Anyone seen/have this tail light?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Yamaha FZ6 Sequential LED Tail Light

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this one. Trying to decide if I want to pay the $80 for this one, or $80 for the board that I designed.

Mine isn't sequential... Mine is bright as **** but the difference between running and brake isn't much. Mine also isn't yellow for the blinkers.

Anyway, thoughts?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My personal opinion is that there is good reason to keep directional indicators separate from the tail light. Motorist aren't generally paying attention to your brake light for directionals so I think is less visible and less safe. I've see these on the FZ6 and the directional flashing was dim and it took away from the brake light signal's brightness. I love the LED brake lights and I think they're superior but the directional part needs work and is not in a safe physical location for discrimination.
It's already a problem getting people to pay attention to driving. I think the integrateds look cool but....:rolleyes:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, well I was keeping my Rizoma blinkers as well. Mostly cause I totally agree with you on the integrated only turn signals. Besides I like my tiny, stupid bright Rizoma's. And the more things flashing the better, IMHO.

Of course, a turn signal out here is almost like giving battle plans away to the enemy. It's like they won't notice you 'til you thumb that turn signal and then suddenly they want to go faster than you.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
had one on my bike when i got it and switched it back to stock. riding with my father-in-law early on and he said he couldn't really see them. then on a trip with him i was pulled over to the side of the road with my flashers on. asked my wife if she could see them (when she pulled up following in a truck) and she said she didn't even know they were on. that did it. i want people to see my lights. shoot, if i had the money i'd add MORE lights.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, well I was keeping my Rizoma blinkers as well. Mostly cause I totally agree with you on the integrated only turn signals. Besides I like my tiny, stupid bright Rizoma's. And the more things flashing the better, IMHO.

Of course, a turn signal out here is almost like giving battle plans away to the enemy. It's like they won't notice you 'til you thumb that turn signal and then suddenly they want to go faster than you.

Exactly! Put your flasher on and you're signaling to them that your cutting in line at the supermarket! They are not motor vehicle operators they are shoppers! Hahaha! Now where's my stick? I'm hungry and see a termite mound over there!

WORBC

WOuld Rather Be Cycling
Reaction score
www.smallsats.com
2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Yamaha FZ6 Sequential LED Tail Light

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this one. Trying to decide if I want to pay the $80 for this one, or $80 for the board that I designed.

Mine isn't sequential... Mine is bright as **** but the difference between running and brake isn't much. Mine also isn't yellow for the blinkers.

Anyway, thoughts?

I have the clear altertives version and it works great, bright, blinkers are yellow, break light is very bright, and easily seen. However, I went ahead and still installed small LED blinkers on each side of my lic plate just for the extra visibility.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't really say that I'm a fan of the sequential blinker. I have the clear alternative integrated tail light and like it. I also integrated my front turn signals into the headlight casing, so I have no post mounted turn signals. Honestly, I don't think it has made a difference with cagers. However, with other riders, they have told me that what I have now is way brighter and catches their eyes more.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I am going to agree with the consensus here as well. While in design, I like how you can integrate everything into one unit to clean up the rear of the bike, but when it comes down to it, I think safety is always a bigger concern, especially as cars don't see us as it is. This is also the reason I have not put flush mounted signals up front.

PipBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an integrated tail light kinda similar to that, but it is IN ADDITION to my rear blinkers. The way I see it is that there a twice as many things blinking on the rea:Flash:r, so I'm that much more visible I wouldn't rely solely on the tail light blinker though :spank:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a LED replacement headlight, with integrated indicators...i just didnt hook up the indicator leads...for all the reasons outlined above...

But i did not pay $80 for the LED replacement tail light, i payed $20 plus shipping on Ebay....You have to trawl through the Worldwide FZ6 listing's on E-Bay, before you find a good $20 replacement tail light...but they are out there...sealed units, with super bright LED's, and a sealed wiring loom with a plug that matches OEM fittings.

Have a look around on E-Bay International...

:thumbup:

daletucker

Reaction score
Visit site
i have the smoked tinted version of that taillight. i think its pretty damn bright myself. i like it. now i am not saying that i will not add extra lights to indicate my intention of turning but i really do like the smoked tail and the led lighting system. and the sequential part of it is just nifty rather than functional. but yes i love my taillight and do have plans to add additional indicators after i receive my resistors for my front leds to slow the flash rate down. but all in all i like it! :thumbup:

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
pros and cons...

pros
-the 3 quick flashes upon braking is an EXCELLENT feature. check out ambulances in your area. many of them have that same feature and it is very quick to draw in your attention/eye

-the clear lense is a nice look and the leds are very bright.

-more efficient (electrically speaking) than incandesant bulbs...more reliable too. i once had my tail light burn out and didnt know if for a while...not cool

cons
-integrated turn signals are just as has been mentioned...a bad idea

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the smoked tinted version of that taillight. i think its pretty damn bright myself. i like it. now i am not saying that i will not add extra lights to indicate my intention of turning but i really do like the smoked tail and the led lighting system. and the sequential part of it is just nifty rather than functional. but yes i love my taillight and do have plans to add additional indicators after i receive my resistors for my front leds to slow the flash rate down. but all in all i like it! :thumbup:

You can replace the flasher relay with one that will flash at the correct rate. That will eliminate the need for resistors. The resistors emulate the load of an incandescent lamp.

daredevil27

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I have a intergrated tail light with the bulit in LED flashers. In my opinion there are very bright even during the day. Ive never had anyone mentions how its not visible. Although i do undestand everyone elses concern on the idea. I also attached a picture:)

daletucker

Reaction score
Visit site
You can replace the flasher relay with one that will flash at the correct rate. That will eliminate the need for resistors. The resistors emulate the load of an incandescent lamp.

you know one of these days i will google stuff before asking on here. i found the website for the flasher relay. here it is.

Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

it is plug and play and $20. yup gonna get one. thanks again Motogiro

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed the Motodynamics taillight. Its great, very bright and really cleans up the rear, especially with my LED license plate bolts. The only issue I have is that it doesn't fit quite as snug as the stock unit does.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site

Cool man. I think I'll put the clear on then. I never really liked the smoked version of any tail light.

And I'm keeping my blinkers back there. I paid like $120 for the Rizoma's after the lowside broke my left blinker. So it's not like I'm just taking them off. Besides they're bright and visible from all angles. Seriously, from behind, even during the day they make you squint. My buddy complains every time we ride together how bright they are.

Keeping those. Totally. I think I'm going to put these as my mirrors and if they're bright enough, pull my front turn signals.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Integrated-Motorcycle-Mirrors-Kawasaki/dp/B004PC5G08]Amazon.com: Universal Black Integrated Motorcycle Racing Mirrors for Street Sport Bikes Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Ducati: Automotive[/ame]

Last edited:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to revive an old thread, but is it possible to install this light without hooking up the directionals? I'm mainly interested in having LEDs instead of a bulb, and the 3 flashes (stop alert) when you touch the brake. Anyone can tell me if it can be hooked up and work fine without the directionals?

Also, how about hooking up the directionals, but leaving the stock ones as well, wouldn't that make it even better?

Nick329

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to revive an old thread, but is it possible to install this light without hooking up the directionals? I'm mainly interested in having LEDs instead of a bulb, and the 3 flashes (stop alert) when you touch the brake. Anyone can tell me if it can be hooked up and work fine without the directionals?

Also, how about hooking up the directionals, but leaving the stock ones as well, wouldn't that make it even better?

You can hook it up so it's just the running/brake light; just don't connect the sub harness to the turn signals. And you can run turn signals with the sequential signals of the taillight, you will have to splice wires to achieve that though.