Bag sag no more.....

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all here is how I "De-sagged" (not a word but it will do) my soft saddle bags. Went to the local farm store and bought a flat piece of stock. (aluminum) Cut two pieces (about 8 inches a piece) did a little bending on the work bench. Drilled a hole for mounting and sprayed with rubberized coating (which I don't recommend. I am going to try truck bed coating next) I have the Rumble Concepts FE this should work with the stock tail also. All in all material and spray cost about 6 bucks (or less if you have this stuff lying around) Just a cheap way of keeping your bags off of the pipes and turn signals.

Before

IMG_3713.jpg

After

IMG_3717.jpg

Without bags

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3715-1.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was skeptical to enter this thread for fear of the title.... ;)

Nicely done! I love innovation!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
do they just rest? or how do they attach and become stable? very cool solution though, i am working on something of my own to solve this on my bike.

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
Another way to accompish this is to buy some PVC pipe (3/4"?); cut about 10-12 inch pieces and slide it over your folded rear footpegs..

OhHellYeah

Reaction score
Visit site
Another way to accompish this is to buy some PVC pipe (3/4"?); cut about 10-12 inch pieces and slide it over your folded rear footpegs..

great heads-up! I'm a huge fan of the "K.I.S.S." Rule, plus not too handy in the workshop, so PVC it is! Wait...what's PVC pipe? I'm sure the hardware store guy can direct me

I'm planning a three-week road-trip in another month, so I'm lovingly soaking in any & all trip-handy tips. Thanks for the ideas!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought that trick only works with the pre '07 FZ6's.... I know it worked on my '05 as I used to do it, but never tried on my '07. I know the '07 passenger pegs are different. Besides, what are you gonna' do if you need to carry a passenger? Still, it worked well for me on my '05.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
great heads-up! I'm a huge fan of the "K.I.S.S." Rule, plus not too handy in the workshop, so PVC it is! Wait...what's PVC pipe? I'm sure the hardware store guy can direct me

I can't tell if you're kidding or not, since my sarcasm meter is currently broken and in the shop, so I'll explain: PVC stands for Polyvinyl Chloride, basically a form of plastic. It's commonly used in modern home construction plumbing for waste/drain lines, and usually appears in white with black lettering. You may also see it in grey for electrical conduit. Head for the plumbing section and when you see big piles of white plastic tubing, you're in the right area. Sometimes you can hack off a bit with a provided saw and purchase just that. Don't worry, it's not expensive.

@ the OP: interesting approach, clever idea on the brackets, thanks for sharing.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought that trick only works with the pre '07 FZ6's.... I know it worked on my '05 as I used to do it, but never tried on my '07. I know the '07 passenger pegs are different. Besides, what are you gonna' do if you need to carry a passenger? Still, it worked well for me on my '05.

I used a 1 X 2 X 12ish to support my saddlebags on my 07. I just slide the wood above the exhaust bracket. If you look at your bike you'll see what I mean. It made all the difference in the world.

This solution is much more elegant. Nice job! :thumbup:

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
do they just rest? or how do they attach and become stable? very cool solution though, i am working on something of my own to solve this on my bike.

Yes, the bags just rest on the brackets. I used a bend on the end of the brackets to avoid the "dig in" fearing that it might rip or puncture the bags. So far they work really well. :cheer:

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm planning a three-week road-trip in another month, so I'm lovingly soaking in any & all trip-handy tips. Thanks for the ideas!

This was very simple to do. Total time bending and cutting the metal was around 5 minutes and drilling a couple of holes adds only another minute. Have a great trip.... Where ya going?

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
I was skeptical to enter this thread for fear of the title.... ;)

Nicely done! I love innovation!

Ha, yeah the title is welllllllllll not very reassuring but it does work. It lures you in and why not this is a cheap cheap cheap way to keep your bags cool and tidy up the rear end as well almost making it look like they were meant to be there. (stock equipment)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, yeah the title is welllllllllll not very reassuring but it does work. It lures you in and why not this is a cheap cheap cheap way to keep your bags cool and tidy up the rear end as well almost making it look like they were meant to be there. (stock equipment)

One suggestion? You know the plastic dip that they sell to dip and create a handle on tools? You could dip the ends that touch the bags in that to make them smooth and protected. Even with the bend, the bags will wear. Another thought is to make a larger flat plate out of a sheet of thick ABS plastic that sort if mimics the back of the bag and either find a way to clip it to the bars that makes it easy to remove, or, velcro them to the back of the bags themselves to stiffen up the whole surface?

Still a very cool idea!