Anyone ridden a YZFR-6? R? 2007 or up?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm in the market for another bike, and am really interested in upgrading from the FZ6 that I liked a lot... except for the wind noise off the fairing, and the roast yer nutz understeat exhaust (great in ttheory), and the weak suspension.

The YZRF6 sounds like a great upgrade, used I can pick one up for around $6K, with 4-6K miles on it. Since the motor is very closely related, I should be able to expect similar power delivery... better suspension and less weight can only mean good things as far as handling is concerned.

Has any current FZ6 owner ridden a recent model YZFR6?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I rode my friend's 2008 a few weeks ago. I was extremely cramped and did not feel comfortable pushing the bike because I felt like I was perched on top of it and could only move my ankles and fingers. This is likely because I'm 6'3", he had the rearsets in the most extreme position, and he has the bike set up for GP shift.

It's a great bike...definitely a better performer when it comes to outright corner speed, brakes, and power. Not nearly as good of a touring bike of course.

Sounds like you want a SS. I would go sit on all of them, do some reading, and figure out which one appeals to you the most. They are all very nice, but some are more focused in certain ways than others. The R6 has a reputation for being razor sharp and high strung, the GSXR 600 for being roomier and having good midrange, etc. etc.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks for the input. Having moved out of the mountains where I had an hour + commute on the sort of roads you see around Julian, CA to what will be mostly 40 minute runs on highways in much, much hotter and humid conditions, I think I can get a more focused bike -- I won't be doing any touring. Mostly commuting and an occasional day trip.

I've thought about picking up various liter plus sport rigs. I don't want the weight or the size. Stupid power is fun; as straight as the roads are here, I would end up getting a triple digit speeding ticket out of boredom.

I'm 5' 9" with 'normal' inseam (31") and don't mind tip toeing a bike. Dual sports don't really do it for me, as they tend to be too soft in power delivery.

I don't want good fairing coverage. It's already too hot. I want airflow. If I am riding in the winter month(s), I can add a wind screen then.

Someone has an '04 FZ6 for sale just South of Richmond, VA with less than 10K miles on it. That's slightly more than half the cost of an '07 YZFR6..... a beast I know, with problems I already know what to do to make bearable, or something 50 lbs lighter with peaky power?

I've sat on an R1, and on the R6... neither one strikes me as anywhere near as painful as I thought SS were, 5-10 years ago. Could be the Fz6 took me far enough in that direction that it seems reasonable, now.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I rode my friend's 2008 a few weeks ago. I was extremely cramped and did not feel comfortable pushing the bike because I felt like I was perched on top of it and could only move my ankles and fingers. This is likely because I'm 6'3", he had the rearsets in the most extreme position, and he has the bike set up for GP shift.

It's a great bike...definitely a better performer when it comes to outright corner speed, brakes, and power. Not nearly as good of a touring bike of course.

Sounds like you want a SS. I would go sit on all of them, do some reading, and figure out which one appeals to you the most. They are all very nice, but some are more focused in certain ways than others. The R6 has a reputation for being razor sharp and high strung, the GSXR 600 for being roomier and having good midrange, etc. etc.

+1 on being cramped for taller riders.

It's pretty close in size to the R1 but good god it is stupendously cramped for rider triangle. The R1 was a perfect fit, especially with rearsets.

But yeah, sit on them all, evaluate the kind of power delivery you want etc, then find one priced right.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. . . . . . I've sat on an R1, and on the R6... neither one strikes me as anywhere near as painful as I thought SS were, 5-10 years ago. Could be the Fz6 took me far enough in that direction that it seems reasonable, now.

Interesting statement there - what I got from above is more time in the saddle doing less corners. IMO your gonna hate being hunched over a tank if you don't have the option to dip it in the corners on a regular basis - its just to hard on the back. Then again - maybe I'm just getting old!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Interesting statement there - what I got from above is more time in the saddle doing less corners. IMO your gonna hate being hunched over a tank if you don't have the option to dip it in the corners on a regular basis - its just to hard on the back. Then again - maybe I'm just getting old!

It's actually going to be less riding time, so I might as well enjoy it as much as possible. If it's as hot in the summer as I KNOW it's going to be, I need as much airflow as I can get.

I used to commute from St. Helens/Rainier, into Hillsboro via Skyline Blvd. Picking that up at Rocky point Rd.... a good ride indeed.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have not ridden either but the newer (2008 & up) CBR600RR's are supposed to be more comfy the the R6 as a street bike. If my kids didn't spend all of my money would have thought about the Honda. I'm 5,10 and have the FZ1 bars but would like a little more upright position the the R6 or CBR. Seems like I read somewhere the FZ6 is like a 600 in a literbike frame. Longer wheelbase than the R6. I need the R6 or CBR for the on/off ramps on the work commute. :)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Well, the decision is made..... I bought a 2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R today. The thing is nearly spotless, with an M4 can as the only mod.

[url]http://mail.aol.com/35775-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=33394443&folder=%2fSaved%2fmotorcycle+listings&partId=3&saveAs=DSC_0979.JPG

[url]http://mail.aol.com/35775-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=33394443&folder=%2fSaved%2fmotorcycle+listings&partId=4&saveAs=DSC_0977.JPG[/url]

[url]http://mail.aol.com/35775-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=33394443&folder=%2fSaved%2fmotorcycle+listings&partId=5&saveAs=DSC_0978.JPG

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an 09 ZX-6R as well. It was a great bike, very fast at the track and comfortable on the street for 300 mile rides. It had the smoothest shifting transmission I ever felt on a motorcycle. RIP...

Congratulations!!