Back from a rev-happy nooner

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Went for a quick 50 mile spin instead of eating lunch :thumbup:
Decided to give the whole "keep the revs up" thing a try to the whole ride. I normally keep it at around 5k and only take it to red line every now and then.
So on this ride, I kept it at about 8-10k the entire time (which was pretty much 2nd gear for my back country route at 45-65mph).
Man.. it really IS like having 2 bikes! Very quick response in that rpm range and very quick pick-up. Gotta say though.. be VERY careful if you're carrying high RPMs into a turn.. transition from braking to rolling back on the throttle is quite abrupt and I can see how giving it just a bit too much juice when you're leaned over can break the tire loose.
All in all, really fun stuff, but I can't see myself riding like that all the time. It's the opposite of "relaxing", imho

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I found the same thing in the turns. I can't keep the throttle smooth enough at high rpm in a low gear to avoid lurchy movements.

Oh there's definitely a way to do it smoothly. If you trail-brake lightly into a turn, start rolling on the throttle and then slowly release rear brake, it's quite smooth. BUT.. as I said, it's just not relaxing to ride like this.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"Rev-Happy Nooner" WBAGNFARB*!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

* Would be a good name for a rock band.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Erci, I tried a little of this Sat. and Sun. in 3rd and 4th and DID find it more enjoyable than quickly going up to 6th only to go back down at the next 1/2 mile stop light. Then the problem was the CARS in front of me!!! It just feels or sounds like it wants to be shifted at 3500!! I think there is a whistling sound right there that the brain says OK, time to shift! I'm sure everybody doesn't need to be at 10000 all the time!! It would be nice to keep this thread going for us and all the newbies, huh?

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I've tried this a few times too. Since I drilled my exhaust, I've felt the need to hear more noise and also found out that (I think) it feels like my bike got more power. I went onto the highway and kept it above 8K
RPM; the bike felt different -- lots of power up there :rockon:.

There was so much that I think if you want to stay up there regularly, you need a stiffer suspension. I felt there was too much rear end squat and front end dive due to hard acceleration and hard engine braking respectively. Next time I ride like this, I'm going to bump my rear rear pre-load a notch or two; I think I'm already at 5.

Dennis

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, when your in the higher rev ranges it tends to show some of the suspension weakness of the stock set up...the front end dive being the worst (imo). Those race tech springs look very tempting indeed.

A slipper clutch wouldn't hurt either...but if we wanted all that we would have bought an R6;)

Still boat loads of fun either way, learning proper corner entry,gear selection, braking, apex, exit.. nothing better than 80 MPH education:rockon:

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
It's the opposite of "relaxing", imho

+1

Even in the gnarliest twisties, I'm usually running a pretty high gear. Generally my sweet spot is in 5th at 35 to 65mph. Lower gears would certainly pull harder and provide better compression braking, but that's not what I'm into. The higher gear minimizes the snatch during on/off throttle transitions. Less vibration, noise, etc also allow me more mental bandwidth to focus on the task at hand.

In other words, its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down. :)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
When in those rpm's try not to use the brakes at all. Let the engine do your slowing down a little sooner then hold your rpm steady through the turn and roll on the throttle through the exit of the turn. Whoo Hoo!

Did a great mountian road last sunday for over 30 miles between 7 and 13k rpm in 2nd and 3rd with even a little 4th. Rarely touched the front brake.( true with all my twisty rides on any bike I ride) Double Whoo Hoo!!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hold your rpm steady through the turn and roll on the throttle through the exit of the turn.

Are you suggesting being on the throttle with brakes off before you tip the bike in? This, of course, makes sense for curves, but what about sharp 90 degree turns? Like when you need to slow down from 60 to 15? This is where I found trail braking to work best for me. Sure I could have just let off the gas much sooner and let engine braking bring me down from 60 to 15, but that's not as fun as keeping it at 60 until I'm pretty close to the turn :D

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
60 to 15? That's not a turn, that's a bus stop :)
I was talking more like 25 or 35 mph corners for a cage that you will be doing close to double that. Eh?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
60 to 15? That's not a turn, that's a bus stop :)
I was talking more like 25 or 35 mph corners for a cage that you will be doing close to double that. Eh?

LOL.. yeah, for corners like that your approach works great. For a 90 degree T-intersection, I find trail-braking to be the smoothest technique (not really sure what my entry speed is.. not looking at the speedo at that point)

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
too much noise for such a quiet bike too. and revving on 2nd really means the engine is screaming and youre going with around 70km... which is kinda silly:rolleyes: