air box/filter question

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 07 fz and the first thing i did was take the airbox off, and put pod filters on it. sittting still it feels like it revs faster, but moving it had a slight bog. last week i bought a pc3 and the only map i could find for my set up was scorpion slip on with stock or aftermarket a/f. my cat has also been cut out, so if anybody has done the same thing and had theirs dyno tuned and has a map that would greatly be appreciated. i am nowhere close to a dyno so thats not really an option at this point. ive made small adjustments, but its still not quit right, so thanks for any help.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you in Alabama? Just a thought, this weekend WERA is racing at little Tally - will be lots of folks there who know how to set up bikes, don't know how many with Yamaha's though. I have learned a lot talking to people in the pits.

I'll be there but will probably take a cage to haul the camera gear.

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
im in auburn, my dealer here told me to put the air box back on but being stuborn i just dont want to. i thought maybe putting the bottom back in and leaving the pods to try to block some of the air flow coming at them but im not real sure if that would work, help, or just defeat the purpose.if the box were turned around with the filter in the front i could make a ram air, but theres just not enuff room the way it was designed.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm for putting the airbox back on. A K&N doesn't has as much restriction as the stock filter so you may get a little more power. Have read lots of threads and it seems like there is not a simple easy way to pick up significant HP on the FZ6. Best mods are power commander and going to R6 cams. Cheap and easy way to get more acceleration is to change the gearing. Going down one in the front makes a difference as will going down 1 and up 2 in the back plus going to a 520 chain. You will wear out the chain and sprockets quicker.

Watch out the the Opelika traffic lights, was down there a week ago and saw them near Tiger Town, they are going to start sending the tickets soon. I have already had a discussion with my artistic daughter (AU student) about the cameras - she is a good driver but anyone can make a mistake.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a lot of research time and money in that airbox. Because of that specific shape, it's resonating with the intake pulses and causing positive pressure at higher rpm.

The concept is the same as this, just on the intake side. Changing from a muffler to a tuned pipe is known to double the horsepower on nitro r/c cars.

Tuned pipe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia