AZ FZ Riders

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Renaissance festival is going on out that way the next couple of weekends. I'm going today, but be warned the 60 minute ride to Superior is going to take a little longer (for those of us in Phoenix).

No ride post Sky? :spank:

Yeah, I went on a ride with the BMW Rim Riders yesterday and I'm exhausted. We went to Payson to Camp Verde to Payson back home. These guys ride really hard and really fast, probably all would be close to experienced/expert rider status. I upped my new triple digit speed to the mid triples though, LOL. I also only blew one corner, still scared the eff out of me, thank god no oncoming traffic. I'll tell you what having the Fz1 I was able to keep up because I could pull hard in the straights, they still lost me in the corners because I don't have the confidence and I still don't like my tire set up. I feel like the tire gives/slides a little at times when I need it to be sticky. I'm running Michelin PR2's and I know people run them at the track but I'm just not a fan. Or maybe it's just the Fz1 is so top heavy it can't really get leaned over as well. I dunno, but I want to figure it out because I hate getting left in the dust.

I was going to try and post a ride for today but being too tired and I was out late last night, it just didn't happen.

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ssky0078 and I are planning to ride Mt Lemmon Sat. April 27th. Likely route is US 60 from Mesa to Superior then down 177/77 to Catalina then around and up to the summit of Mt Lemmon. If anyone wants to join us (or meet us in Tucson for that portion of the ride) we'd be glad to have you along.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Ssky0078 and I are planning to ride Mt Lemmon Sat. April 27th. Likely route is US 60 from Mesa to Superior then down 177/77 to Catalina then around and up to the summit of Mt Lemmon. If anyone wants to join us (or meet us in Tucson for that portion of the ride) we'd be glad to have you along.

This is the map for all those interested. A little bit of long ride. Probably take a stop in Globe (I know a little cafe/diner that is good).

View attachment 47594

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Meet is set for 9am at Fiesta Mall Best Buy. There are going to be between 6-8 of us going for sure, but we'd love to meet some of you local AZ guys on here who haven't come out and ridden with us yet. Since Sky needs gas every 20 feet there will be plenty of stops to stretch! :BLAA:

Tucson guys - where must we eat down there?

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Meet is set for 9am at Fiesta Mall Best Buy. There are going to be between 6-8 of us going for sure, but we'd love to meet some of you local AZ guys on here who haven't come out and ridden with us yet. Since Sky needs gas every 20 feet there will be plenty of stops to stretch! :BLAA:

Tucson guys - where must we eat down there?

Funny. Really funny. It's the tortoise and the hare. I can outrun you for 100 miles but you'll catch up when I have to rest

tdbill

Reaction score
Visit site
How was it? I'm looking forward to Saturday...

Always a good time! I got caught behind a car following a box truck near the base. Combined with a decent amount of "seasonal" traffic, it is a little difficult to pass in that area, at least for a few miles. On the 28th there is a marathon, so aside from the typical bicyclists you may need to dodge runners as well. Also, saw a few sheriffs vehicle patroling...

Last edited:

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We made it to the top on Saturday! I'm jealous of you Tucson guys who can make that trip whenever you want. It was a long day (about 9 hours and ~450 miles) but the Mt. Lemmon Summit Road was worth the trip. I hope to be able to make it back on one of the next couple of weekends (albeit by taking the more direct I-10 route to save some time and soreness) along with 2 of the guys that made it down to Tucson with us but had to head home before we started up the mountain.

K9shep

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my 06 FZ a few weeks back. Need a new back tire before I do another long ride. Interested in a ride, I will keep checking here.

Wyomedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinkin about a ride to Globe, maybe Show Low on Tues, July 2nd. I got a new seat for the bike and I need a longer trip to see how it does. Leaving around 9am fron San Tan Valley, Ironwood hospital area, if anybody would like to go.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinkin about a ride to Globe, maybe Show Low on Tues, July 2nd. I got a new seat for the bike and I need a longer trip to see how it does. Leaving around 9am fron San Tan Valley, Ironwood hospital area, if anybody would like to go.

Next ride on a non workday, let me know. Couple of weeks ago I took a ride up 87 to 188 and back down. The ride thru Globe would be a good 75 mile route.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning on taking a ride up Yarnell and the Spars on Saturday, October 19 with a friend of mine.

Meetup
Where: Chevron on I-17 and Carefree highway (just east of exit)
When: 9 am on Saturday, October 19
Who: Sky (Fz1) and Brian (Monster 696)

We are both 35+ year old relatively reasonable guys. Don't go too fast but have fun. No wheelies or stunter BS (I feel like this should be a standard disclaimer after that group ride BS in NYC).

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
...We are both 35+ year old relatively reasonable guys. Don't go too fast but have fun. No wheelies or stunter BS (I feel like this should be a standard disclaimer after that group ride BS in NYC).

As I am unfamiliar with the area, I would like to get out for a ride and will possibly bring another rider along. Will check GPS/Google/Maps for directions.

I'm down with the riding style as I an 54 going on 80 and am not into the hooligan riding style :spank: in the news lately.