Ahhh, such a nice feeling!

jjjjime

Reaction score
Visit site
Spent a few hours (yes...hours) cleaning my chain and sprocket this morning. They were both literally black, time to adopt some better cleaning habits ;)

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking good!

I clean mine whenever I wash the bike regularly, but to get the black of the teeth, I think I'd need to put in hours
each time, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Whoa that looks clean!

I usually spend maybe 20 minutes giving my chain a quick scrub -- but wow.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoa that looks clean!

I usually spend maybe 20 minutes giving my chain a quick scrub -- but wow.

You can get pretty amazing results with a soft plastic brush and some kerosene. Rinse it with some water after that and lube it. It looks brand new!

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
You can get pretty amazing results with a soft plastic brush and some kerosene. Rinse it with some water after that and lube it. It looks brand new!

Good stuff, I think I'll spend some time on this this weekend (bike needs some serious cleaning). Do you guys get lube from MC shops or can it be had at an auto parts store as well? I never see any MC specific stuff there.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

I use the same method. Nothing cleans better than kerosene! I soak it for 10 minutes then re-wet it and scrub with a plastic brush, let it soak again, rinse it off with water...let it dry a bit, spray with WD-40 to drive out the rest of the water, then dry with a cotton rag....spray on your chain lube...like new! :thumbup:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! now don't forget to remove the front sprocket cover,(if you haven't already) you'll be amazed at what you find in there....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2nd place maybe? lol

Bike was used and looking pretty sad in the chain area when I grabbed it. Its better now!

View attachment 35985

I'm not big on soaking an O'ring chain. Once you dilute the grease locked in with the O'rings I don't feel the spray on junk ever really gets back inside.

Who has a high mile chain in good shape and how did you care for it? What did you use to make it last and Look Nice?

neilw

Reaction score
Visit site
This is dedicated cleaning for you ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREqf4wIukA]YouTube - ‪Clean your Motorcycle - Part 1‬‏[/ame]

WD40 (assuming this is a UK name only) is effectively kerosine as mentioned earlier, with a few other bits that he uses a lot.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are nuts! I keep my chain clean, but I can't get my sprocket to look like that! Perhaps I have too many hobbies.. which doesn't leave enough time for hours of scrubbing!

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
WD40 (assuming this is a UK name only) is effectively kerosine as mentioned earlier, with a few other bits that he uses a lot.

No Kerosene according to their website.

What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

Water Displacing and 40 secret herbs and spices.....No, wait, thats KFC!:BLAA:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What does WD-40 contain?

In that case, you could smoke it! No cancer causing agents!

Water Displacing and 40 secret herbs and spices.....No, wait, thats KFC!:BLAA:

LOL!

:thumbup: