BD43 dual headlight question

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Does one have to have a half tank or less when performing this mod? I've got a tank with only about 25 miles or so on it and would really like to have two headlights when I go out tonight. Would it be disastrous to do this with my current fuel level?

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can do it with a full tank; just easier if tank is near empty; If you are worried about gas, go to a local auto parts store and get a fuel siphon (two hoses with a plastic pump) that costs probably $7.00. This works on the principle of a vacuum and works great. You can empty the tank into a 5 gal gas container and not have any worries.

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
Yeah, I was talking about clamping the drain lines before you lift the tank to avoid a mess. Then, position something under when you unclamp them so you don't spill any gasoline on the ground. There's a great howto on this site about how to lift the tank and there are pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the mod done tonight, made a huge huge difference. Didn't have to use the high beam at all and it gave me a ton of confidence. For those interested, if you do this with a full tank, it'll leak a little, but not much. Do it on a windy day, the fumes tend to build up between the tank and the frame, got a wicked headache... Thanks to those who helped.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I've lifted the tank up multiple times with a full tank, and I've never had fuel come out of the breather lines. Even if it does its a couple tiny drops and evaporates before I notice it.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I stored the bike this past winter with almost a full tank (and Sta-Bil of course). When I went to put the battery in, i propped it up the same way I have before but I did loose a little gas. It's def easier to do it with the tank close to empty.

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At the end of last year I had my tank completely full and then lifted it to remove the battery. There was more than a couple drops came out of the breather hoses and since I was in a garage with a wood stove going and people smoking the puddle of gas was not cool.