Anyone have a smiliar problem?

ThePaul

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new here so hello everyone. Anyway, I was leaving school and as I backed out of the parking lot my bike seemed a bit harder than usual to back it up *flat ground* and a few miles down the road I noticed the steering was a little stiff too. I had a look at my bike when I got home but didn't notice anything strange *I'm not too savvy about bike problems though*. The ride to school was fine, but there is some road construction where the road is really rough and bumpy, maybe that did it?

*7000 miles on it.

Does anyone have any idea whats up? I'll appreciate any help.

-Paul

H

HavBlue

Have you checked the tire pressure?

My thoughts too. It has been my experience the bike will ride really good with the tires down around the 30psi mark however, it steers like a truck and it is harder to turn as well.

ThePaul

Reaction score
Visit site
Appreciate the responses, it was dark when I got home so I didn't have the chance to check out the tire pressure, but it was stiff to turn. I'll be checking the tire pressure first thing in the morning. Thanks for the ideas.
-Paul

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
im wondering if someone maybe knocked your bike over while it was parked? i have heard of stranger things (which means they picked it up after) so just curious, do you notice any damage to the bike or its components?

ThePaul

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Everyone I'm incredibly relieved to say it was only VERY low tire pressure on both tires, especially rear. Hard to notice when sitting on the bike. I didn't have a pressure gague handy, but after stopping to air up the tires checked and my tires were at: front = 20psi, rear = less than 20 psi. No idea how I didn't notice the change, maybe a hole? I'll have to look into that, but it runs great now.

-Thanks, Paul

H

HavBlue

Thanks for letting us know Paul. I generally check mine while doing the T inspections before each ride.

Ride safe,
Charlie

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is good practice for me to check the air pressure twice a week during the summer, the temperature changes alone from morning and night can be enogh to change the internal pressures. In theory you should check it before every ride because the barometric pressure changes on a daily basis.

H

HavBlue

it is good practice for me to check the air pressure twice a week during the summer, the temperature changes alone from morning and night can be enogh to change the internal pressures. In theory you should check it before every ride because the barometric pressure changes on a daily basis.

Depending on where you live altitude can change tire pressure as well. Road temperature will also cause variations in tire pressure. One thing is certain, changes in pressure will effect tire temperatures which will also change handling and ride characteristics.

ThePaul

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the possible reasons the pressure changed *altitude,temp...* turns out I have a huge nail in my back tire. anyone know about what its going to cost to get it fixed?
-Paul

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the possible reasons the pressure changed *altitude,temp...* turns out I have a huge nail in my back tire. anyone know about what its going to cost to get it fixed?
-Paul

that depends if you want to patch/plug or replace.
A plug would only be a few bux but a new tire (my preferred method) would be around 120-200 depending on the tire and how much you pay to have it put on.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
also as you get more used to testing the pressure in your tires you can feel them by hand and notice if they are low, but start out with a tire gauge and then squeeze them by hand to get the "feel" of how they should be.