Air Filter

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
TLDR in bold.

Hiya folks, got a quick question for you all today. I'd tried in the past to get the airbox off back when I first got the bike, but didn't have much luck so I didn't pay it much attention. I'm just having a hard time with hopping up and buying things right now due to money being stretched thin. Gotta sell my old bike and get back the nearly $2000 that my parents owe to me before I'm going to be flexible again money wise.

On my list of things to replace on the bike is my spark plugs (as per the maintenance manual stating 13,000KM replacement - I don't know when they were replaced if at all previously) and my air filter. I haven't actually -seen- my air filter to determine if I should replace it or not, but a recent event has me thinking it'd be well worth my time and effort to take a peek.

I met up with somebody who's got the same bike as I do and we went on a ride. Everything looked great between the two, except his had an audible 'whooshing' intake sound when he revved his bike, whereas mine has none of that - even when I'm really cracking it open. Aside from the known and still in progress fix over my slightly irregular idle (which is infrequent and minor now, but I'm still working on it) there doesn't seem to be any problems with the bike. It pulls hard and has no trouble revving up at any point, and I'm curious if the sound of air being sucked in during revving is normal. I don't know whether or not he has a K&N air filter or anything like that - but I'm curious if your bikes have that sound too, since if others do and mine doesn't it's a huge sign I oughta change the filter ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

Also - How do I order an OEM filter if it comes to it? I'm on the Yamaha Parts Catalogue and have found it, but it seems like it merely gives me a list that I can print.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It is very easy to check your filter.

1. Remove the seat

2. Remove the two Allen head bolts that hold the front of the tank to the frame directly under the steering head. You can see them without removing anything.

3. Remove the long bolt that holds the back of the tank directly under the seat, this is a 10mm bolt. Slide the tank back enough to clear the fairing and lift the front of the tank above the fairings. Reinstall the rear long bolt to act as a pivot for the tank. Prop the tank up or tie the front up to the ceiling if you are inside a garage or shed. Do not stretch out the fuel lines!

4. The top of the air box is held on with I believe 6 Philips head screws. Remove those, careful not to drop a screw!

My original filter has 23,000 miles on it. I'm on the east coast and the filter still looks great. Has a slight stain in one area but it is very clean and I didn't see the need to replace it just yet.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Last time, I got all the screws out of the box but couldn't get the top off and was cautious about being too forceful due to space restrictions. I'll give it another whirl!

When you rev your bike up, is there a wooshing sound of air being sucked in? That's the main reason that I'm a little bit concerned now, since when my buddy revved his bike up I could audibly hear it sucking in air, whereas mine is quiet like a ghost.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I can hear my intake for a split second but I have aftermarket exhaust which drowns out all other sounds almost instantly. :thumbup:

Make sure you remove all 6 screws! As I recall 2 are kinda hidden and if the top of the air box is stuck chances are you missed a screw!

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't hear mine, so it's definitely time to take a peek. Thanks! Now... Time to figure out how this goofy Yamaha website works.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't hear mine, so it's definitely time to take a peek. Thanks! Now... Time to figure out how this goofy Yamaha website works.

I don't really hear mine either (with the open Scorps).

Even with all the screws removed from the air filter cover, the OEM filter fits VERY tight in both the top and bottom of the air box. The filter may have very well been causing you issues. Once all those screws are out (6 per the parts fisch link), simply work around the cover, it'll come off..

I changed my filter out at about 16,000 miles but it certainly didn't need it..

BTW, you change your plugs out from the right side of the bike without pulling the top of the bike(tank, AIR system, etc) apart.

Here's a link for parts, part #9; 2008 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6XB) Intake | Babbitts Online

Might be cheaper to buy in Canada, sometimes they raise the price a bit leaving the US. You can also see ALL the screws holding the cover on the box as well. IMO, I'd stick with the OEM filter if needed...

Last edited by a moderator: