Another example of why passing on a double yellow line is a REALLY bad idea!!

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It happens at around the 2:00 mark. All I can say is I hope this guy learns something from this vid when he watches it. MANY mistakes.

ps..I think thats his shoe that goes flying across the road..damn

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoQCLW1jVDo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - motorcycle crash up close first on the scene part 2[/ame]

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, many wrongs there...The guy in the Lexus should have stopped! The guy who binned it, well, too many wrongs to list...sad. just sad...

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Motogiro are you okay!? You should have not crossed the double line...

As for who's fault this is, clearly the biker. However, I don't know what kind of bike he had, but if he had more powerful bike he could/should have gunned it. That's why it's actually DANGEROUS to ride on the 250 on highway and fast traffic. You NEED the extra power to get through trouble!

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this posted on a local forum and it is a Ducati that the guy is riding...which one? Not sure...

Not convinced that lack of power was his main issue...that takes a backseat to his lack of skill, brain cells, foresight....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No matter how wrong and avoidable the entire situation was, it still hurt to watch :(

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Motogiro are you okay!? You should have not crossed the double line...

As for who's fault this is, clearly the biker. However, I don't know what kind of bike he had, but if he had more powerful bike he could/should have gunned it. That's why it's actually DANGEROUS to ride on the 250 on highway and fast traffic. You NEED the extra power to get through trouble!

:confused::confused:Huh!!!!:confused::confused:

I agree, too many wrongs in that situation. It could have been the same situation in a passing zone and the scenario would have been the same.

He lost that round even before he threw a leg over that day.....:rolleyes:

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
Although the biker made a load of errors and probably wasn't too experienced due to the panic braking on the back and lack of proper clothes I reckon the car driver never looked in his mirror so still to this day doesn't know about the accident.

Louder exhaust maybe

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I don't think I would have attempted that pass with that bicyclist coming from the other side, but I'd have to say both the rider and the dude in the Lexus were at equal fault. Neither signaled that I could see. That's just me trying to be unbiased, though. That sure was a dick move by Lexus guy.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why you should never RIDE LIKE A n00b

Passing on the double yelllow is not the problem here. THat could have happened in a passing zone the exact same way. It's a pretty classic situation.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems if he didn't apply so much rear brake the guy would of been OK and could of rode the shoulder. Then again may of hit on coming traffic. Could not believe he was not wearing gloves.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have called this thread "Another example of why using the rear brake in an emergency situation is a REALLY bad idea!!"..

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had two cars in the last week start the drift into my lane,one at freeway speed, thankfully no one in my left hand lane and a guy in the city at 15 kms an hour. both indicated but didn't look- seems to becoming so common- "I put on my indicator why didnt you get out of my way?" both time I blasted the horn and got sheepish looks, a mouthed sorry and a wave. So I don't need to cross double lines to increase the odds.
I feel sorry for the guy but where was his gear?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
This video was shot on Live Oak Canyon Road in Orange County California, just east of the infamous Cook's Corner. Many people, both auto and motorcycle operators have lost their life on that piece of road over the last 50+ years.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:confused::confused:Huh!!!!:confused::confused:

I agree, too many wrongs in that situation. It could have been the same situation in a passing zone and the scenario would have been the same.

He lost that round even before he threw a leg over that day.....:rolleyes:

I was going to say the same thing, you always have to be aware of the vehicle that you are going to overtake who's directly behind another slower vehicle. The rider failed to anticipate the scenario, big mental mistake!

2nd the rider was totaly inexpereinced on what to do, meaning you either brake or swerve, but you don't do both. Another mental mistake.

3rd, the rider was not properly dressed to ride. No gloves, jeans, tennis shoes. Yes, another mental lapse.

I would like to add that when passing other vehicles on a two lane highway, you have to make sure that there are no entry/exit points up ahead on the side that you're passing. Meaning that maybe they are going slow for a reason because they are about to turn into a driveway or street, so they are focusing on their turn, and not the rider behind them.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
As frustrating as it is to see all the squids out there every warm sunny day, this video is reassuring in that it demonstrates the preparedness of so many riders like the one taking the video. Kudos to the guy who filmed it. His reaction was spot on for a first responder.
-Slow down and pull off the road. Hazards on.
-Flag down approaching motorists.
-Send the first vehicle headed in the right direction after the vehicle that fled.
-Assess the victim and immobilize in the event of neck or back injury.
-And of course have a phone to call for help.

I would like to think this is exactly how I would react, but I'm fortunate to have never been put to the test. Any new rider should watch this video as an example of what to do (the guy filming) and what not to do (the fallen rider). Pay special attention to his missing tennis shoes and his moaning in agony. That wasn't even that bad of a wreck. I took a lowside spill in some gravel in a corner years ago. It hurt like hell and it wasn't even as bad as this guy's wreck. If you watch this video and listen to his bawling and still get on a bike in anything less than ATGATT, you deserve everything that's coming to you.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The rider obviosly cannot think clearly at this point after he's crashed. I would have emphasized to the downed rider not to take his helmet off so quickly.

Helmets should only be removed by medical professionals, do not take off a helmet for anyone after they have crashed. You could be held liable if they ever were to suffer any paralysis.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting. If I were the rider behind the one that crashed, I would have definitely stopped, but I would not have thought to tell the guy in the truck the details of the vehicle that was involved that did not stop. My mind would immediately be on the guy who crashed and getting to him to see if he was ok, and calling 911 if necessary. As a novice rider, I pick up a lot of good information on this forum, and this forum is also the reason I traded in my jeans/steel toe boots for proper boots/riding pants. Glad I became part of the community here. Sorry for getting slightly off topic. Carry on.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Helmets should only be removed by medical professionals, do not take off a helmet for anyone after they have crashed. You could be held liable if they ever were to suffer any paralysis.

Assuming they are breathing, kiss of life not easy with a helmet on.