All Balls Racing steering head bearings, noob question!

PWABO

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is my first post since the year turned so, Happy New Year to you all!!

At the end of December my FZ6 was due in for it's MOT, which it passed, but with an advisory concerning "notchy steering head bearings".

Not a problem! I have done extensive research into the work required & I feel competent enough to tackle such a task. Plus I don't have the spare cash at this time of year to pay for mech labour.

I purchased a set of bearings with seals from ebay & chose an "All Balls Racing" set (product code 22-1004) after reading decent reviews on them.

They have just arrived in the mail so I've been having a quick 'butchers' at them & they look the biz, however, one set of bearings is slightly smaller than the other, is that right?

Thanks in advance everyone.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
they will perfect fit to fz6, I used them and thats an optical illusion because of roller's angle.

Also, roller type has longer life than ball type oem bearings.

P.S:
use the kit's dust cover for lower triple and use the existing oem upper cover for new bearing set. Be easy when disassembling the bike and keep the upper cover fine for re-using.

take a look to here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/14722-how-replace-your-head-bearings.html
good luck.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus the bottom bearing is carrying the bike + rider(s) so it may have more surface area...

Have fun.... Ps a cut off disc will make a nice slice in the lower stem race. Use a chisel to split it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of the members mentioned that the o-ring or rubber seal from the all balls kit doesn't fit so don't throw the old one just in case. Hopefully they have corrected the mistake. Just use the search feature and type in the keywords if you want to read more about it. There is even a how to thread if I'm not mistaken.

FWIW....my OEM head bearings failed at the first 10k miles, and replaced with all balls. 90k miles later, still going strong.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW....my OEM head bearings failed at the first 10k miles, and replaced with all balls. 90k miles later, still going strong.

Similar experience, mine were shot (see pic below) at ~16k km. Replaced with All Balls and didn't even touch them until I sold the bike 100k km later

IMG_2593.jpg

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Ick. I'm convinced that Yamaha installs muck into the steering bearing during assembly.

Mine were the same too. All of my bikes except for one all have All Balls bearings; head tube, front and rear wheels.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to derail - but based upon the population, it seems like a very small percentage have lost the head bearings. :don'tknow:

Rust is not a bad bearing. Rust is a Product of contamination from Failed seals.

I would be nice to see how they were used and stored:
- DD ~ fair weather only
- DD ~ All weather
- Garage queen
- Garage queen that got pressure washed

A quick pressure wash to kill even the Garage queen! :eek:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to derail - but based upon the population, it seems like a very small percentage have lost the head bearings. :don'tknow:

Rust is not a bad bearing. Rust is a Product of contamination from Failed seals.

I would be nice to see how they were used and stored:
- DD ~ fair weather only
- DD ~ All weather
- Garage queen
- Garage queen that got pressure washed

A quick pressure wash to kill even the Garage queen! :eek:

I never pressure wash my bikes, but I've never shied from the rain.

I've always suspected it was due to a design flaw in the seals. I know I've seen some similar condition bearings posted before. Here's an example at 7000 miles, My steering head bearings are officially shot. - Sportbikes.net

There's no real other explanation of why so many other FZ6's have needed new steering bearings. Definitely wouldn't say it's everyone, but it's also not a small percentage.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's no real other explanation of why so many other FZ6's have needed new steering bearings. Definitely wouldn't say it's everyone, but it's also not a small percentage.

I agree, back in 2007-8, this was a very popular subject to a point I thought that Yamaha should have just done a recall on the bikes. The only reason why the subject doesn't come up anymore is because there aren't anymore new FZ6's introduced into the family.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never pressure wash my bikes, but I've never shied from the rain.

I've always suspected it was due to a design flaw in the seals. I know I've seen some similar condition bearings posted before. Here's an example at 7000 miles, My steering head bearings are officially shot. - Sportbikes.net

For being a "Vehicle" it SHOULD be able to handle it all SEASONS! Clearly many fail, but there are a lot of bikes out there. You'd think it'd be weekly item. Many are 6+ years old and have seen it all. and are OK....

Obviously it should have been designed better. Nearly any seal able to hold standing water will fail over time.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
For being a "Vehicle" it SHOULD be able to handle it all SEASONS! Clearly many fail, but there are a lot of bikes out there. You'd think it'd be weekly item. Many are 6+ years old and have seen it all. and are OK....

Obviously it should have been designed better. Nearly any seal able to hold standing water will fail over time.

The complaints slowed down with the S2's and I suspect most S1's that were going to have an issue, have already had them replaced many years ago. I bought my bike in '07, and that's pretty much what everyone was talking about back then and for a few years afterwards.

If you look through the old sportbikes.net FZ6 forum (that was the main forum before this one), you'll see many bearing related posts.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The complaints slowed down with the S2's and I suspect most S1's that were going to have an issue, have already had them replaced many years ago. I bought my bike in '07, and that's pretty much what everyone was talking about back then and for a few years afterwards.

If you look through the old sportbikes.net FZ6 forum (that was the main forum before this one), you'll see many bearing related posts.

^^ You may be correct!? There was one tiny change from S1 to S2 and its an air vent. When doing some work on the bike I noticed this vent plug on the ground. Its on the frame venting the air from the stem/bearing area. It's NOT visible to eye but internal to the frame behind the steering stem.

Its item 11 here AND i tossed in picture in for reference.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2008/FZ6 - FZS6XB/FRAME/parts.html

5VX-21279-10-00 YAMAHA PLUG, BLIND
11 5VX-21279-10-00 PLUG, BLIND

S1 Chassis
5VX-21279-00-00 YAMAHA PLUG, BLIND
9 5VX-21279-00-00 PLUG, BLIND $2.49 $1.75 1
10 5VX-21289-00-00 PLUG, BLIND $2.56 $1.75 1

POINT: Make sure the plug is there and pointed down as water COULD get into the open hole(s) if the plug(s) are missing.

It looks like:
attachment.php

From further away the very top one is barely visible: If you're ever in here, just confirm BOTH VENTING DEVICES ARE PRESENT! Also there is a PN change from S1 to S2.
attachment.php

Some Filler if others end up doing bearings....
Top Grease Cover: Specific to our FZ6 04 - 09 only place used.
5VX-23415-00-00 COVER, BALL RACE 1
5VX-23415-00-00 YAMAHA COVER, BALL RACE 1

PN for Top Bearing - USED A LOT of places! From 1992 - 2014
93399-99931-00 BEARING,SPECIAL
93399-99931-00 YAMAHA BEARING,SPECIAL

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2008/FZ6 - FZS6XB/FRONT FORK/parts.html
44, 93399-99932-00, BEARING
45, 3FV-23462-00-00, SEAL, STEERING

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the middle of replacing my Steering head bearings on my 2006 S1 model and at 25K miles the bearings were fine, no corrosion. I live on the east coast, have driven in rain several times. I spray the bike off the wash once a month and park it all summer in high humidity. I think some people are just unlucky with the head bearings.