Akrapovic Exhaust Install

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From Hellgate's thread starter:

Kind of porky, I weighed the stock muffler on a digital scale, I was so excited to install the Arko I forgot to weigh it! Oops...It is at least half of stock.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll weigh my Scorpion carbons when they arrive....should be an interesting comparison....I had no idea how much weight I'd be losing on the bike.
I'm so relieved now that I don't have to lose that extra 8 pounds I put on over Christmas... :D

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
That's def a smart looking exhaust :rockon:, suits the lines well. Any UK bods know if these are the same as the UK spec exhaust? Or any US guys want to send a gift with payment via paypal :eek:

Mizc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I intend to buy FZ6 Fazer along with the SLIP-ON SP SERIES Akrapovic muffler and I have two questions I will be very grateful if you answer:

The official Akrapovic site says that the muffler was designed for 04-05 FZ6 version. Does in fit for the '08 FZ6 Fazer? Is there anyone who can confirm it or deny?

Hellgate said that those DB killers could be easily pulled out. What about installing them back in place?? (stupid, I know :) but sometimes one could want to silence the sound e.g. before a long trip). Can it be easily done, or it is a one-way operation?

Thanks in advance,
T.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I intend to buy FZ6 Fazer along with the SLIP-ON SP SERIES Akrapovic muffler and I have two questions I will be very grateful if you answer:

The official Akrapovic site says that the muffler was designed for 04-05 FZ6 version. Does in fit for the '08 FZ6 Fazer? Is there anyone who can confirm it or deny?

Hellgate said that those DB killers could be easily pulled out. What about installing them back in place?? (stupid, I know :) but sometimes one could want to silence the sound e.g. before a long trip). Can it be easily done, or it is a one-way operation?

Thanks in advance,
T.

No dumb questions. Yes the system will fit any year FZ6, the DB Killers are held in with one 4mm bolt. Simply unscrew it, grab the DB Killer with pliers and pull out. That simple. 30 seconds tops.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad this got bumped, I hadn't seen it. Nice writeup, that is a sharp looking exhaust! I've heard good things about Akropovic but they dont get too much attention on this forum, I wasn't even aware Akro made a set for the FZ6 until recently, would've been worth a healthy consideration over 2 bros. Oh well, I'm certainly not dissappointed by what I got. Oh also, I was surprised at the weight of the stock exhaust as well, aftermarkets definitely trim some fat. I know the 2 bros cut about 8lbs from stock.

Make sure to let us know how your new PC-III works out, I am most interested. I may have found a deal for one on Craigslist, we'll see if that pans out. :Sport:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad this got bumped, I hadn't seen it. Nice writeup, that is a sharp looking exhaust! I've heard good things about Akropovic but they dont get too much attention on this forum, I wasn't even aware Akro made a set for the FZ6 until recently, would've been worth a healthy consideration over 2 bros. Oh well, I'm certainly not dissappointed by what I got. Oh also, I was surprised at the weight of the stock exhaust as well, aftermarkets definitely trim some fat. I know the 2 bros cut about 8lbs from stock.

Make sure to let us know how your new PC-III works out, I am most interested. I may have found a deal for one on Craigslist, we'll see if that pans out. :Sport:

I really, really like the Akro. It's a great exhaust, well made, good price, the sound is tuneable.

My plan for the PCIII is to put the stock exhaust on, dyno it, put the Akro with DB and w/o DB, dyno each, then with the PCIII DBs in and out.

When I built my '87 Targa I dyno'd each step and it really help us see what worked and what did not. My goal here is mid range, not top end. Torque almost always wins. My dream would to put in the J&E 637cc piston kit. Oh, it is fun to day dream!

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do post back with the PCIII updates. BTW have you been able to find a map for your Akro pipes?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do post back with the PCIII updates. BTW have you been able to find a map for your Akro pipes?

I will. I'm going to have it custom tuned by these guys > AF1 Racing - Aprilia Sales, Parts, Service, Racing, and Dyno Tuning - New Braunfels, TX - Call 877.626.3966

They are an Aprilla dealer and a race tuning shop with a nice dyno! :rockon:

Instead of using a stock map they will be able to dial it in using the dyno, O2 and other readings. If I get 5 hp on top I'll be happy. I really want torque in the middle. We'll see! Regardless it will be fun to do.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perfomance Dyno Tuning sounds like the way to go! Very cool to have custom settings on your bike.
Cheers

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice big bump, lol,
I was wondering about the hourglass lookalike thingy,
Í never read in the installation manual to ever insert it,
besides that it looked like some cut off piece they accidentally added lol.
where/how do you insert it, and do I really have to? :p I rode the bike for about 100km's and didn't notice anything wrong...

it doesn't even mention it in the online installation guide:
http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/...2009_/ya_fz6s2-fz6fazers2_so_2004-2009_ii.pdf

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I recall (it's been two and a half years) it came with the German TUV certificate. Not sure if that works in Singapore.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
If I recall (it's been two and a half years) it came with the German TUV certificate. Not sure if that works in Singapore.
any certificate that includes the serial number of the exhaust or something like that? i actually have a softcopy of a TUV test report if that's what you are referring to.

thanks for the reply!

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
nice big bump, lol,
I was wondering about the hourglass lookalike thingy,
Í never read in the installation manual to ever insert it,
besides that it looked like some cut off piece they accidentally added lol.
where/how do you insert it, and do I really have to? :p I rode the bike for about 100km's and didn't notice anything wrong...

it doesn't even mention it in the online installation guide:
http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/...2009_/ya_fz6s2-fz6fazers2_so_2004-2009_ii.pdf

I contacted Akrapovic about the hourglass. I'll post the mail I sended:

I have a question about the slip-on for the yamaha fz6. There is a part included that isn't mentioned in the installation instructions. It looks like 2 conical objects welded together. Can you tell me what it is used for, and if it is necessary to install it? It looks like it can be placed between the stock catalysator pipe and the akrapovic slip on. Thank you for your answer.

Dear Sir,

this is venturi cone. We added this part mostly because of reducing noise level without loosing power. You can use it optionally or if you have strict noise level limits.

Thank you for your question,

Best regards,
Akrapovič d.d.
R&D department

sfk

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the best price for the Akra exhaust right now on the "world" market?
I have a 2008 FZ6 S2 and I need the exhaust badly :) ... does anyone know?

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I put Akrapovic exhaust 3-4 weeks ago but, the noise was too much without db killers and it was nearly like stock with db killers in.
I couldn't find the middle optimum noise.
Then i saw this shortened db killers in an ebay auction:

4tmnq.jpg

This is the original one:

akrapovic-db_killer-vtuv003.jpg

May be i should cut them a bit, what do you say?

CroFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I put Akrapovic exhaust 3-4 weeks ago but, the noise was too much without db killers and it was nearly like stock with db killers in.
I couldn't find the middle optimum noise.
Then i saw this shortened db killers in an ebay auction:

May be i should cut them a bit, what do you say?

don't cut original db-killers, there will be almost no difference or no difference at all.

make new 28mm db-killers, original one is 22mm
here is video with comparison:
original 22mm -> with out db-killer -> new 28mm
maybe you like it :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTWYecRoW84]Akrapovic Slip-On on FZ-6 with dB-eater comparison - YouTube[/ame]