Metzeler Z8 after 2 years on Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've now done about 300 miles on these on the street and about 100 miles on the track.

To be honest, the only way I'd be able to properly compare Z8 to PR2 would be to ride the same bike, back to back, with brand new sets of both.

Z8 is predictable and confidence inspiring, but I felt the same way about PR2, when it was new.

On the track, Z8 held up great and gave me as much grip as I could use at my entry level riding. The main reason I went with Z8 is because it's supposedly a better track performer vs PR2. I doubt I'm good enough to tell the difference.

As it stands, I'm happy with my choice, but longevity will be the final deciding factor when it comes to choosing my next set.

There IS one condition where PR2 works better, in my opinion: Steel bridges. From my experience, whenever the front tire has deep grooves in the center, parallel to tire rotation, it seems to grab the steel edges, which translates into front wheel occasionally being tugged from side to side (quite noticeable at the handlebar). Z8 has these grooves, PR2 does not.

My fun routes have several of these bridges, so I get to test this often. Not a deal breaker by any means, just something to be aware of.