Almost done with the bike, time for some picture whoring

F

FZSex

this is what my 07 blue would look like if I wasn't lazy, great job!!!!!!

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have those same grips and love them! Your bike is awesome! I especially ike how you mounten your gear indicator!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude. Get them ceramic coated black. It's what I'm planning to do to mine (it's a black 08) as well as powder coating the silver bits. You can see an example of it being done (on an ugly bike) here. It'll make them last forever too! :)

What did you do to your downpipes? Are they powder coated too or painted? I painted mine on my old bike but it chipped sooo easily.

makanouchi

Reaction score
Visit site
I painted the headers with high temp paint. Preped it with hours of sanding...still looks like day one after a few months. If I ceramic coat the muffler, I'll do the headers at the same time. My only concern is the packing in the muffler. I believe ceramic coating is baked at 400 degrees and I don't know if that will damage the muffler internals or not.

Dude. Get them ceramic coated black. It's what I'm planning to do to mine (it's a black 08) as well as powder coating the silver bits. You can see an example of it being done (on an ugly bike) here. It'll make them last forever too! :)

What did you do to your downpipes? Are they powder coated too or painted? I painted mine on my old bike but it chipped sooo easily.

aj_fz6

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice!!!!

Did you shorten the center stand as well or just the side stand? I'd love to lower my bike an inch but it seems like cutting down the stands would be a pain.

makanouchi

Reaction score
Visit site
I only shortened the side stand. I can still get the bike on the center stand with just a little more effort. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Nice!!!!

Did you shorten the center stand as well or just the side stand? I'd love to lower my bike an inch but it seems like cutting down the stands would be a pain.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
First off nice job on your upgrades and modifications. You've done somethings that I'm definetly interested in doing.

Second, would please you go into more detail on the process that was conducted in reference to the headers? I want to get my coated black and have heard good things about these guys JET-HOT Coatings Header Coatings Page and I'm curious as what you did compared to what the Jet-Hot guys do.

makanouchi

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to Pep Boys, bought 2 cans of their high temp header paint, the kind that is supposed to withstand over 1000 degrees. Removed the header from bike, sanded them down first with 200 grit to remove dirt, imperfections, etc. Proceed next with 400, 600, and finally 1000 grit for super smooth finish. Then 6 coats of the flat black high temp paint. Make sure you follow the directions on the can and stay 18 inch from the object being painted to get it nice and even. I waited 20 minutes btw each coat. It took about 4 coats before the header began to get evenly black. After final coat of paint, I let it sit for an hour then into the oven at 250 for 20 minutes, let cool, 350 for 20 minutes, let cool, and finally 450 for 20 minutes. The baking is necessary for the paint to have a good bond with the metal. Total cost: $30 for paint and sand paper. Hope this helps.

First off nice job on your upgrades and modifications. You've done somethings that I'm definetly interested in doing.

Second, would please you go into more detail on the process that was conducted in reference to the headers? I want to get my coated black and have heard good things about these guys JET-HOT Coatings Header Coatings Page and I'm curious as what you did compared to what the Jet-Hot guys do.