All you Metzeler Z8 users better be right!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i meant the $30 as more of a brand loyalty thing. i still think the PR3s are the best tires on the market right now for the way i ride. i would never take the FZt the track, its just not that kind of bike. also i would feel too compelled to push myself just a little too hard and i feel that a cheap track bike with fairings would be a smarter alternative. in which case it will get slicks not an ST tire.
I see, and lol @ brand loyalty. I'm rarely a brand hater (except apple, EFF apple :Flip: ) but I'll never be a brand loyal person. I'll buy from whoever has the best product (at the quality/feature level I'm looking for) for the best price!!

I don't ride fast enough to really push a modern tire to it's limits so I'll leave those comments to the experts. What I am good at though is riding a lot of miles. So at the end of the day, the price and mileage is what matters to me.

I love Michelin tires (of all kinds, bicycle, bike, car) but the PR3's wore out too quickly for my tastes. My set of PR3's were bald (centre zigzag line was gone) by 18k km, a disappointment when I had two sets of PR2's before them that lasted 22-23k km each. The replacement Z8's are at 17k km's and look like they've got another 4-5k km's in them. Grip as far as I can tell is very similar between the two.

Assuming there isn't a PR4 in the spring, I'll likely be getting another set of Z8's when these wear out.

PS, Z8's are cheaper around here than pretty much anything comparable. If I remember right, the Z8's were about $40-50 cheaper than PR3's when I bought them in the spring.
Interesting, I'll have to see what ends up coming up cheaper come time to switch. I wonder how far these battleaxes will take me.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First ride on Z8s, this morning:

So nice to once again have a bike which actually leans over as you countersteer, instead of fighting you! :thumbup:

I love that feeling whenever I go from used up tires to brand new ones. Really doesn't matter how good the new tires are.. it's the smooth rounded profile which makes all the difference.

Obviously can't really compare these to Pilot Road 2s yet, but I can tell you that nothing felt weird or sketchy on the first ride, so that's a good thing :D

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I put new Z8s on my bike and have a little under 2000 miles on them. Rode home in rain last week and they performed great. I did not try to push them in the curves but did do a few hard stops and they were rock solid. I don't have much to compare against other than the mostly worn PR2s I replaced but these appear to be really good tires.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First ride on Z8s, this morning:

So nice to once again have a bike which actually leans over as you countersteer, instead of fighting you! :thumbup:

I love that feeling whenever I go from used up tires to brand new ones. Really doesn't matter how good the new tires are.. it's the smooth rounded profile which makes all the difference.

Obviously can't really compare these to Pilot Road 2s yet, but I can tell you that nothing felt weird or sketchy on the first ride, so that's a good thing :D
I put new Z8s on my bike and have a little under 2000 miles on them. Rode home in rain last week and they performed great. I did not try to push them in the curves but did do a few hard stops and they were rock solid. I don't have much to compare against other than the mostly worn PR2s I replaced but these appear to be really good tires.
Can't wait for more insight into their performance as they wear and you both push them more

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have about 26,000 miles on my rear tire running PR2. Not a misprint, and I can't really believe it myself. I intend to do a write up once they go.

With that in mind, anybody know what the record is for most miles on any rear tire on a FZ6?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have about 26,000 miles on my rear tire running PR2. Not a misprint, and I can't really believe it myself. I intend to do a write up once they go.

With that in mind, anybody know what the record is for most miles on any rear tire on a FZ6?

Holy smokes!! Can you take a picture of the tire, please? I'd love to see how it looks (near the wear bars and up-close.. close enough to see dry rut, if any).

shannim

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got about 11,000+ miles on my rear PR3 and about 16,000+ on my front PR3. Neither one are at the wear bars yet, but the centers are definitely worn more than the shoulders since most of my riding is highway commutes. They also have two track days on them from earlier this summer and many miles of twisty mountain roads from my road trip earlier this spring.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
A bunch of my riding buddies on my local forum have been loving the Pirelli Angel GT's. One of the aforementioned buddies posted a thread with pics here showing how they performed in Blue (fastest) group at a trackday. :thumbup:

My FZ6 will be getting a set of them for Christmas. :rockon:

shannim

Reaction score
Visit site
What a coincidence. I did my track days at the NYST as well. I did it with Fishtail Riding School out of NH. They booked the track for the entire weekend. It was my first time doing a track day and would love to do it again in the future. On the second day they I got free one-on-one coaching because they had messed up my registration and thought Sunday was my first day. Can't complain about that.

Due to some sloppy body positioning, I scraped my peg feelers twice and apparently my center stand once (though I don't really see any evidence of it... I'm just going by the word of my instructor who was following me). I'm nowhere near touching down a knee, but at least now I have leathers (no knee pucks) that fit properly after trying some stuff at the Indy MotoGP.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A bunch of my riding buddies on my local forum have been loving the Pirelli Angel GT's. One of the aforementioned buddies posted a thread with pics here showing how they performed in Blue (fastest) group at a trackday. :thumbup:

My FZ6 will be getting a set of them for Christmas. :rockon:

ctbandit is your buddy? Few of us met him just a little while ago at NJMP AMA races. :thumbup:

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site

I've dragged kickstand on M5s :) Not a biggie. However I was not able to drag a knee. I'm wonder if it's not because my leathers are little too in crotch :innocent: