Any home fabricators tried this Dan Moto exhaust for an R1 on FZ6??

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Im in the market for exhaust but i dont want to spend all that dough. I saw the single 600rr exhaust and that looks awesome but you have to remove almost all the tray under the seat and i didnt want to do that. Im just looking for sound and not really power.

The de baffle route also looks promising but the youtube vids dont do the sound justice.

I did however find a PRC exhaust mod using the stock exhaust that i really liked the way it sounded but it doesnt seem like anyone in the states does this mod, and i cant read hungarian so i am not sure what exactly is done with the mod. If anyone knows something about this please share because i like the stock look :BLAA:

Here is the PRC exhaust:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-gY4mzlHL4]PRC exhaust on FZ6 after 18.000 km. NO Problem! - YouTube[/ame]

Here is the Dan Moto dual can exhaust

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3JLWNsbX6s]Danmoto exhaust on Fz6 - YouTube[/ame]

I looked it up and the exhaust only cost about 160 plus shipping for both pipes. So i was thinking get this and take it down to a welder to slap them on.

Has anyone here tried this? Thanks for the input im in no hurry to do this but i figured it would be worth researching

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the danmoto exhaust looks silly,
and since its made for an R1, it'll screw your backpressure up for sure, usually decreasing torque. Sound isn't everything..

Blakester122

Reaction score
Visit site
Now this doesn't make since. There are several threads on used a R1 stock can with the baffling removed, but there so something wrong now with using an exhaust for the R1 that does have some baffling? Doesn't make since. I could have also sworn that the back pressure was being handled by the headers on these newer bikes and it shouldn't affect it enought to be noticeable. But I think I just read that somewhere in the forum.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the danmoto exhaust looks silly,
and since its made for an R1, it'll screw your backpressure up for sure, usually decreasing torque. Sound isn't everything..

Any performance exhaust will decrease back pressure and what bike it's made for has nothing to do with that, the cans for the most part stay the same from bike to bike, the main parts that are different are the pipe and connectors.

Jmnielsen

Reaction score
Visit site
I emailed DanMoto the other day to ask if they were going to make an exhaust for the FZ6, this is what they said.

Hello John,

i'm sorry but at the moment we don't plan on making exhausts for this bike.

With best regards
Danmoto US

Dang..

Blakester122

Reaction score
Visit site
I emailed DanMoto the other day to ask if they were going to make an exhaust for the FZ6, this is what they said.

Dang..

Sounds like it's mod time! I'm going to do some more thinking and research on the R1 exhaust and I might buy it for the FZ. I'll keep you guys posted.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 cents - the R1 is meant to run in the upper RPM band (for the most part >8K). Hence the reason the primary tubes are larger in diameter than the FZ. Well that and low end torque is not a primary consideration on the R6.
The FZ's stock Primary tube dia likely has no impact limiting restriction. It being smaller than the R6 does help exhaust scavenging (cylinder filling) due to the increased flow through the smaller dia header pipes. This helps the bottom and mid-range toque. IMO - both bikes use the muffler to create any back pressure.

Deep tone comes from volume - the crack we all hate comes from small exhaust tips with little internal volume. Most of the mufflers that sound good open like a trombone reducing flow as the gases expand in volume into the atmosphere thus giving the tone we like. Also take note that most db killers do knock the sound volume down a touch but as a trade off they increase the pitch and promptly get removed as they take away the tone most people bought them for.

The stock FZ muffler is quite and does not propel that "high pitch crack" because the internal baffling evened out (compressed if you will) all the cylinders firing pulses converting them into more of a steady stream before exiting. Inside the muffler those shockwaves are bounced back onto each other several times canceling out the high frequencies and effectively steading the flow rate though those small exhaust tips. Think of pouring liquids into a funnel. You can stop and go but the output through the small end is more constant regardless of the input volume.

These are just my observations. . .

Blakester122

Reaction score
Visit site
That being said do you think this is a good or bad mod for the FZ6? Do you think opening it up like this will effect it negatively in the long run just for some sound and little have to no performance boost? But probably leaning more to the no on performance. I don't want to end up with dead cylinders or burnt valves because of it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That being said do you think this is a good or bad mod for the FZ6? Do you think opening it up like this will effect it negatively in the long run just for some sound and little have to no performance boost? But probably leaning more to the no on performance. I don't want to end up with dead cylinders or burnt valves because of it.

I personally wouldn't bother grabbing R6 headers as it will likely hurt it more than it helps it. But that truly depends on how you use it. If its a track bike only OK - consider bigger primaries (R6). If its your commuter = no way, as bigger is not always better. IMO a likely outcome is that you loose torque in the midrange.

So far changing the exhaust alone hasn't pushed anyone over 100hp that I've seen. Who even gained 4hp without loosing tq by adding slipons alone? Having said that, disconnecting the power from the ECM (later model O2 equipped bikes) so it can relearn will likely retain the same tune it had before the change. I think Chev bumped the curve on his bike manually but maybe he has a PC???

Blakester122

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. I would be more interested in putting some 06 FZ6 headers on it to remove the cats from them. I would also like to remove the cat in the mid pipe. Then it sounds like I can slap just about any muffler on it.

Just correct me if I'm wrong. I am still learning about exhausts.

Thanks for the input and helping me understand it better!

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 cents - the R1 is meant to run in the upper RPM band (for the most part >8K). Hence the reason the primary tubes are larger in diameter than the FZ. Well that and low end torque is not a primary consideration on the R6.
The FZ's stock Primary tube dia likely has no impact limiting restriction. It being smaller than the R6 does help exhaust scavenging (cylinder filling) due to the increased flow through the smaller dia header pipes. This helps the bottom and mid-range toque. IMO - both bikes use the muffler to create any back pressure.

Deep tone comes from volume - the crack we all hate comes from small exhaust tips with little internal volume. Most of the mufflers that sound good open like a trombone reducing flow as the gases expand in volume into the atmosphere thus giving the tone we like. Also take note that most db killers do knock the sound volume down a touch but as a trade off they increase the pitch and promptly get removed as they take away the tone most people bought them for.

The stock FZ muffler is quite and does not propel that "high pitch crack" because the internal baffling evened out (compressed if you will) all the cylinders firing pulses converting them into more of a steady stream before exiting. Inside the muffler those shockwaves are bounced back onto each other several times canceling out the high frequencies and effectively steading the flow rate though those small exhaust tips. Think of pouring liquids into a funnel. You can stop and go but the output through the small end is more constant regardless of the input volume.

These are just my observations. . .

This is what I like, scientific facts, the only way to properly justify decisions when it comes to vehicle performance/operation :thumbup:, would need to check a couple of things to be 100% sure but what you've said sounds pretty accurate to me :rockon:

Yamahaboyz

Blakester122

Reaction score
Visit site
It's the only way to do so. Well unless your just rigging it and it's a POS and you don't give a crap about it. Basically it should be in a demolition derby.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Final- I actually Adjusted the co bank adding fuel since I'm too lazy and broke, mainly broke lol to buy a pc3 and have it properly tuned...it will happen eventually but as far as priorities go that's on down the list and since its running great I'm not terribly worried at the moment

But adding to what you said...

Once you step away from the stock exhaust it's all a game of sacrifices, the more "open" and free flowing the exhaust the more tq the engine looses BUT as long as the fuel is there to keep the engine from starving a true "wide open" exhaust can make big gains on the top end, but that isn't exactly good for a street bike. Good for the track where rpms rarely drop below 9k, but who honestly never rides there bike like that on the street. Also a true straight pipe setup can dramatically reduced the life of the top end of the motor if it isn't tuned right.