Agonizing choice of touring windscreens: GIVI ??

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
NOT another windscreen thread! :eek:

I need a new windscreen for my 2006.
Having an 06 limits my options. :spank::spank:

This is what I got for notes:

Puig

harder to install
kinda cheap

Givi

louder but w. earplugs its ok

CalcSci
only for +07 :spank:

CeeBaily

Yamaha Touring
not that good :spank:

Laminar Lip

fugly

power bronze

MRA touring

---------------------------------------
1.0.1.varc_d136st.jpg

D136ST
Specific screen, transparent 61 x 53,5 cm (H x W)

12,5 cm higher than original

TwistedThrottle.com : Givi Windscreen (Yamaha FZ6, '04-'06) - Givi D136ST

I'm leaning towards the Givi touring screen.
Any experience with those? Please help me out with your reviews.
I'm interested in how well it keeps the wind off of you. After a while on the highway, my neck hurts from the strain. I use earplugs, so I hope the louder noise won't be an issue.
How about ease of installation?
Quality of parts?

:confused:

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 07 and I am gonna go with the Givi because it gives a liilte coverage on the grips. Only problem is they have been on backorder for 3 months now! They say July so we shall see. :confused: Cal-sci wont make one for you?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 07 and I am gonna go with the Givi because it gives a liilte coverage on the grips. Only problem is they have been on backorder for 3 months now! They say July so we shall see. :confused: Cal-sci wont make one for you?

Damn. I just bought a Givi screen. I should email the website I got it from and ask if it's back-ordered.

I went to Cal Sci site and couldn't find one for the 06 and earlier models.
Only for the 07+

I PM'd the one guy, arrobador, on this forum who has the Givi screen. He posted a review when he got it a year ago. He PM'd me back saying he liked it. He also said it was easy to install and seems to be made well. I'm assuming he's had some time to evaluate it.

So I just pulled the trigger on the Givi screen after that.

HOW do you know it gives coverage on the grips?

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site

I read some comments from the guys at Cal Sci. They tried and tried to make one for the '04-06 FZ6. With the design of the fairing they couldn't get it to work to their high standards. They would rather not make one at all then put out a product that they were not satified with/proud of. I can respect that level of integrity.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I read some comments from the guys at Cal Sci. They tried and tried to make one for the '04-06 FZ6. With the design of the fairing they couldn't get it to work to their high standards. They would rather not make one at all then put out a product that they were not satified with/proud of. I can respect that level of integrity.

sux to hear.

what's so bad about our fairings?

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It requires too many bends to make it fit properly. If you look at the cal-sci screens they are mostly flat.

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it is good to know that Ca-Sci is proud of their craftmanship!

Here is a pic of the Givi windscreen on the 07, you can see it covers the areas just below the mirrors which would help deflect some rock and bugs from hitting your knuckles.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If you don't mind the noise from the wind screen, go with whatever is bigger. All of them will be nearly equally noisy.

I tweaked a Puig double bubble design, looking for less wind noise, and didn't go far enough with it before I sold the bike. By the time I sold it, I had sawed off the 'ears' on the bubble to reduce the area, and drilled 2 1" holes through the screen for vents. It needed a MUCH larger vent to reduce the pressure differential.

Erici took a saw to his '07 screen, and made additional venting holes through it to decrease the pressure differential....this being in addition to the vent Yamaha added at the bottom of the screen on the redesign.

He has said a number of times now that he has 'quiet' air behind his screen. The 07 screen is much easier to modify than the 04-06 version. The area of the vents he used is actually bigger than what I suggest with the ovals on this '04-06' image. All the compound curves and the very limited number of attachment points for the earlier gen screen make it a bear to add vents. I'd bet it's quite prone to flexing and potential cracking from any sort of right angle cut you could make with a hand saw.

OEMholed.jpg

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
I have put a hole in my 05 windscreen. It really quieted the wind down behind the windscreen. My head does not get that slapping wind from the sides. I still need ear plugs, but the wind is more controlled. I tried cutting a hole in the yamaha touring screen, but did not make the hole big enough so it was the same type of wind as without the hole.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have put a hole in my 05 windscreen. It really quieted the wind down behind the windscreen. My head does not get that slapping wind from the sides. I still need ear plugs, but the wind is more controlled. I tried cutting a hole in the yamaha touring screen, but did not make the hole big enough so it was the same type of wind as without the hole.

How big a hole did you go with, and where did you put it in the 05 screen?

Do you have a picture?

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at many different hole designs and this one I thought looked ok. After I cut the hole I painted the backside of the screen. I think I am going to paint the whole thing. I like the looks of the painted screen. Here are a couple of pictures of it on the bike.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at many different hole designs and this one I thought looked ok. After I cut the hole I painted the backside of the screen. I think I am going to paint the whole thing. I like the looks of the painted screen. Here are a couple of pictures of it on the bike.

thats nice work !
i'm too afraid to cut into plastic :(

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Givi tall windscreen. It is easy to install, will take the wind off your chest,but not off your head, will not be less quiet than the stock one but took away the neck pain I experienced with the wind blast compared to the stock screen, allowing me to travel longer distances with less fatigue. Quality is quite good. I've been riding with the stock screen this week but prefer the Givi. (My bike is an 06).

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Givi tall windscreen. It is easy to install, will take the wind off your chest,but not off your head, will not be less quiet than the stock one but took away the neck pain I experienced with the wind blast compared to the stock screen, allowing me to travel longer distances with less fatigue. Quality is quite good. I've been riding with the stock screen this week but prefer the Givi. (My bike is an 06).

thx for the input
how tall are you?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
thats nice work !
i'm too afraid to cut into plastic :(

The only thing you need to do with plastic, is go slow. The blade will melt the plastic, and it will stick to the blade and the screen. If you have a line you want to cut along, putting painter's tape on the screen and cutting through that on your chosen line will give the melted stuff something else to stick to. :)

If you wanted to get someone to cut a vent into the screen for you, there are plastics fabrication places that have all the tools to do it extremely cleanly. Not terribly expensive, either. You'd have to remove the screen and sketch out what you want, then drop it off so they could do the work.

A conference with the shop manager concerning the layout is an easy enough thing..... I've done that a number of times with Acrylic bird cages, and mechanical fixtures. CAD files are nice, but a grease pencil will often do quite well.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay,so I just re-installed my Givi tall windscreen after riding with the stock windscreen installed for the past 2 weeks. The Givi definately takes the windblast off my body, but the wind blast is a lot louder around my helmet than with the stock screen installed...at freeway speed.(between 70 mph and 100 mph, but mostly @ 80 mph) Shoulda brought my earplugs!