ANOTHER headlight mod!!!

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that the mornings are getting lighter and the nights are drawing out, it's made me realise just how bl00dy dark some parts of my daily commute were back in the depths of winter. At the time I decided to do BD-43's headlight mod which improved my vision significantly but as we all know, even after the mod, the standard lights aren't great and full beam is complete pap!...

So I've been reading every headlight related thread on the site and have come up with another mod that is essentially a combination of others, those mainly being BD-43's and cashcrrzy's. I'd love to go down the HID projector route but it's a little expensive and I don't fancy all the work involved, so...

How about an HID (bulb only) conversion using two H4's wired up for dual low and dual high beam with low beam staying on with high giving mega lumens!? I know some of you don't like the idae of HID bulbs in the standard reflectors because the light gets so scattered but I'm sure with some adjustment and possibly a headlight "eyebrow" mod it can be reigned in...

OK so initial issues...

1. An H4 won't fit in an H7 hole without modding the bulb like cashcrrzy did here Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - cashcrzzy's Album: True Head Lamp Modification.

2. How many amps is that lot gonna draw throught the standard wiring loom with all 4 filements illuminated?

3. BD-43's mod switches off the H4 low beam when hi beam is selected.

1+2 were my main concerns but having just had an interesting chat with a guy at midnightstyling he came up with a solution. Apparently the HID bulbs in their kits all use the same base, then a bulb specific, i.e- H4 or H7 adapter is clipped on the bottom. As I write this, he is checking to see if, and he believes it will, an H7 adapter will fit an H4 bulb! If so, problem sorted, an H4 with an H7 fitting!...

As for power/current draw, all their kits use a relay harness wired directly to the battery so all the standard wiring loom on the bike has to do is close the relay, we're talking milliwatts here!...

As for point 3 well I think Kazza had the right idea. Instead of the usual mod she just bridged the low beam contact between the two headlights meaning low beam stays on even when high is selected. The same principal can be used for the high beam, bridging the two together so both headlights go high. This of course will all be done to the standard loom, before it connects to the ballast as the loom will only be supplying a signal telling the ballast which filament to illuminate and the power will be coming directly from the battery!...

well I'm excited and can't wait to hear back from midnight styling. If the gen on the bulbs is good then I'm gonna go for it. The kit should cost approx £80 with 6000k bulbs (which are rated at nearly 3000 lumens, twice that of my Philips Xtreme visions) and slimline ballasts. Here's hoping!!!:D

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds very good my friend! i have been wanting to do a headlight mod for ages but didnt know which one to go with, i love thr thought of 2 low beam and 2 high beam, that is what i would want, so please let us know what happens, as i will be very interested to do this if all is ok :thumbup:

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the bridge two low beam bulbs..... About 6 months it burned out. Replaced it did not reconnect the wire and 1 year still there. I think it was because of all the extra heat but all i know is it burned out while my high beams where on.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the bridge two low beam bulbs..... About 6 months it burned out. Replaced it did not reconnect the wire and 1 year still there. I think it was because of all the extra heat but all i know is it burned out while my high beams where on.

That's why I like the relay harness idea. The bridged wires will only be carrying enough power to close the relay for the ballast so should never burn out! In theory anyway!

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had a thought (and yes, before you ask, it did hurt!)...

HID Bi-Xenons don't use multiple filaments do they! They use a movable shield to switch from low to high beam. So, with BD43's mod, the shield would move when hi beam is selected but the power to the bulb (switched by the low beam wire) would be cut off!!!

There's no option but to bridge the low beam connections but like I say they won't be carrying any more than a switching voltage anyway. Glad I though of that now before I got stuck into the job!...

MaxRyan

Reaction score
Visit site
I did bixenon fx35 projectors and do not have any issues with low beam turning off when hi beam is on. Is this something they introduced later than 2006? I just wired my relays directly to the low beam connector and the high beam solenoids directly to the high beam connector. If your bikes low beam turns off when high is on i believe you can fix it by using diodes to your relay from your low beam + and high beam + So when the high beam is triggered the relay remains energized. The diodes are there to prevent back feeding of voltage.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The problem with lighting both the hi and low beam elements simultaneously has to do with dissipating the heat the filaments generate. The bulb body and glass envelope are designed to dissipate the 55 watts from one or the other for the full life of the bulb. Some thousands of operating hours.

When you light the second element in the same envelope, you are effectively doubling the heat generated... 55 watts + 55 Watts..... 110 watts to be radiated away, or conducted through the metal base to the surrounding fixture.

When you 'light off' both the left and right headlamps with dual elements, you are now consuming enough current to support 220 Watts of heat generated (along with a bunch more photons). 220W/12V= 18.3 amperes. Check your fuses to see if they support that draw. If not, the not so smart way to get around that is to stick in a bigger fuse.

I suspect the main reason the HID systems use relays to support the ballasts, is because the HIDS draw significantly higher current than the halogens on start up. Don't know if it his 18 plus amperes..... but relays are the way to go.

You'll also run into the same issues that drive everyone to the HIDs..... the alternator on this bike limits how much you can add to the load, to around 80 watts beyond the BD43 mod. With both hi elements on with both low elements lit, you will discharge your battery and be left stranded at the road side at some point in the future.

MaxRyan

Reaction score
Visit site
I suspect the main reason the HID systems use relays to support the ballasts, is because the HIDS draw significantly higher current than the halogens on start up. Don't know if it his 18 plus amperes..... but relays are the way to go.

You'll also run into the same issues that drive everyone to the HIDs..... the alternator on this bike limits how much you can add to the load, to around 80 watts beyond the BD43 mod. With both hi elements on with both low elements lit, you will discharge your battery and be left stranded at the road side at some point in the future.

I agree, relays are definitely the way to go, It depends which ballasts you use some use a lot less on start up. The oem matsu****a ones i used only draw about 8-10 amps at startup and then go down to 3, some are as high as 20 amps each for the first 10-15 seconds. These numbers are at 14 volts.

Even though your wiring may handle the inrush at startup for the price of a harness you are much better off.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL matsu****a.

Im watching all this with great interest. Ive ordered a BD43 harness for now.

This will probably be good enough for me..but if a definitive duel/duel setup with projectors becomes availabe ill jump on

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I did bixenon fx35 projectors and do not have any issues with low beam turning off when hi beam is on. Is this something they introduced later than 2006? I just wired my relays directly to the low beam connector and the high beam solenoids directly to the high beam connector. If your bikes low beam turns off when high is on i believe you can fix it by using diodes to your relay from your low beam + and high beam + So when the high beam is triggered the relay remains energized. The diodes are there to prevent back feeding of voltage.

If you tapped the low beam circuit to light the projectors, and then tapped the high beam to operate the shutter(s) to alter the projector(s) pattern, you'd never see an issue. The H4 does not have the low beam element wired in OEM. There is not conflict in the OEM configuration.

When people jumper across from the H7 to light off the H4 lo element, the H4 Lo does not turn off when the Hi beam is lit. This is why the H4 socket can melt if you run on high beam continuously after that mod.

BD43's solution takes advantage of OEM wiring that provides that control. With the BD43, the lo turns off when the hi lights. There is no additional thermal load, done in this manner.

MaxRyan

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh i see so just the low on the highbeam side goes off ? Well that makes sense. I am an HID nut though so a retro was the first mod i did.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Umm...I'm running dual LOW / dual HIGH HID projectors. Wiring diagrams are on my website.

you know what? ..all the times ive seen your link ive never clicked on it ...You have some great info on there. Its bookmarked now :thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
you know what? ..all the times ive seen your link ive never clicked on it ...You have some great info on there. Its bookmarked now :thumbup:

You never clicked on my link!?!?! I believe that's grounds for banning from the forum! I'll check with Dennis, but I think you're on thin ice here man!!! :eek:

;) :thumbup:

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
OK so midnight styling got back to me and unfortunately their latest supply of bulbs can't be modded in the way we were hoping, gutted! Never mind, they'll still provide an H4-3 (Bi-xenon)/H7 kit for around the £100 mark with slimline ballasts. My only option would be to mod another H4 on the way cashcrrzy did...

Going back to peoples comments about power drain whilst running the H4 on full beam, it's irrelevant with an H4 bi-xenon because it constantly runs at the same power, only the shutter moving changes from low to high beam. So according to the spec, that's 35W constant draw, less that the OEM halogen bulbs!

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
OK so midnight styling got back to me and unfortunately their latest supply of bulbs can't be modded in the way we were hoping, gutted! Never mind, they'll still provide an H4-3 (Bi-xenon)/H7 kit for around the £100 mark with slimline ballasts. My only option would be to mod another H4 in the way cashcrrzy did...

Going back to peoples comments about power drain whilst running the H4 on full beam, it's irrelevant with an H4 bi-xenon because it constantly runs at the same power, only the shutter moving changes from low to high beam. So according to the spec, that's 35W constant draw, less that the OEM halogen bulbs!

EDIT: Aww Boneman now you got me thinkin bout projectors! They're onlt £30 more than the bulb kit, decisions decisions!

Last edited:

FZ6blues

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys I found this website and they say they will send a h4 and an h7 ballast with one kit.

2004-2009 Yamaha FZ6 Projector HID CCFL Halo Eyes Combo- Duel Projector Lights  :: YAMAHA :: HID Kits :: Xtreme Discount Cycle

This is what I wrote them
"I was wondering if your kit for the FZ6 projector, and angel eye kit comes with an h4, and an h7 ballast? I was reading that one of each is needed for my bike. "

And this was the response.
"the correct bulbs/ballast would be sent to fit your FZ6. You need not to worry about that"

Hope this helps anyone that wants to do this mod, and has the cash for the kit.

FZ6blues

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that's the only problem. I have a blue FZ so it will probabaly look good with mine. If I don't like it I will just buy some different color bulbs.

hangerbum

Reaction score
Visit site
It appears they only sell then in 8000k...thats a little too blue for my liking

couldnt you just relamp them with a pair of 6000k lamps. I have been reading a lot about the duel headlight mod on this site and I have learned a great deal about the different ways to perform this mod. Thanks so much to all those who took the time to write up their mods. But I really like this idea, think its time to start saving up my lunch money.