Another example of why passing on a double yellow line is a REALLY bad idea!!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Both overtook on double lines, but that is not the problem here. I was looking at the indicator on the car, and didn't see any flashing. This would still have happened in an overtaking zone. The indicator-less quick swerve across the road is just freaking stupid. The guy on the bike should not have crashed.....he lost his ability to think clearly and stomped on the brake:(.

I had about three of those in heavy traffic coming to work today. Most times I just gun it and shoot through the hole...lol. Gets their attention better than a horn. Sure they get p1$$ed off with you, but they are at fault and too stupid to realise it so who cares what they think:Flip:.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I try to make the most of these things and learn. Would I have passed on the DY, NO. Will I consider this every time I attempt to pass a line of vehicles in the future (in a car, or on the bike), Hell yes!

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
In respect to the riders gear, he pulled that hemet off pretty quick too. Couldn't have been that well fitting.....

There's a strong possibility that apart from overtaking on double lines, the driver MAY well have looked in his mirror, saw the bike behind him, checked the way ahead was clear and overtaken. They both left within a split second of each other and as someone else said, he may not have known anything has ever happened.

I often overtake multiple cars in the one go (not over double lines though). I'm always looking for the car that pulls out without checking behind and hope I'm never put in that situation.

kharrel

Reaction score
Visit site
You know when a car is tail gating like that the first thing in your mind is "he is about to pass" or at least he is aggressive and could. Vet riders would have been more careful with that simple sign.

And than that guy in the car is crazy. So there are four bikes behind you and two just passed on a DY. Most likely those fools run in groups and the next two are about to do the same thing.

You guys are right so many wrongs. This should be a training video for sure.

Kelly.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see the car as being anymore at fault than the bike (except of course for not stopping, assuming he realized what happened)... They both passed on the double yellow, it seems to me they both took on the risk that eventually bit one of them in the ass more than the other.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, everything has pretty much been covered already. I do think that----and I'm not saying that I would even ride like that!---a single or double tap of the rider's horn a moment before the overtake might have helped to alert the Lexus driver. But, still, not anticipating the motorist's possible motives in front of you, or thinking that, just because you "got the milli-second jump" or started the pass "first" isn't (obviously in this case) going to mean you're going to safely "beat" the motorist in front of you and preclude him/her from instantly also pulling out to the outside lane to pass. I mean, that kind of move is not much different from a rider "jumping the gun" on another rider in front. Just because it's a cage in front doesn't mean that one should preclude that the motorist in front doesn't have the same intention to pass, right? Anotherwards, if it was, say, I, riding immediately behind one of you guys, "The Dude," or "Vegasrider," in the same situation, I wouldn't try to "beat" you to the jump and get the outside lane to pass "first." No difference, who is in front, cage or bike. Not only is that dangerous thinking, it's discourteous driver/ridership (is that a term?). Similar maybe to a tactless, classless, desperate maneuver to beat somebody else to get a spot one person closer in a queue at the bank or somewhere so you can finish your transaction maybe 5.3 seconds faster?

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang that's hard to watch! I hate seeing riders go down, no matter what the situation, but I watch so that I can learn from their mistakes, and hopefully avoid making these mistakes myself. Honestly, it's crash videos like this one that pushed me over edge and getting riding pants. I already had everything else, and riding on expressways and freeways got me thinking, "what would happen if I fell at these speeds?". It would suck for sure, but why not do what I can to minimize damage? Even if all it does is prevent road rash, I'm still going the ATGATT route. Although my favorite method for anti-crashing, is riding well within my limits, and paying attention! When in doubt, stay your course! I'm still pretty bad at cornering, and ride accordingly. lol The gear, the way I see it, is for the unexpected, nothing you can do type of situation, like someone running a light, or slipping on an unseen hazard mid-corner, etc.

I think everybody was at fault with this one. I was in my car stuck behind a car full of idiots on a local mountain road, and the driver wouldn't pull over for anything. He was going a max of 20mph on the straights, much slower in the corners, and the PSL is 40mph. Behind him was me, 2 motorcycles, and about 15+ cars, all angry. I would flash, honk, swerve, nothing would make the douche pull it over. We came to a short straight, where I was going to pass. If I didn't make it, I was screwed for some time. I also noticed the sport bike riders where itching to go as well. Keep in mind, that I was not a rider yet, didn't even own a moto. Just the same, I wanted to make sure that we didn't launch at the same time and cause a nasty wreck(like in that video). So, I put on my signal, and threw up my hand to let the riders know I was gonna go for it. Before I made the pass, I checked to make sure they didn't already launch, and even as I was making my pass, I kept an eye on them just to be sure. Honestly, it was an iffy pass. But damned if I was going to wreck the riders! Just the same, they just followed me around the slowpoke, and shortly after I moved way over and waved them on. They waved thanks and shot off into the distance. I'm sure they appreciated the heads up, I know I would've! That's how things could've gone down in that vid, but a series of mistakes led to that easily avoidable disaster.

Honestly, if people would just pull over, most nasty situations could be avoided. Go ahead and drive as slow as you want, but don't hold up traffic like a di**. When I'm driving or riding on mountian roads, and someone comes flying up behind me, I just move and let 'em go. People act like traffic police, or act like it's going to kill them to just take 5 seconds to pull it over. Seriously, is it really that bad? Which would you rather have, a bunch of irritated motorists on your rear, or nobody behind you, so you can do as you please? Plus, to me it's just courtesy! These days traffic and road conditions are bad enough, why make it worse on each other?

Great thread BTW, lots of great comments. There 's much to be learned here!

Last edited:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Passing on the double yelllow is not the problem here.

You're right, but at the same time: they're both attempting to pass in an area of limited visibility, which is clearly marked. The motorcyclist is anxious to pass two cars in this area, and the lexus driver didn't see this guy doing the same as the previous riders, before attempting to pass as well.

Both appear to make poor judgement calls...unfortunately, at the same time.

So for me, it does get back to the "passing on a double-yellow" thread. Motorcyclists (many of us?) can and do make our own decisions on if/when to pass regardless of the warnings clearly painted on the road (or the law), and our judgement on when we can ignore these is always right....right up until it's wrong.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but it does remind me what it not working out would look like. We're motorcyclists, calculated risk is what we do for fun...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the obvious like lack of riding gear, poor mental and physical skills, don't forget about the other riders that were with him who sucessfully passed.

Those riders were just as responsible, obviously this guy who crashed was a newbie. They left him behind, typical newbie trying to keep up with the faster rider. When you are on group rides, at least the ones who are experienced must inform everyone how important it is to ride at your own pace. The last thing anyone can do is try to keep up with a faster rider. I doubt that there were any preride briefing from those bozos. And if anyone showed up with that type of riding attire on any of my rides, I would disassociate myself with him or group immediately.

This poor guy just didn't know any better, probably just learned how to ride from his stunter friends, developing all the bad habits that they have acquired over time including riding with no gear.

This video is a pefect example how important it is to conduct a very informative preride briefing discussing things such as: Are we going to pass on DY? Hand signals, pace, leader, sweeper, etc.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle guys not completely to blame, hell, guys on bikes cross the DY all the time ( not i) but the guy in the lexus was also crossing the DY which imo and i think most will agree, is more dangerous than a bike cuz of its poor acceleration/manuevrability, but in any case they were both wrong to cross the DY and im glad the guy w the helm cam came to his aid, ive seen lots of cars accidents that happen and its like im the only one who stops... wish people would be more considerate... whats more important, seeing that somones ok or making sure you get to the mall to see your friends on time? :p glad to see the guy stopped and helped out

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
This video is a pefect example how important it is to conduct a very informative preride briefing discussing things such as: Are we going to pass on DY? Hand signals, pace, leader, sweeper, etc.

So let's turn this thread into something positive, and I'll bring a personal experience into this for all to comment: I am putting together a ride among trusted friends around Lake Ontario this summer. 3 guys with varied bikes and riding experience.

What would you typically discuss up-front to maximize your fun and avoid a situation like this, where the last person in line is taking unwarranted risks to keep up?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that a 35mph speed limit?
Check out the skid marks going off the road at 1.11. ( or is it shadow from overhead lines) Why is that bloke in front weaving all over the road? does he think he's doing a warm up lap?

Nelly

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, if people would just pull over, most nasty situations could be avoided. Go ahead and drive as slow as you want, but don't hold up traffic like a di**. When I'm driving or riding on mountian roads, and someone comes flying up behind me, I just move and let 'em go. People act like traffic police, or act like it's going to kill them to just take 5 seconds to pull it over. Seriously, is it really that bad? Which would you rather have, a bunch of irritated motorists on your rear, or nobody behind you, so you can do as you please? Plus, to me it's just courtesy! These days traffic and road conditions are bad enough, why make it worse on each other?

QUOTE]

Very well put. Rep on the way:thumbup: