Been lurking on here for years ready to pull the trigger.

SNOW JW

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been on here for years just looking. Anyways before insurance was the limiting factor as it was over 1k a year. I have a CDL perfect record no points and in MT just got a few quotes at $85 to $200 a year so I think it's time to pull the trigger.

So I do have a few questions.

As a first bike I am going for used and curious how many miles before things start to get loose and I need to start throwing some money at it for repairs.
I want the new R series but a little to much money for me right now.

Also what years come in a black color???

Thanks

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome mate

new R series is better for new riders I think. I started on the normal fz6 but i did find myself in over my head quite a few times in the first year (hell even now it still raises some hairs when i let my guard down).

if you are a VERY mature and VERY in-control of your adrenaline sort of person then you should be alright. If you arent though the fz will impregnate your brain and feed off your soul.

:D

SNOW JW

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks

I hope I will do good I have to keep a very clean record so can't push it because my insurance is on the semi trucks as well.

I'm sure there will be a large learning curve.

So far I think I am going to go for a 2006 or newer with the black frame.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lurking for years? Damn, that's a long time.

The FZ6R just came out in '09, any previous years will be the standard FZ6, which is a totally different bike in my opinion. So if you want to by a used FZ6R, the inventory will be kind of limited at this time.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:welcome: Don't know much about the FZ6R, but I've had my 06 FZ6 since 2006, put 20,000 on it and with regular maintenance, nothing has loosened up and I haven't had to spend money on anything other than regular maintenance.

Now, money on mods...well that's a different story, luckily I am able to talk people into getting stuff for the bike around birthday and Christmas time.

As far as a first bike goes, the FZ6 is my first street bike, I took the MSF Course, got the bike and found it very good for me as a first bike as well as a long term bike, as my skill level increased I found that the FZ was more than capable of serving me.

Wish you the best with whatever you end up getting :thumbup:

SNOW JW

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok need some more help.

I found two blue and silver 04 bikes one with 12k the other with 6k bolth are clean never dropped bolth are at $3500 now I offered 3K cash is this a good deal?? Seems the 06-07 and up are allot higher priced are the changes made worth the extra money??

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Ok need some more help.

I found two blue and silver 04 bikes one with 12k the other with 6k bolth are clean never dropped bolth are at $3500 now I offered 3K cash is this a good deal?? Seems the 06-07 and up are allot higher priced are the changes made worth the extra money??

The 04-06 bikes are the same. The 07-09 are the same but have added an 02 sensor, different fairing, different swingarm and beefier front brakes.

Personally, I would let price, mileage and condition be your guide 04-09 ar all great bikes.

More detailed info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_FZ6

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok need some more help.

That doesn't seem too bad. Here is a place to check the pricing: http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle

Here is another site: http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-23-38-5698-502-565-50223&l=1&w=23&p=38&f=5693&gc=mc&any=0

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome mate

new R series is better for new riders I think. I started on the normal fz6 but i did find myself in over my head quite a few times in the first year (hell even now it still raises some hairs when i let my guard down). good advice

if you are a VERY mature and VERY in-control of your adrenaline sort of person then you should be alright. If you arent though the fz will impregnate your brain and feed off your soul.

:D

Lmao I love that last quote, simply just hilarious