Any tips/mods for comfort?

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm riding a 2008 FZ6, bone stock. I've only had it for just under a year, and this past weekend I took it for my first long(ish) ride from the DC metro area to Virginia Beach. Any of you from around the area know that this drive on paper only takes about 3.5h, but because of traffic i was on the bike for nearly 6 hours, and the seat really really got to me. The seat seems to put pressure on...well, let's just say the wrong spot. After about 30 mins on the bike I start to get really sore and I just really could not enjoy the ride. I'm not resting on my cheeks like I should be, and I'm wondering...

1) Any tips for posture, foot position, arm position, etc. to put me in a better spot for longer rides?

2) Any seat mods or quick fixes (like a seat cover?) that might help??

3) Anyone else have a similar problem and what did you do?

4) Any other bike styles that might be better suited to me? I'm willing to sell the FZ6 and try something out, even a full out sport bike (maybe more weight on the wrists?), tourers (BMWs, maybe a Vstrom?), and even cruisers.

I'm a bit lanky at 6'3" and ~185 lbs so I'm wondering if maybe i'm too tall for the bike. Any suggestions out there, interwebs?!?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'5" and know where you're coming from! :D

The longest I've ridden fizzer since '07 was 90 miles, and that was my limit, because of knees rather than the "boys". On longer rides I often stretch out and sit on the pillion seat for a bit, but this ride was a camping trip and I couldn't slide back (the same would happen if you had a pillion rider, "well, shoot, she was there a moment ago!?!?" :eek:)
A Top Sellerie seat helped me a lot, and they do make footpegs that are 1" lower. But, because I wanted to do some longer tours, a new bike was my final solution (BMW R1200 GS, in my case). My back angle and the handlebars, on the Fizzer, are just fine for me, it was only the legroom that killed. I'm keeping Fizzer for commuting and the twisties, but don't know if you have the option for two bikes.
There's a lot of "long-distance-comfort" discussions on my BMW forum, and here's a few more ideas for you to consider, since its the seat that's bothering you:
- A Saddlemen "Trek" seat, which has a groove indented for your tailbone, similar to some newfangled bicycle seats. I ordered one of these but, because of a production lot error, it wouldn't fit to my bike, so I can't give you personal thoughts; a lot of folks really love them.
634782956986537574IMG_3641.jpg

- Seat "add-ons", like the AirHawk (a segmented air cushion that you sit on and then let the air out just until your pelvic bones touch the seat),
airhawk%20seat%20cushion.gif

a sheepskin cover (lots of folks swear by these),
z-x-large-pillion-type-3-deluxe-sheepskin-motorcycle-seat-cover-513-p[ekm]300x225[ekm].jpg

and those wooden bead seat covers (I guess these are really popular with taxi drivers).
k1200lt.jpg

- One guy actually posted a pic of his FZ-6 with a "Russell Day Long" seat, which looks like something off a 1948 John Deere tractor. It's an ugly seat on the BMW enduro, on an FZ-6 its absolutely criminal, but hey, if its comfortable...
py9y9e4u.jpg

All of the above will raise the seating position for you somewhat, but at 6'3" you'll probably welcome that.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I checked Saddlemen didn't really have anything for the fz6, they mostly carry the split seats for sportbikes.

They looked really promising to me, hopefully they become available if they aren't.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I checked Saddlemen didn't really have anything for the fz6, they mostly carry the split seats for sportbikes.

I was about to protest your post, but then realized Top Saddlery/Top Sellerie and "Saddleman's" are two different companies.
I "custom-designed" my Top Sellerie seat over the intranetz, built in France, and it was kinda cool to see it was shipped through Le Mans on the way here. :D

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hope that helps. :thumbup:

You're darn right! Many thanks to you and everybody in this thread. I did some digging around and I see there has already been some healthy discussion on the Airhawk, and I think I'm going to give it a go. It sounds like it's adjustable as well as flexible, so it's probably worth a try. Definitely a less radical solution than trying to sell the bike and get a new one before the season winds down. Glad to see I'm not the only one with comfort issues (far from it!).

I'm still rather curious about Bimmers and Vstroms though...I might need to think about your "multiple bike" suggestion :D :rockon: :sinister:

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
You're darn right! Many thanks to you and everybody in this thread. I did some digging around and I see there has already been some healthy discussion on the Airhawk, and I think I'm going to give it a go. It sounds like it's adjustable as well as flexible, so it's probably worth a try. Definitely a less radical solution than trying to sell the bike and get a new one before the season winds down. Glad to see I'm not the only one with comfort issues (far from it!).

I'm still rather curious about Bimmers and Vstroms though...I might need to think about your "multiple bike" suggestion :D :rockon: :sinister:

If you don't like the Air Hawk you send it back before the 30 days.....if you like it then you can move it from bike to bike and not have to buy custom seats for each one. It doesn't perform as well as a custom seat if you are riding aggressively but for me it's perfect....raises me up enough that I don't need to lower my footpegs and comfy as hell for the whole day.....as a matter of fact my 500k route planned for today is a testament to how comfy it is.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Spencers can modify your seat very reasonably.

I had mine done, looks bone stock, much better.

They can also trim it so your particular issue doesn't happen anymore. Super quick turn around (1 day), it'll take longer to ship than to modify:

Page 1

Last edited:

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Russel day long (sport version). Many say it is ugly, but honestly i think it fits well with the sport touring style. Function over form for me, but i think this does both well.

Took it on a 4 day 2000 mile trip and i couldn't be happier. My butt could honestly ride forever and not hurt. Other parts of me got tired first (shoulders). And, when i am sitting on it you can't even see it. The build quality is top notch. I am a huge fan.

eme3abu5.jpg

y2aje7yq.jpg

I have a virtually new Top Saddlery seat that i don't use anymore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ is loads more comfy than ANY sport bike... I can ride her 600miles+
But after 40 min on my r1 I want to cry... My boys hate me and my wrists and hands feel like tuning forks!
So no, don't sell the FZ for a sport bike.