Anyone have a 3rd party mount for their action cam?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a Sony action cam for Xmas, and it is really thin on mounts. It comes with a curved and smooth adhesive mount only. I am not a big fan of helmet mounted vids because if you are riding safely, your head is constantly in motion.

It has a standard 1/4-20 tripod socket, so I am hoping there is a generous number of compatible products.

I really like the bike-mounted point of view, so I will be purchasing one or more additional mounts. The bike is not naked, and the windscreen is tinted so tank mounting will need to be high up or off to the side.

I am just in the data-gathering stage, so I am trying to find out what the options are and more importantly what mounts are reliable and which are junk. I saw the camera-position thread, so I think I have a good feeling for where things can be mounted.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks, and next time you see me you better smile ! :Sport:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried a few different 1/4" tripod mounts with my Contour, none of which I'm thrilled with, but I usually fall back to this one mounted on a mirror arm (prone to vibrations there) or the grab bars (to face rearward.) No tools needed to move it is a plus.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ISU8BU]Amazon.com: Bicycle Handlebar Camera & Camcorder Mount for GoPro , Flip MinoHD and UltraHD , Kodak PlaySport , Sony Bloggie , Vivitar , GE DV1 , Toshiba Camileo Pocket Video Camcorders - by USA Gear: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Otherwise, I use the Contour-specific strap mounts on various places on the frame.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AT3EEU]Amazon.com: Contour 2755 Flex Strap Mount for Contour Cameras: Camera & Photo[/ame]

I've also tried this suction cup mount on the tank. It's very stable and secure, but like your windscreen, my MRA Vario screen gets in the way of a clean video. It should work on the flat section of plastic between seat and tail light, but I haven't tried that on the road yet.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000246ST6]Amazon.com: Panavise 809 Camera Window Suction-Cup Mount: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Finally, I replaced one of the handlebar mount bolts with this RAM mount ball, and added the pieces to mount a camera (or my Garmin.) Again, the windscreen and gauges will be in the way.

RAM Mount Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp RAM-B-367U

Have a browse through all the RAM mount options, here. The possibilities are endless.

Motorcycle Mounts products available for sale at GPS City

Hopefully the lens on your camera rotates to accommodate the odd angles at which it may be mounted.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How about mounting it lower, just under the ft fairing (actually to the fairing), or attach to the lower triple clamp. I know there's several threaded bolt holes for the brakes line you could use. It'd be pretty much out of site too!

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
How about mounting it lower, just under the ft fairing (actually to the fairing), or attach to the lower triple clamp. I know there's several threaded bolt holes for the brakes line you could use. It'd be pretty much out of site too!

Meant to try that spot last year, but never got around to rigging something up. My suction cup mount is too large -- the camera might hit the fender on bumps. The horn bracket bolt looks to be in a usable spot, too, somehow.

Here are GTPAddict's helpful pics and video on mounting at that location:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/42983-gopro-hero2-2.html#post467911

And the other thread Trepetti mentioned:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-videos/49034-fz6-camera-mounting-positions.html

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, there should be enough room to HARD MOUNT the camera down there. It would be very protected, I would NOT trust and suction mount on a bike.

Heck, my suction mount inside the windshield on my cage falls off...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the SW Motech tankbag mounting system, and got their camera mount which also attaches to the gas cap ring:

DSC0032.jpg

The base actually has rubber vibration studs, very nice! For a good video you have to remove the windshield, but I normally do that during the summer anyway.
Its not the cheapest solution, and if you're an aggressive rider who hugs the tank, you won't like the gascap ring mount. But, that's what I use.