My first 8 months of being a biker!

Dmitry

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I thought it would be a good idea to describe my first 8 months or so being a biker. It all started in May (I think) when I finally had enough money to get a bike license and a bike. CBT, then DAS, with one module 1 failure (was so happy that I reached required speed for avoidance, I forgot to stop in required area). Module 2 was passed with no fails. However, word of warning, examiner may try to throw you off. I was asked to pull over 5 times, after that I was really disappointed, since I thought I did something wrong, why else would he ask me to do this repeatedly? 4 same minor mistakes equates to a major, which is a fail. So all sad I rode back to the testing centre, where he told me that I passed with no fails. So beware! In terms of kit, I got mine while learning, Shoei XR1000, Wolf Outlast jacket (trousers to follow later), Sidi boots and RST gloves.
Shortly after it was time to buy a bike. Lots of reviews, magazines and biketrader later, I settled on fazer6 S2. Part of the reason was size. I am 1.87m tall with long legs, so I wanted a tall bike, but not something like Versys (i.e. adventure). Bearing in mind that I did not find ER-5 particularly comfortable, I was quite happy about the seat height of the Fazer. There are lots of warnings about going for a 600cc machine strait away. My thinking was that it can’t be that bad, given that I was trained on a 500cc Kwak ER-5, and it is not a sport bike (even though it has an R6 engine). It had to be an S2, since why have less power if you can have more in the same package? I also wanted a faired bike.
Anyway, I found one, silver, S2 on a 58 plate for just under 4K. First experience was very different to what ER-5 was. Grabby clutch with very little play and clunky first gear resulted in quite a few stalls at traffic lights on the way home. It also felt nervous and not at all encouraging at very tight turns, eg. U-turn, which I was doing easily enough while learning. Overall, nowhere near as beginner friendly as ER-5. Oh well, I was warned. However, it did not take long to enjoy the bike. Maybe it is all just first bike euphoria, I do not know. But after you get over the initial shock of something quite fast and VERY responsive you really do enjoy it. I have not regretted at all that I chose fazer6. In a few days I was used to its behaviour and really started to appreciate what pretty much everyone on this forum raves about. Mental revs, that screaming soundtrack, 70MPH in second gear, Insane overtaking ability, great looks, quiet when you want to just cruise, comfortable, the list goes on. Did I mention mental revs? I know people are saying that engine is a mismatch with the purpose of a bike, but I think the two were made for each other. I ride every day, and it still puts a smile on my face going on to A-road on my commute, hit 2nd and watch the needle climb to 14K.
Bad stuff that happened: dropped it once at 1 MPH trying to go over a little stream. Felt stupid and annoyed. Service (necessary evil) and new tyres (Pilot Road 2). Had a little near miss (why are they called that? Surely near hit is better?), coming off the roundabout, swung the bike a bit too much in wet, back stepped out, eased off the gas, snapped back in. Little shock, but all is well. And one battery change.
Conclusion: awesome bike. Not particualry beginner friendly, but if you have been trained on 500 or 600 machine, should be ok. Just keep the head cool. I appreciate people saying start with 250, but if your head isn’t screwed on right, you will kill yourself even on 150.
Anyway, that is enough blabbering for now, all the best to everbody, great forum, now need to decide whether to ride or take the train.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds fairly similar to my experience, though i passed mod1 first time, and failed my mod2 on the first go :)

i don't think i can go for a ride without having to rev the engine and make it howl, though i'm not actually sure if i've hit the redline yet! i got it up to about 85 or 90 in 2nd gear, though i didn't really want to look too closely at the speedo :)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That damn clutch had me flustered for quite awhile, finally got used to it and have been loving it for the last 24,000 miles! :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1

Think the 6 is fast?
The Fz1 will suck your eyeballs back into your head :thumbup:

The FZ1 is a naked rocketship! the FZ6 is more stealth like...it just surprises the crap out of a lot of people, when it picks up it's feet, above 8000rpm!

That damn clutch had me flustered for quite awhile, finally got used to it and have been loving it for the last 24,000 miles! :rockon:

lol! Yep, the clutch got me for about a week after i got my first fizzer! :thumbup:

Nice liltte read in the OP.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: