Air Temp reading unusually High

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I noticed this weekend.

I took the Fz out for a quick spin on Sunday and I just happened to switch to the air temperature display and was shocked that it was reather high. As I was cruising it was anywhere between 109 and 113 degrees F.

I know that its usually a little bit higher than the outside air temp, but this was much much more than normal. Especially since the daytime high was about 55 Degrees F. Closer to the evening when temps were dipping near 40 degrees the air temp reading cooled only to about 109.

The bike really didnt seem to run any different than normal. Started normally, did everything else normally. Coolant temp was also normal running about 160- 170ish deg during the ride.

I'll maybe presume that the high air intake temp reading may have altered the air/fuel ratio a little bit? I did manage about 51 mpg, which is a bit higher than the religious 44-46mpg that I get.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
That coolant temp looks just right (depending upon your riding style at the time), but that air intake temp seems high. I would just give a quick look under the tank to see if the sensor is still in the airbox. I've had that temp sensor pop out a few times while I was working under the tank.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Agreed, if out, the reading would be high! But, lots of low speed travel coupled with low RPM and/or idle time will cause this. In short, without opening the bike up, the air box gets heat soaked from the engines radiant heat (plus radiator too).

Lots of WOT throttle at speed replaces the AIR in the box with Fresh Air! :D :spank::spank: :D

Pop over to 600cc.org (FZ6R forum) and look at this from Marthy....
27188d1344973833-marthys-airbox-mod-dsc02338.jpg
Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum
View attachment 55477
->> Marthy's Airbox mod

Aerospace grade insulation just to prevent heat soak.

EDIT: looks like others need to log in.
27417d1346941420-marthys-airbox-mod-aibox-012.jpg
27416d1346941420-marthys-airbox-mod-aibox-011.jpg

Last edited:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I would just give a quick look under the tank to see if the sensor is still in the airbox. I've had that temp sensor pop out a few times while I was working under the tank.

Yepp,,, I just had everything apart for a valve shim a couple weeks ago.. I bet I might not have plugged the temp sensor back in or something goofy like that!

The bike is about tucked away, so it might be a while before I can go look at it.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
That coolant temp looks just right (depending upon your riding style at the time), but that air intake temp seems high. I would just give a quick look under the tank to see if the sensor is still in the airbox. I've had that temp sensor pop out a few times while I was working under the tank.

what does it look like the temp sensor to be in the box? can you get some photo? I changed my sparkplugs a few weeks ago and now the temp seems little bit high but the bike works just fine!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
what does it look like the temp sensor to be in the box? can you get some photo? I changed my sparkplugs a few weeks ago and now the temp seems little bit high but the bike works just fine!

I'm away at school otherwise I would get a picture. I believe the plug is green in color (I think it was green on my 2004 model). I believe it plugs into the left side of the airbox (left when sitting on the bike) from the back of the bike (opposite the battery). Hopefully someone with access to their bike can speak up. I can't remember off the top of my head.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Green plug. What you saw isnt uncommon if in traffic.

picture.php

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Green plug. What you saw isnt uncommon if in traffic.
[/IMG]

This word you use, Traffic.. I'm not sure what that is..Blah

Welcome to Northern WI!

I've seen temps that high on my air temp reading before. I believe the ambient temp was somewhere around 100 and I was in Durango, Co

But Sunday's weather was no where like that.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This word you use, Traffic.. I'm not sure what that is..Blah

Welcome to Northern WI!

I've seen temps that high on my air temp reading before. I believe the ambient temp was somewhere around 100 and I was in Durango, Co

But Sunday's weather was no where like that.

It can be 56°F and if your speeds are under 30mph heat rises. The box heats up and the sensor reports it. If you're barely cracking the throttle, the air in that box is pretty much stagnant. Its not until your past 50% throttle (7000 RPM up hill) that a large enough volume of air will move through the box to replace the HOT air thats absorbed via radiant heat from that 200F engine right below it.

--->> IMO -> This explains everything: "I just happened to switch to the air temperature display and was shocked that it was rather high."

Its not something we normally watch, therefor its input seems a little crazy. Go open the throttle up, go 75 MPH in 2nd gear and watch how long it takes to drop. :thumbup::thumbup:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
It can be 56°F and if your speeds are under 30mph heat rises. The box heats up and the sensor reports it. If you're barely cracking the throttle, the air in that box is pretty much stagnant. Its not until your past 50% throttle (7000 RPM up hill) that a large enough volume of air will move through the box to replace the HOT air thats absorbed via radiant heat from that 200F engine right below it.

--->> IMO -> This explains everything: "I just happened to switch to the air temperature display and was shocked that it was rather high."

Its not something we normally watch, therefor its input seems a little crazy. Go open the throttle up, go 75 MPH in 2nd gear and watch how long it takes to drop. :thumbup::thumbup:

I understand all of that.. But it was clearly out of the norm from the last 20,000 miles i put on it.

:Flip: