Anybody up for Bear Mountain outing sometime soon ( next week)?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How long of a route are you thinking?

I usually spend about 3 hours there.. 100 miles or so (plus the 150 for back and forth).

I don't know which direction people are coming from, but would this work for a starting point (CVS)? https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.0...4.262562&spn=0.002414,0.005284&num=1&t=m&z=18

That's 1 hour 15 minutes from me. I can be there at 10:15. If I leave earlier, I'll likely hit 287 traffic.

Hourly forecast looks ok for 10 to 4. Bring your rain gear though!

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually spend about 3 hours there.. 100 miles or so (plus the 150 for back and forth).

I don't know which direction people are coming from, but would this work for a starting point (CVS)? https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.0...4.262562&spn=0.002414,0.005284&num=1&t=m&z=18

That's 1 hour 15 minutes from me. I can be there at 10:15. If I leave earlier, I'll likely hit 287 traffic.

Hourly forecast looks ok for 10 to 4. Bring your rain gear though!

I am coming from Secaucus so I will meet you guys somewhere at Bear Mountain. I am new to New Jersey and I still haven't installed a GPS mount on my V-Strom. I am gonna take the Palisides Parkway since that's the route I am most familiar with.

What time do you guys think you should be in Bear Mountian? 11am?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the spot and will see you all there at 11:15. If we have time I will take you into Warwick NY if you have never seen it before. Nice place to stop for coffee and not too far out of the way on the ride home.

Later

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I know the spot and will see you all there at 11:15. If we have time I will take you into Warwick NY if you have never seen it before. Nice place to stop for coffee and not too far out of the way on the ride home.

Later

Sounds good. As long as it won't be raining cats and dogs.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this thread and peeked in, thinking of Bear Mountain as in Big Bear, CA. (Bear Mountain is the name of one of the two main ski resorts they have up there.)

Then I noticed where in the world all of the the posters in this thread seem to live. :) Good luck with the ride fellas! I agree that mid week is usually safer for the fun roads. :thumbup:

Last edited:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sry cant make it fellas. enjoy and be careful! watch the leaves and kids with eggs and paintball guns since its halloween lol

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Im good to go for tomorrow :)
Im going to meet you guys at the 11:15 spot though as its only a 10 minute travel time difference for me between the two meetup points and Id like the extra hour in sleep.

Eric/Erci, I still have your phone number from last time and Ill call you if I get lost. From Google Maps Streetview it looks like the spot is right after crossing the bridge we got caught in traffic crossing over last time, correct? Am I to meet on the side of the road there or is there a parking lot or something I didnt notice?

If you still have the last message from me in your inbox my number is still the same and my phone actually works this time.

Kerri :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im good to go for tomorrow :)
Im going to meet you guys at the 11:15 spot though as its only a 10 minute travel time difference for me between the two meetup points and Id like the extra hour in sleep.

Eric/Erci, I still have your phone number from last time and Ill call you if I get lost. From Google Maps Streetview it looks like the spot is right after crossing the bridge we got caught in traffic crossing over last time, correct? Am I to meet on the side of the road there or is there a parking lot or something I didnt notice?

If you still have the last message from me in your inbox my number is still the same and my phone actually works this time.

Kerri :)

Yup, meeting right by Bear Mountain bridge, on the road. There is no parking lot there, but cars often park on the side of the road, to walk to the bridge for the view.

I have your number and mine has not changed. See ya there!

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Checking in...

Thanks everybody for showing up. It was a great ride.

That 106 route was pretty great!

Weather wasn't too bad. At least it wasn't raining cats and dogs.

I was almost T-Boned few miles away from my house. God damn North Bergen drivers. They are the worst.

Hopefully all of you got home safely.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Checking in...

Thanks everybody for showing up. It was a great ride.

That 106 route was pretty great!

Weather wasn't too bad. At least it wasn't raining cats and dogs.

I was almost T-Boned few miles away from my house. God damn North Bergen drivers. They are the worst.

Hopefully all of you got home safely.

I'm home safely .. and took a nice road back too :thumbup:

You guys were railing the corners like it was bone-dry and warm out there! Thanks for getting us out! Great to see everyone, as always! And thanks Tom for being the leader!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard it said that a bad day riding is better than a good day at work. I can't tell because I have NEVER had a bad day riding, especially with my friends from the forum.

Glad to hear that folks are getting home safely.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm home safely .. and took a nice road back too :thumbup:

You guys were railing the corners like it was bone-dry and warm out there! Thanks for getting us out! Great to see everyone, as always! And thanks Tom for being the leader!

I was surprised at myself too. I was not expecting to have much grip with the stock V-strom tires in the rain. Not to bad at all!

I have heard it said that a bad day riding is better than a good day at work. I can't tell because I have NEVER had a bad day riding, especially with my friends from the forum.

Thanks for leading the group and taking us to Warwick. I really enjoyed the backroads. And that 106 was just splendid.

After you took the exit off the Palisades, Kerri pretty much just nuked the throttle. She was gone in minutes. I stayed on the cautious side with metalicat.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I was surprised at myself too. I was not expecting to have much grip with the stock V-strom tires in the rain. Not to bad at all!

Thanks for leading the group and taking us to Warwick. I really enjoyed the backroads. And that 106 was just splendid.

After you took the exit off the Palisades, Kerri pretty much just nuked the throttle. She was gone in minutes. I stayed on the cautious side with metalicat.

Lol. She lived up to her reputation. VROOM!

Being new to the area I can show you some great roads that are 30 minutes away from you. I have been happy following, but I really enjoyed sharing my routes today. I will put together ideas for some new routes in the future.

106 is an AMAZING road in the dry.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Lol. She lived up to her reputation. VROOM!

Being new to the area I can show you some great roads that are 30 minutes away from you. I have been happy following, but I really enjoyed sharing my routes today. I will put together ideas for some new routes in the future.

106 is an AMAZING road in the dry.

Sounds good.

Whilst I didn't particularly enjoy the rain, the fog was actually pretty enjoyable. On 106 there were few corners where I got spooked by the oncoming cars. I can't wait to rip it up again sometime soon. hopefully before the ice and snow.

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey now, I didnt nuke the throttle quite right away. At first I tried to coax a little more speed out of you two. As I saw your headlights slowly disappearing into the distance I tried to wait a bit for you guys to catch up so I could at least wave goodbye, but alas theres only so slow I can go without driving myself crazy and a good song came on. At that point I couldnt fight it anymore... THEN I nuked the throttle lol.

Anyway today was a really fun day and Im very glad I got a chance to go. I really hope we can all squeeze another ride in again before the winter weather becomes unbearable (heated coat or liner, at least motorcycle one anyway as I have a battery powered one that does nothing on the bike, is on my growing list of things for the bike I really should have bought already). Maybe we can start planning the next one now? :D

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
I think our leisurely 75mph highway cruising was not bad given the conditions. Yeah the last leg of the tour after we left Erci was not very confidence inspiring at all (read: I hated the wet and leaves), BUT it would definitely been a fantastic road if conditions were good.

Poster, I have to disagree about the fog :spank: that sh!t was scary, especially when you see the headlights of a cage coming at you.

Anyway, most of the riding was pre-mist/rain so it was pretty good - and that bbq sandwich sealed the deal!

Thanks for organizing/leading/joining!