All finished in the rear ;)

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
I've finished up my work modding the rear. Initially I removed the fender eliminator, stock turn signals and license holder and replaced with an integrated clear LED brake light. I took the license plate light and license plate and remounted them up under the seat. While this was a pretty good look, the integrated light was not safe enough, I needed more visibility for my turn signals. So I bought some Rizoma Zero-11's, drilled thru the body and mounted them under the grab bars. I looked at several places to mount them, but this will keep the clean look and also provide some protection for the Rizoma's from the top. I've removed the front turn signals, I added some CustomLED's up with the deep blue running lights. Included is a pic of the front end as well. So far I have not gathered the attention of any of the local fuzz, lets hope it stays that way.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great! Very clean too, hard to tell the should be exhaust under the lights. Did you just pick up the full exhaust pipes from a FZ1?

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm, different. I think that's the first FZ I've seen with a side exhaust. Next job is to fabricate a new plastic bit where the twin mufflers once were. That bit looks a little odd now....

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
The pipe was on the bike when I bought it. It must have been a custom job. The 4-1 makes for a nice sounding loud bike. Loud pipes save lives.

737driver

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you buy that from road track and trail? I looked at that one this spring when I was shopping for my FZ.

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
As a matter of fact I did. Originally went in to see a CBR1000, rode out on this Fizzer. The best part about the whole deal was my insurance didnt change from the Suzuki GS500F I traded in. Overall I got a pretty good deal on the bike. Nearly a grand off what they were asking and gave me a very good trade in price for my GS. Love the speed of a sportbike with the "touring" label for the insurance. You really drive 73's? If so, who for? I drive the venerable CRJ200 for a living.

737driver

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I drive the 737 for citrus, used to drive the crj for air Willy. The guys a rt&t are good to deal with. I have bought a couple bikes from them and a buddy of mine got a smoking deal on his 2007 fz6 with 1800 miles on it for $3500 from them last fall.

MACH3

nudist
Reaction score
Visit site
No disrespect but in my opinion the rear looks messed up, the indicators are out of place, the reg plate looks like a for sale sign in a dark empty shop window.

The fz was designed to accomodate the twin underseat exhaust and looks terrible without them, it wouldnt be half as bad if there were a decent yoshimura single side exhaust but hey this is only my view!

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is not meant to look like the normal FZ6, hence the clean look in the rear. I much prefer the integrated tail light and rizoma's to what was on the bike when I bought it.

MACH3

nudist
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is not meant to look like the normal FZ6, hence the clean look in the rear. I much prefer the integrated tail light and rizoma's to what was on the bike when I bought it.

Not the norm "agreed" clean look "hmm" good luck with the project !

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
I disagree. I cannot tell you how many times while driving my truck I've heard bikes before I saw them in my side view mirror. Being seen on the road is safe. Being seen and heard is safer.

I agree also. I have been on bikes for fulltime comuting since 1982 in OC and LA counties in So Cal(HEAVY TRAFFIC) and know from my experience that a loud pipe will stop a lot of people from lane changes and pulling out from a side street just by rolling my by throttle. NOT AN OPINION: I HAVE LIVED IT:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree also. I have been on bikes for fulltime comuting since 1982 in OC and LA counties in So Cal(HEAVY TRAFFIC) and know from my experience that a loud pipe will stop a lot of people from lane changes and pulling out from a side street just by rolling my by throttle. NOT AN OPINION: I HAVE LIVED IT:

Well, living in CA you can thank Ahnold for signing in the law that requires all bikes made in 2013 forward subject to the original EPA noise regs when changing to aftermarket pipes. You can continue to run loud pipes but the po-po will be on the lookout for you. That's the price paid for the aftermarket industry's past ignoring of pleas to turn down the noise. :thumbup:

If you think noise is the solution put on a pair of Fiamm, or even air, horns. People react more to a LOUD horn than an exhaust. To get the attention of an errant driver tap or lay on the horn as required. No need to be annoying everybody all the time with an obnoxious exhaust.

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
No disrespect but in my opinion the rear looks messed up, the indicators are out of place, the reg plate looks like a for sale sign in a dark empty shop window.

The fz was designed to accomodate the twin underseat exhaust and looks terrible without them, it wouldnt be half as bad if there were a decent yoshimura single side exhaust but hey this is only my view!
I reckon that the way to go here is to put an R6 or similar end on the bike now that you've no bulky underseat exhaust! The hard work is done for you already with the exhaust routing. Then you have a rear that is DESIGNED to not have an exhaust built into it!

Then you'll have an even more unique bike that few people will be able to hate on. :rockon:

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
To get the attention of an errant driver tap or lay on the horn as required. No need to be annoying everybody all the time with an obnoxious exhaust.

Twice on my ride home from a meeting this morning I nearly got ran over by cagers. My loud exhaust saved me from a lady that was about to change into my lane. Her passenger had her window open, heard me and stopped the driver from changing lanes. My second run in came from a cager in a minivan that pulled out in front of me. I laid on the horn because I just knew he was going to pull out, it did not stop him. He still pulled into my path. Thankfully I was going slow and was able to brake and swerve to avoid a collision. The horn did not do squat to prevent the incident, it did however, get his attention after the fact. He received the one finger salute :Flip: and apologized at the next light. I apologized for the finger and chastised him to be more careful and look for motorcycles. Loud pipes saved my bacon this very morning. Horn.....not so much in this instance.

Sanger........Swapping the rear end is a good idea. I had not thought about it. Its not in the cards now, but may be in the future. My money tree has shaken itself dry for modding for the time being, but who knows what santa has in store.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I apologized for the finger and chastised him to be more careful and look for motorcycles.
That's always a problem. Luckily in the UK it's getting better. The government is trying to help a bit. I posted about this here after reading your post as I didn't want to clog up your thread. :D