Any ideas for lower shift pedal?

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have the shift pedal adjusted as far down as it can go before it hits the inside of the rearset when shifting down. However, it still would be more comfortable if it was like an inch lower. I was inspecting the shift pedal and was thinking something that could go over the bottom of the rubber shift nub? Or even replacing it with one that was thicker on the bottom so the top of my foot would hit it at a lower angle? If i could get it like one more inch lower it would be perfect.

Any ideas would be great!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No idea how to get it lower than lowest allowable setting, without getting new rearsets, but I gotta ask.. how the heck do you need it to be THAT low?? How are you going to get your foot under it for up-shifting?
Take a pic of your normal riding position from the side, if you can.. with foot over and under the pedal. I gotta see this!

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
No idea how to get it lower than lowest allowable setting, without getting new rearsets, but I gotta ask.. how the heck do you need it to be THAT low?? How are you going to get your foot under it for up-shifting?
Take a pic of your normal riding position from the side, if you can.. with foot over and under the pedal. I gotta see this!

You know, after some experimentation, it might have to do with the yamaha comfort seat I have. The "natural" seating position on that seat is a bit far forward which puts my 36" inseam legs at a pretty sharp angle. If I drive my butt back It's fine, but due to the angle of the comfort seat I slide back close to the tank.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
maybe try this...put it back to the stock position and ride with the center of your left foot resting on the peg and your toes resting under the shift lever. It works great for me, did it with the FZ6 and the R6. It may help you find that comfort zone.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The "natural" seating position on that seat is a bit far forward which puts my 36" inseam legs at a pretty sharp angle.

Whoa! Maybe you should look into reshaping your seat and adding a good inch of height to it? :don'tknow:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there another (Yamaha, probably) bike that has the same splines on the shift lever but a lower shift nub? Might want to ask at a stealership, or at a shop. Aftermarket adjustable rear sets might make more sense. I think most are geared towards going up, but there may be some that lower. There's also the Buell peg mod that will lower the stock pegs, but it sounds like the shifter is hitting the plate. Lowering the pegs sounds like it would make things worse for you. Is there a peg that has compatible mounts, but is higher?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cut it and weld it! :thumbup: You could put it any angle you want. Note; the zinc plating will be burned off if welded on.

I might take someone 15min to move it for you if its that bad. I'd do it with fleebay lever in hand tho.

Stock seat, 32" inseam and I moved both the levers down as they were near flat or level with the peg. I found you could go too far on the shifter and had to move it back up. It was just almost touching the rear set in that little triangle area.
OR -> - grind a little out of the rear set for more travel???

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
There is some adjustment in the linkage between the lever and the shift shaft. If you need more than that, could you take the lever off and move it a spline?

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 36" inside leg and stand a heady 6'6" tall in my riding kit,i found the fz a great fit with loads of room,but i always had to ride with my toes on the pegs and sweep my feet forward to work the pedals and at high speed wind used to pull my legs away from the tank and they flapped uncontrolled,i swopped the stock footrest's for gilles rearsets and all the above problems disapeared,usually with longer legs the pedals need rising as knee and foot angles denote where your feet fall,and another mith is knee down with longer legs is easier,not true cos your knee is further from your feet and further from the road,bikes and riding kit are not made for us tall guys
nick

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
How to take off the shift lever?

Sorry to hijack the topic, but i didn't think that my question merited a topic.

I tried to lube the shift lever today. Shifting is a bit hard so the first thing in my mind was to grease the metal bushing inside the shift lever.

I tried unscrewing it but the allen screw is so hard to unscrew that I am afraid that I am going to strip it or damage the rearset etc.

Any ideas?

It slowly unscrews but I really have to force it. Is this common?

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick update on what I did:

I picked up a stock seat from a fellow forum member and that has allowed me to sit back further which makes the shift pedal position just fine. I still have it lowered as far as it goes but it seems okay to shift now.

Now i'm hunting for FZ1 bars. :thumbup:

ba4x

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 36" inside leg and stand a heady 6'6" tall in my riding kit,i found the fz a great fit with loads of room,but i always had to ride with my toes on the pegs and sweep my feet forward to work the pedals and at high speed wind used to pull my legs away from the tank and they flapped uncontrolled,i swopped the stock footrest's for gilles rearsets and all the above problems disapeared,usually with longer legs the pedals need rising as knee and foot angles denote where your feet fall,and another mith is knee down with longer legs is easier,not true cos your knee is further from your feet and further from the road,bikes and riding kit are not made for us tall guys
nick

Thanks for the tip! I'm just as tall and have been wondering about new rearsets.

You said you used to ride with your toes on the foot pegs and then bring your feet forward to work the pedals- What do you do now? Do you ride differently with the new rearsets? I thought that was standard procedure.