Battery / Sulphur smell.

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

My bike is a 2005 FZ6 Fazer with 21k on the clock, I am not sure of battery age although it starts well enough.

The problem is this.

I recently purchased an optimate 3 charger / tender with the intention of leaving the bike on charge / maintenance when not in use, I have installed the tender cable to the bike so that I don't need to remove the battery for charging.

Yesterday when I went to have a fiddle with the bike (as you do) I noticed a rather eggy smell / sulphur in the garage and immediately switched the charger off at the wall and disconnected it from the bike. I then left the bike for an hour or so and tested the voltage at the tender cable, volt meter said just under 14 volts. Switched the bike on without starting and all seemed well enough, pump primed without issue and all lights nice and bright.

Is it normal to get a sulphur smell from the battery when on a tender / charger or is the battery fooked? would rather swap out the battery just in case but don't want to waste cash this side of Christmas. I would have lifted the tank and examined the battery but I filled it to the top with premium fuel and stabilizer so the tank is pretty brimmed, would fuel come out if i tried?

Thanks,

Steve.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The battery should be checked after sitting for awhile. If its close to 13 volts sitting(not running), static voltage is fine.

You can do a poor mans load test and start the bike while watching the volt meter hooked up. It shouldn't drop below approx 10 volts (my old failing battery went as low as 8 volts but still started).

While your there, rev it up some slowly and the volltage should go up (max charge is at 5,000 RPM, around 14 volts).

Here's a link indicating the charger may be overcharging the battery causing the smell: Car battery emitting rotten egg smell - what danger to us? - Yahoo! Answers

IMHO, I wouldn't be using that charger. It sounds like its over charging.

Any of my "BMW" or "Battery Tender" brand NEVER had this issue. Those had a charge rate of 1.25 amp, fully automatic. I found the BMW charger took much longer to get a "Green" light. I think it charges just a little deeper.

A Battery Tender link for FAQ's: http://batterytender.com/resources/frequently-asked-questions

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ ++1
I'm guessing if you could have felt the temp on that battery it was pretty warm. In addition, those gases are very caustic under there. It wouldn't surprise me so see latent damage from the gases attacking everything.

I second that opinion and WOULD NOT be using it! Oh - yes at Brim full, there will be some spilling but mine didn't keep poring out. I think the tip-over valve may block it once straight up. Place a catch can under it a use it to kill some weeds!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I totally agree with the Scott and Randy! Do not use that charger! That gas is also ignitable. Most bike batteries are sealed sans maybe a vent for occasions such as over charging and heating so the case does not explode.

When you smell the sulfur get the area aired out and the charging off the battery. Where protective eye wear when working with batteries. They can have critical failure and explode. :eek:

Last edited:

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, update time.

removed my old battery, a GS GT 12 B4, failed to find any date on it except for 17Y99 on the top (branded into the plastic).

Tested voltage at rest after 24hours off the bike, 12.91 volts (with a DVM)

Inspected battery and could see no signs of leakage or any damage to any part of the case. Bike tray was undamaged also. Have doubts about the battery though so went a got a new one.

Varta YT 12B-BS - AGM battery, have filled it with acid, allowed to settle for and hour or so and now on trickle charge off the bike. Voltage at terminals after 20 minutes was 13.09 (charger connected).

Will wait until the optimate 3+ has finished and then install into bike, will then use the tether cable and leave on maintenance with the optimate 3+.

Hopefully a happy ending to my minor battery woes.

Thanks for advice folks.

Steve.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, update time.

removed my old battery, a GS GT 12 B4, failed to find any date on it except for 17Y99 on the top (branded into the plastic).

Tested voltage at rest after 24hours off the bike, 12.91 volts (with a DVM)

Inspected battery and could see no signs of leakage or any damage to any part of the case. Bike tray was undamaged also. Have doubts about the battery though so went a got a new one.

Varta YT 12B-BS - AGM battery, have filled it with acid, allowed to settle for and hour or so and now on trickle charge off the bike. Voltage at terminals after 20 minutes was 13.09 (charger connected).

Will wait until the optimate 3+ has finished and then install into bike, will then use the tether cable and leave on maintenance with the optimate 3+.

Hopefully a happy ending to my minor battery woes.

Thanks for advice folks.

Steve.

Do you know whether your charger has a defect and is overcharging the batteries? I thought your original problem was sulphur smell which usually indicates over charging or leakage. Although the battery could be defect the battery will not overcharge itself.

Do you have a dog and was it in the room when you when you smelled the sulphur? That's what I do....I blame it on the dog...:rolleyes:

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know whether your charger has a defect and is overcharging the batteries? I thought your original problem was sulphur smell which usually indicates over charging or leakage. Although the battery could be defect the battery will not overcharge itself.

Do you have a dog and was it in the room when you when you smelled the sulphur? That's what I do....I blame it on the dog...:rolleyes:

Looking at the battery, I hope I am wrong but it seems as though according to the date stamp that its a year 1999 battery but i must be mistaken surely, a gel battery would never have lasted that long.

The new battery got quite warm when I introduced the acid, this then settled and cooled nicely to room temp, the charger is currently kicking out 13.49 to 13.51 volts and seems to be doing it's job. I have a feeling that a cell within the old battery is on it's way out and gave up some gas. Could it be that the charger was de-sulphating the battery? would that cause the smell? I'm not sure but atleast now I can be happy in the knowledge I have a new battery for the coming season. The optimate 3+ charger is almost brand new and came highly recommended.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the battery, I hope I am wrong but it seems as though according to the date stamp that its a year 1999 battery but i must be mistaken surely, a gel battery would never have lasted that long.

The new battery got quite warm when I introduced the acid, this then settled and cooled nicely to room temp, the charger is currently kicking out 13.49 to 13.51 volts and seems to be doing it's job. I have a feeling that a cell within the old battery is on it's way out and gave up some gas. Could it be that the charger was de-sulphating the battery? would that cause the smell? I'm not sure but atleast now I can be happy in the knowledge I have a new battery for the coming season. The optimate 3+ charger is almost brand new and came highly recommended.

That makes sense. Could very well be what was happening. :)