Beginner Parking Question

Mark85

Hairy Faced Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Right guys, this might sound like an awful stupid question, but i'm picking up my shiny new FZ6 fazer tomorrow morning, and I'm wondering how the best way to leave it is. I've got a good cover to put over it, but no garage. The private parking by my flat is on a bit of a downhill slope, and i need to know if i'm best using my side or centre stand? facing up or down the hill?

Last thing i really want is to come downstairs in the morning and see it toppled over.

Cheers
Mark

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Park it facing uphill. That way gravity is pulling it onto the side stand. If the grade is steep enough and you are parked facing downhill, there is a chance (maybe a small or rare chance) that the bike will move forward and the stand will get pushed back.

Edit: Apparently I am slow.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you absolutely must park it facing downhill make sure it is in gear and roll it against the gear before putting the stand down. This has never failed me yet.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
If you absolutely must park it facing downhill make sure it is in gear and roll it against the gear before putting the stand down. This has never failed me yet.

yup....uphill is best, but in gear with the front wheel touching the curb if you have to face it downhill. i dont know how it is where you are, but here if you park your vehicle facing the wrong way on the street, you can get a violation for driving on the wrong side of the road (even if you arent moving)....just something to watch out for.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to ask any other stupid questions that I really really should already know the answer to.

It isn't a stupid question until you decide not to ask it :)

How do you think we all learned these answers? Either we tried something and failed miserably, or sucked it up and asked. Don't let your bike toppling be your lesson.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't let your bike toppling be your lesson.

When I was doing my motorcycle course(many years ago)2 guys parked their brand new VT250's next to each other facing down a slight slope,they had been away from the bikes for about 5 mins and where walking back .

One bike just rolled off the sidestand and onto the other bike,expensive lesson.I bet they had wished they asked someone your question.

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
Another good reason to park pointing uphill is that when you're ready to leave you can use the engine to pull you forward or gravity to roll you backward. Definitely a pain to push a bike backwards up a hill.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
as long as we're asking stupid parking questions, I too am new to biking and was wondering about the ettiquette for bike parking.

In a parking lot, I have just been angling across the stall at the very front of the stall (so people dont think its empty and pull in and hit my bike) Do youguys even bother with stalls or do you just find a curb?
also, when downtown, whats the proper way to position the bike?
is it rear wheel at the curb angling out and say a 35*?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I can I will park on the pavement (that's what you walk on to you Americans :)) as long as I am not in anyone's way, unless there is a sign prohibiting it. More and more places here have dedicated bike parking.

If I need to park on the street I park on the white line between two parking spaces but that always leaves me feeling uneasy that it will get bumped over.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Park it facing uphill. That way gravity is pulling it onto the side stand. If the grade is steep enough and you are parked facing downhill, there is a chance (maybe a small or rare chance) that the bike will move forward and the stand will get pushed back.

It's always a good habit to always shut down your bike in first gear and leave it in first. Leaving it in gear will act as your emergency brake. No worries about rolling away.

as long as we're asking stupid parking questions, I too am new to biking and was wondering about the ettiquette for bike parking.

In a parking lot, I have just been angling across the stall at the very front of the stall (so people dont think its empty and pull in and hit my bike) Do youguys even bother with stalls or do you just find a curb?
also, when downtown, whats the proper way to position the bike?
is it rear wheel at the curb angling out and say a 35*?

Always try to park if there is motorcycle parking.

Rear wheel against the curb at a 45 degree angle is good.

Be cautious of parking in stalls, especially if they are 90 degrees. Like many riders will do, they prefer parking their bike at the edge of the stall so that no driver will think that the stall is empty and pull in.

However, I prefer placing mine further into the stall just because the liklihood of someone backing up into the stall and hitting the bike is greater. I would rather gamble and rely on the person driving foward into the stall to see my bike rather than someone backing up. Nobody backs up properly these days anyways. They never look back over their shoulder like they should and they just rely on their mirrors while talking on their cell phone. Being that a bike is small and very difficult to see, most people will utilize the empty space thinking that it's empty and enter into the stall to make the backing up process easier. It's only natural for most people to use extra space to make things easier, because they are simply lazy. For example, when making a turn from one street onto another, the proper way is to turn into your nearest lane. However, most people will turn and swing wide because the lane is empty. Parking lots are no different.

Drivers are always complaining that it's very difficult to spot a motorcyclist on the roadway, the parking lot is no different. So everytime you park, you have to park defensively just as you ride.

Last edited:

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
Another good reason to park pointing uphill is that when you're ready to leave you can use the engine to pull you forward or gravity to roll you backward. Definitely a pain to push a bike backwards up a hill.

Exceedingly difficult for short people...practically impossible w/o momentum.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to ask any other stupid questions that I really really should already know the answer to.

A man who asks a question may be a fool for 5 minutes.
A man who asks no questions is a fool for life.

Keep on asking :thumbup:

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
Just because you mentioned you're a newbie, can I put something out there that you may or may not already be aware of? It's off original topic, but related.

Having not seen the hill in question, let me offer up that taking off up a significant incline takes as much practice on a motorcycle as it does in a stick shift (manual transmission) car. If you haven't done it much and if the hill in question so requires, I would suggest *practicing* a hill takeoff BEFORE having to do it in live traffic. Don't be surprised if you stall the bike as you would a car. It was not something attempted or even discussed in the MSF course; at least not mine.

My brother can do so smoothly using his front brake (which is preferable) because he has large hands. I have smaller hands than him, though, and I need to use my rear break, which in turn leaves me w/ one foot on the ground on a hill, and I'm not tall. I can't tell you how critical this was for me to practice, practice, practice!

Just a friendly suggestion. :thumbup:

Mark85

Hairy Faced Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Just because you mentioned you're a newbie, can I put something out there that you may or may not already be aware of? It's off original topic, but related.

Having not seen the hill in question, let me offer up that taking off up a significant incline takes as much practice on a motorcycle as it does in a stick shift (manual transmission) car. If you haven't done it much and if the hill in question so requires, I would suggest *practicing* a hill takeoff BEFORE having to do it in live traffic. Don't be surprised if you stall the bike as you would a car. It was not something attempted or even discussed in the MSF course; at least not mine.

My brother can do so smoothly using his front brake (which is preferable) because he has large hands. I have smaller hands than him, though, and I need to use my rear break, which in turn leaves me w/ one foot on the ground on a hill, and I'm not tall. I can't tell you how critical this was for me to practice, practice, practice!

Just a friendly suggestion. :thumbup:

Thanks for your concern, but hillstarts are as easy as pie!

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do youguys even bother with stalls or do you just find a curb?

When I have to park in a stall, I park near the middle so that I'm seen by anyone wanting to pull into or through the spot, but off to one side in case another bike wants to park there. I make sure to stay away from the white line so that my bike doesn't get hit by a car door.