Anyone removed this?

B

bluenova

I do it a few times a year. Nasty job. I scoop the gunk out then give it a bit of a clean with WD40 but I don't go over the top. Never had to remove the shift linkage though.

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
Did mine tonight, it was really horrible. Get plenty of newspaper down, plenty of rags handy and something to scrape the crap out with. I used Paraffin.

I will be doing this regularly from now on.

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
I remember I took mines off at around 4,000 and it was a mess. I used a plastic sraper to remove most of the gunk and the rest with brake cleaner and a rag. This was done before I discovered the Du Pont Teflon lubricant that many have been raving about. Before this I used the Maxima chain lube and eventhough they advertise its "anti-fling" properties, it still flung all over. With the Du Pont, there is hardly any fling-off whatsoever and should help keep the cover stay cleaner longer.

Ditto on the Maxima Chain Wax. I used this for a long time before going with the DuPont stuff. I popped my cover off the night before last and found huge amounts of crap in there, lol. It took awhile to clean it all out, but got the job done. The debris smelled of Maxima wax.

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
Hm, must include a warning which states, not for the faint heart, I took out mine earlier this week, and ended up spending the whole day cleaning god knows what beneath it....hehe

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Well thank you all for this grat tip. I never knew about this at all.
NO worries, couple days ago bought some tools finally, did my oil change my self first time ever (that felt good, i tell ya) and now I will start cleaning this area once I lub the chain.
Thank you all. Thats why on this forum, anything and everything is possible.
:thumbup:

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I will pull mine off once in awhile and just knock most of it off with a screwdriver or something and put it back on. Don't feel like I need to get it sqweaky clean as it's just going to get dirty again. That or I'm just lazy as h3ll.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Bit the bullet and cleaned this today. Not as bad as I thought, but still very grungy. Here are some before and after shots.

DSCF4852.JPG

DSCF4855.JPG

DSCF4853.JPG

DSCF4856.JPG

I used a combination of scraping out the goop with a small putty knife, then used some engine degreaser, kerosene and a tooth brush (shhh..don't tell my wife I used hers!!)

Also found out that I was missing one of the cover bolts on the bottom. I only had 2 out of the 3.

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You did sterilize the wife's tooth brush before putting it back right??;)

Looks much better. not bad for 4 years ??