August 16-18, 2013 - Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and West VA

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: Doesn't help if you're headed for Front Royal, but if you're just cutting over to Winchester or thereabouts, the shiny, new four lane WV-9 between US-340 in Charles Town and I-81 in Martinsville is the way to go now, bypassing Berryville. It just opened a few months ago.

Is Berryville still a giant ticket machine?

I haven't been down past Harper's Ferry in ages, but when I drove down there, the one cop on duty in Berryville would follow me from one end of town to the other EVERY FREAKING TIME.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Is Berryville still a giant ticket machine?

I haven't been down past Harper's Ferry in ages, but when I drove down there, the one cop on duty in Berryville would follow me from one end of town to the other EVERY FREAKING TIME.

Don't know about Berryville, but that describes a lot of places. You pretty much have to expect speed traps whenever the speed limit drops on a rural highway as you enter a town.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I just looked at your day1 (I will not be there for it) just as you cross into WV on 340 you'll see "Chestnut Hill Rd" (verrrry curvy) that rd is the only one in the area ill ride to just to ride it! I prefer "loop" rides over "there and back" rides but I make acception for CHrd! It's a little gritty now from winter but should be in primo shape by Aug!

Again, my plan is to meet-up in Front Royal at the start of day 2

I have sub'd to this thread!

Looking forward to this one!

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Again, my plan is to meet-up in Front Royal at the start of day 2

I have sub'd to this thread!

Looking forward to this one!

Day 2 starts in Buena Vista. Do you mean you will meet up Friday afternoon for Leg 2 In Front Royal? Or you will meet us on Saturday morning in Buena Vista?

Just want to clarify.

:Im With Stupid::D
I got the go ahead from the little lady. I'll ride out to G's house friday.
:steve:

Who is G? lol...and same question as above? Meeting us in Front Royal on Friday afternoon, or in Buena Vista on Saturday morning?

I'm excited to meet up and ride! Come on Warm weather!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Day 2 starts in Buena Vista. Do you mean you will meet up Friday afternoon for Leg 2 In Front Royal? Or you will meet us on Saturday morning in Buena Vista?

Just want to clarify.

Who is G? lol...and same question as above? Meeting us in Front Royal on Friday afternoon, or in Buena Vista on Saturday morning?

I'm excited to meet up and ride! Come on Warm weather!

Thats Garrett(phrank2k11), the guy that made his own exhaust and sold a few:thumbup:

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
AWWWW CRAP!!! I thought day 2 started in front royal! i was all set for a 2 day ride starting (semi) locally but Buena Vista is about 2-1/2 hrs south from home.

+2.75
11hrs riding on day 1

:surrender:
I can't make it. :(
The long a$$ 1st day wasn't enough to change my mind by itself, I just saw you're riding awfully close (or through) Richwood WV. My home town!! No way I can just pass by without staying to visit friends/family.

So sorry guys!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer, I have to bail out too. I'll be getting back from my CA trip just before the ride and funds will be low.
Sorry Peeps:(

Flydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't commit definitely, but this ride is intriguing. I live in Fairfax Station, VA, which is about 1.5 hours east of Front Royal. I've ridden south on skyline dr as far as Rt. 30, but would love to go further. My main concern is the weather. The potential for significant thunderstorms over that route at that time of year is great. And I must admit, riding in the rain is something I do my best to avoid. But given a favorable forecast, I might risk it.

Anyway, I would meet you all in Front Royal in time to start the first leg. I do have a GPS on my bike, but importing a specific route (it's a Garmin Nuvi 855) has been only marginally successful in the past. I'll keep an eye on this thread, and feel free to contact me at 703-405-5022 if you have any questions.

Howard Kahn

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
So sorry guys!

No worries! Thanks for considering!!

Bummer, I have to bail out too. I'll be getting back from my CA trip just before the ride and funds will be low.
Sorry Peeps:(

No worries as well! We'll miss having you guys. Motojoe, hopefully I can hook up with some of you guys on some other rides this summer. I shouldn't be too far from the Jersey riders!

Flydoc, Sounds great! Thanks for the info on the thunderstorms, that is something I considered and will have to keep an eye out. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how I missed this, but I am absolutely positively in (maybe) :). I'm planning to do the BRP in September/October during peak fall colors and hopefully optimum temperature.* Since I am mostly a tour virgin, I'm interested in getting some longer test rides in.

The starting point might as well be my backyard!

Just as a suggestion, you may also want to try the Big Lots/Food Lion lot here Google Maps

This essentially IS my backyard.

Cons of Total Wine/HD lot: often crowded, difficult to get in/out.
Cons of Big Logs/FL log: No gas or other forms of quick convenience.

If you have a large group of people unfamiliar with the area, it's something to consider.

* More details to come. I'll be shooting for a 3 week window, and pick the best weekend of weather. Starting in Wilmington, ending near Atlanta, staying at my uncles place, and either heading back or, (if I still HAVE a back), continuing on to Florida to visit my parents.

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone in northern virginia want to meet up in Front Royal for the ride let me know. We could possibly meet prior to this trip also. I am looking forward to the ride and meeting fellow fz6 owners.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this ride still a go? I'm 99% in if so. Just like Pook, starting point is very close to me. Always wanted to do the BRP, as a teaser for a Tail of The Dragon trip for Summer '14.

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep those date in mind. The BRP is on the list for this year, just don't know when yet. It's a hell of a ride for me but maybe I can meet up in DC or in the BRP. I'll let you know.

Ok Let's nail down the dates for sure, I am in if we can make the date definite soon. Like Marthy, coming from FL would put the bike on the auto train in Sanford and be in Lorton around 9:30 the morning of.

I came down 311 one time from White Sulphur springs in an overloaded service van and told myself to cross if off my map, going back up on a bike... hell yea. been looking to get back to VA for just me....

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, All!

This Ride is still a go and I'm sorry I've been out of the loop for awhile!

We need to nail down who exactly is going so we can get rooms reserved at the hotels.

The dates listed on the original post are still good. The 16th through the 18th.

Let's get a list of people interested! Please PM me if you are interested or have any questions!

I would like to reserve the rooms ASAP!

Also, Let's discuss if we want to take the alternate route on Day 3 or the longer route. I'd prefer the original but am not sure if that will be too much riding.

So Excited!

Last edited:

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
Let's get a list of people interested! Please PM me if you are interested or have any questions!

OK I'm in.
coming in Friday, keep us informed. replied to PM