auto dark visor

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
I am in the market for a new helmet and want one with an integrated dark visor.

In my quest for the perfect helmet I have found that there is a US manufacturer of helmets, akumo I believe, that has visors for their helmets that darken with uv ray and become clear in the shade or at night. They say the clear to dark process takes about 2 minutes which is fine with me. Just wondering if anyone has one of these or has heard of them.

Also they are making a visor that you push a button for instant darkness. Works the same as the auto dark welding helmets.

The last thing with these helmets is they have lcd built into the helmet itself to illuminate the decals at night and an led light in the front you can turn on and off to look at maps and such while out riding at night.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My question would be how long does it take to get from dark to light.

Just imagine.....nice bright day, lotsof UV.....tunnel....oh S¤¤t it`s dark in here....

#########CRASH########BANG######WALLOP¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Just a thought

Steve

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting note.

I plan on seriously looking at a helmet with an integrated sun visor when I'm in the market again in about 4 years. (Assuming I don't crash it first!).

But I would consider an auto-darkening visor if one was available for my Shoei, cuz changing shields is a pain.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I know scorpion makes an auto darkening shield for its EXO-700 helmets. Also in their EXO-1000 helmet they have a flip down pair of "sunglasses" behind the visor.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think my BMW helmet has a flip down dark visor behind the clear visor.

You can flip it down while you are riding.

Steve

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
My question would be how long does it take to get from dark to light.

Just imagine.....nice bright day, lotsof UV.....tunnel....oh S¤¤t it`s dark in here....

#########CRASH########BANG######WALLOP¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Just a thought

Steve

To answer your time frame question I have read in a review it is 2 minutes to become dark and about 2 minutes when removed from uv rays to become light. May not be the best think if you have lots of long dark tunnels in your area and your headlight suddenly stops working.

To solve this problem they have also created another visor I mentioned before and they call it Tint on Demand (tod) and it is instant with the push of a button. I think they said it takes 1/10th of a second so tunnels would not be a problem. This visor is only available on their line of helmets as they have exclusive rights to the technology.

Got to the link
http://www.akumahelmets.com/home.php

They also have integrated led's in the back of the helmets that you can turn on or put to flash for high visibility at night.

Comes with a wall charger for the built in rechargable batteries. I think a charge is good for 25 hours of continuous use.

I love technology!!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To answer your time frame question I have read in a review it is 2 minutes to become dark and about 2 minutes when removed from uv rays to become light. May not be the best think if you have lots of long dark tunnels in your area and your headlight suddenly stops working.

To solve this problem they have also created another visor I mentioned before and they call it Tint on Demand (tod) and it is instant with the push of a button. I think they said it takes 1/10th of a second so tunnels would not be a problem. This visor is only available on their line of helmets as they have exclusive rights to the technology.

Got to the link
Akuma Helmets Official Website

They also have integrated led's in the back of the helmets that you can turn on or put to flash for high visibility at night.

Comes with a wall charger for the built in rechargable batteries. I think a charge is good for 25 hours of continuous use.

I love technology!!!
Or you could simply lift the visor?
Caberg make to very reasonably priced helmets with the internal visor. I have the cheaper trip and it is excellent.

The trip and the Justisimo.

Nelly

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought a helmet with the slide down smoke visor also. the "tinted" visor is useless, it is way to light. but i also went cheap and bought a hci helmet cuz the flow was low. i am looking for a new one with the flip or slide down visor inside. i saw one before but i can't remember the name Vemar i think.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a scorpion EXO 400 and I was also looking for the same shield. However, after reading the reviews, I think that I will just save the 25.00 and get a regular tinted shield. The complaint is that the shield does not get dark enough. It only gets about as dark as the light smoke shield if that.

Just an FYI, the auto tinting shield is 69.99 plus tax, the dark smoke shield is 35.99, and the Mirror Colored tinted shields are 45.99.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought a helmet with the slide down smoke visor also. the "tinted" visor is useless, it is way to light. but i also went cheap and bought a hci helmet cuz the flow was low. i am looking for a new one with the flip or slide down visor inside. i saw one before but i can't remember the name Vemar i think.

I am pretty sure HJC also makes one, and as mentioned before, the Scorpion EXO1000 series have the slide down visors.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
careful with the mirror shield Mississippi, a friend of mine had one for about three weeks and the mirror started flaking off. Just FYI :thumbup:

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
careful with the mirror shield Mississippi, a friend of mine had one for about three weeks and the mirror started flaking off. Just FYI :thumbup:

Thanks for the info. I had a blue one on my old helmet, with no problems, but I think I am going to go with the good ole dark smoke. Can't go wrong with the smoke.

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
Caberg helmets are not avaialbe in the US currently due to them not keeping up with demand. The US imported severed ties with them and noone has pick it up yet.

I have heard a lot of negative things on the exo-1000. Weighs 1 pound more than it should. Has lots of unneccesary things on it. Not a good helmet for people with a rounder head (me). Smells like cheap chocolate inside that gave me an instant headache when I tried it on at the dealer.

I have an hjc that I bought cause it was cheap and would like to try something new. The hjc cl-14 has done its job but it is time to move on. I will look into the hjc mentioned earlier with the built in tinted visor.

I just haven't been too impressed with the integrated tint visor. Seems too cheap on most helmets and adds weight. I like the idea better than carrying an extra visor though as I start work when its dark and leave when its light. I hate the thought of changing it everyday. Something is bound to break. Helmet clips or visors.

The search for the perfect helmet continues.

As for visor darkness on the auto tint a review I read says it gets as dark as the dark smoke. I guess it is something I would like to see in person to make a decision on.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Caberg helmets are not avaialbe in the US currently due to them not keeping up with demand. The US imported severed ties with them and noone has pick it up yet.

I have heard a lot of negative things on the exo-1000. Weighs 1 pound more than it should. Has lots of unneccesary things on it. Not a good helmet for people with a rounder head (me). Smells like cheap chocolate inside that gave me an instant headache when I tried it on at the dealer.

I have an hjc that I bought cause it was cheap and would like to try something new. The hjc cl-14 has done its job but it is time to move on. I will look into the hjc mentioned earlier with the built in tinted visor.

I just haven't been too impressed with the integrated tint visor. Seems too cheap on most helmets and adds weight. I like the idea better than carrying an extra visor though as I start work when its dark and leave when its light. I hate the thought of changing it everyday. Something is bound to break. Helmet clips or visors.

The search for the perfect helmet continues.

As for visor darkness on the auto tint a review I read says it gets as dark as the dark smoke. I guess it is something I would like to see in person to make a decision on.
If you want a caberg, I would be happy to source one for you (from the UK)

Nelly

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Caberg trip with internal flip down dark sun visor, love it (don't get to try it much here yet though).

The flip front is also very handy, makes getting the helmet on/off a breeze, and means no having to take the helmet off at petrol stations.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All this negativity about the Scorpion EXO-1000 :rolleyes: I like mine, it does not smell like chocolate, neither of my two mirror shields have "flaked", and it is not losing any parts.