wheelie on the right side (I later did the repairs after buying the bike (about $1,300 in parts and a broken wrist to the original owner), another drop when he forgot to put the kick stand down at the gas station and fell over (busted the direction mount on the main fairing)

As noted above, maturity and respect for the bike does indeed play a major role in your decision.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
I started by for years rideing around on old kawasaki kmx`s n such ... wen tto a chinese monkey metal haiton vixen ... then went to big bikes ... i trained on a kawasaki ER 500 ... that was ok but then when i passed jumped onto my FZS 600 .. never turned back ... since i ve ridden various others at various powers ... but id say th FZ`s are good bike to ride ... they a little heavy but they will take you anywhere with ease

maybe though like the majority say ... a smaller bike to get started :thumbup: