battery access

K Rig

Reaction score
Visit site
okay i've just gotten my 04 fz6 and i've been practicing with the clutch in the driveway, however the battery died on me after a few starts (i killed it a few times)

Last night i spent a bit of time learning to get to the battery so i could charge it and, frankly its a bit of a pain moving unbolting the fairing to create clearance for the tank to swing up.

Noob question for everyone (go figure right?, first motorcycle) is there an easier way to charge the battery (dead, so running the bike isn't an option) than moving all this stuff to get to it? :confused:

I know this is on a car, but my chevy has a battery post for the positive terminal because the battery itself is covered by a washer tank, so you can charge of that easy-to-access post and any ground on the vehicle. I'm kinda wondering if my fazer has anything like that on it.

Thanks a million

no there is no remote terminal for the battery. I would recommend a battery tender and run the leads someplace you can access them easier. this will keep the battery fully charged. running the bike at idle doesn't do much to charge the battery. you'll need to get the rpm s up to do anything to charge the battery

You could also add a 12v outlet. Then you'd have an outlet for whatever you needed and could easily get a female end to use with a battery tender for charging. :thumbup:

TSPS-16ES.jpg

I've gone the battery tender route, it's easy to install and keeps the batt charged all the time. Battery access is easy. Just take out the top two tank bolts, take out the tank hinge bolt. Carefully slide the seat back to clear the faring, lift the seat up (not too far as to pull out your hose and wires). realine the the tank hinge bolt and reinstall bolt. Lift the tank up and hold it in place with a bungee cord as seen in BD's 43 headlight mod. Wire up the battery tender to battery terminals. Now just reverse everything that you have done to put the tank in place and you are good to go. It sounds hard but it really is easy and should take you about .5 hour. Longer ifens you drink a beer while you do it. Good Luck :cheer:

Doc:

I've gone the battery tender route, it's easy to install and keeps the batt charged all the time. Battery access is easy. Just take out the top two tank bolts, take out the tank hinge bolt. Carefully slide the tank back to clear the faring, lift the tank up (not too far as to pull out your hose and wires). realine the the tank hinge bolt and reinstall bolt. Lift the tank up and hold it in place with a bungee cord as seen in BD's 43 headlight mod. Wire up the battery tender to battery terminals. Now just reverse everything that you have done to put the tank in place and you are good to go. It sounds hard but it really is easy and should take you about .5 hour. Longer ifens you drink a beer while you do it. Good Luck :cheer:

Doc:

I've edited this quote from the original to say "tank" instead of "seat" in one of the sentences...

okay i've just gotten my 04 fz6 and i've been practicing with the clutch in the driveway, however the battery died on me after a few starts (i killed it a few times)

Last night i spent a bit of time learning to get to the battery so i could charge it and, frankly its a bit of a pain moving unbolting the fairing to create clearance for the tank to swing up.

Noob question for everyone (go figure right?, first motorcycle) is there an easier way to charge the battery (dead, so running the bike isn't an option) than moving all this stuff to get to it? :confused:

I know this is on a car, but my chevy has a battery post for the positive terminal because the battery itself is covered by a washer tank, so you can charge of that easy-to-access post and any ground on the vehicle. I'm kinda wondering if my fazer has anything like that on it.

Thanks a million

I Did a how-to on the tank removal: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/12650-gas-fuel-tank-removal.html

Once you are in there, install the Tender wire, - if nothing else it gives you pease of mind :)

A tip if I may.
When you run wires for your battery tender, be sure and install a 15 amp "inline" fuse close to the positive battery terminal.
That way, if you ever pinch your wires, you won`t short out your system.
All you will have to do is replace the fuse.

Back