Aftermarket exhaust question

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I know there are a ton of threads already out about this topic. Trust me, I searched and read pretty much all of them, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I am looking for an aftermarket exhaust but have a budget. I was wondering if aluminum cans will make the seat really hot? I have an 06 fz6 with stock exhaust now. I have not noticed any heat what-so-ever and have ridden for quite a while at a time. I am thinking of getting scorpion or leo vince. I know carbon fiber doesn't get as hot but I don't like the look as much. What about the passenger seat?

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I know there are a ton of threads already out about this topic. Trust me, I searched and read pretty much all of them, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I am looking for an aftermarket exhaust but have a budget. I was wondering if aluminum cans will make the seat really hot? I have an 06 fz6 with stock exhaust now. I have not noticed any heat what-so-ever and have ridden for quite a while at a time. I am thinking of getting scorpion or leo vince. I know carbon fiber doesn't get as hot but I don't like the look as much. What about the passenger seat?

I think everybody knows the answer to this question. You must buy Leo Vince, NOW! NOW! NOW!

You obviously haven't ridden in really hot Chicago weather yet my Chicago friend. I got my last summer and my butt was scorching. The carbon fiber Leo Vince fixed that really quick since, correct me if I'm wrong, it's the only one to include the decat midpipe. Decat pipe = less heat & more power!!! Can't comment on aluminum or titanium on heat issue, but imho carbon fiber looks cool, especially on a black bike.

p.s. People here would say not to listen to tcmalker, but make up your own mind!

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Leo Vinces - they do eliminate the cat - and I can say that my bike is MUCH cooler in the rear seat than with the stock exhaust.

My impression is that most aftermarket exhausts will run much cooler under the seat than the stocker.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Leo Vinces - they do eliminate the cat - and I can say that my bike is MUCH cooler in the rear seat than with the stock exhaust.

My impression is that most aftermarket exhausts will run much cooler under the seat than the stocker.

You are talking about the aluminum leo's, right? I have read things about exhaust that eliminate the cat too and everyone says that plays a major role.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think everybody knows the answer to this question. You must buy Leo Vince, NOW! NOW! NOW!

You obviously haven't ridden in really hot Chicago weather yet my Chicago friend. I got my last summer and my butt was scorching. The carbon fiber Leo Vince fixed that really quick since, correct me if I'm wrong, it's the only one to include the decat midpipe. Decat pipe = less heat & more power!!! Can't comment on aluminum or titanium on heat issue, but imho carbon fiber looks cool, especially on a black bike.

p.s. People here would say not to listen to tcmalker, but make up your own mind!

You are right, I have yet to ride this bike in the heat of the summer. So the stock exhaust did get really hot for you? Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go with a carbon fiber.

Last edited:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
You are right, I have yet to ride this bike in the heat of the summer. So the stock exhaust did get really hot for you? Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go with a carbon fiber.

I couldn't understand why it was so hot! It was unbearable stopped in traffic. Why don't you wait a little when it gets a little warmer and you can experience this for yourself. Then you can decide whether you need aftermarket exhaust or not. Then let us know what you decide. There's good threads showing how to install both the Leo Vince & Two Bros. And if you need help with the Leo I may be able to help.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't understand why it was so hot! It was unbearable stopped in traffic. Why don't you wait a little when it gets a little warmer and you can experience this for yourself. Then you can decide whether you need aftermarket exhaust or not. Then let us know what you decide. There's good threads showing how to install both the Leo Vince & Two Bros. And if you need help with the Leo I may be able to help.

That's a good idea. I'll follow up in a month or so with the before and after.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I bought carbon Leo Vince before tcmalker and they do exactly what he just stated. Plus the sound is amazing. There are plenty of examples floating around. If you want a picture, let me know.

And I still don't listen to him :) JK!

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just following up like I said I would after summer. After riding all summer on the stock exhaust I did not notice any unbearable heat from the exhaust to the seat. Even on a 2000mile road trip with temperatures in the 90's I never noticed the seat getting hot from the exhaust.

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
i know when i went from stock exhaust to the stainless scorps that the pilon area did pick up some heat... my S.O. complained on longer rides from the seat putting off more heat so i went to the carbon fiber set and it fixed all complaints; I noticed no difference from either set unless i was getting near them or touching them after a ride... the carbon set now runs so cool i can grab the cans after a 3 hour ride and they are no more than mildly warm to the touch...

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i know when i went from stock exhaust to the stainless scorps that the pilon area did pick up some heat... my S.O. complained on longer rides from the seat putting off more heat so i went to the carbon fiber set and it fixed all complaints; I noticed no difference from either set unless i was getting near them or touching them after a ride... the carbon set now runs so cool i can grab the cans after a 3 hour ride and they are no more than mildly warm to the touch...

If/when I get an aftermarket it will be CF for that reason.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously, go for Leo Vince:

1) With CO adjust + 7HP (no CO, then 3HP)
2) Minus 3kg
3) Comes with CAT eliminator included
4) One of the few systems which are balanced. Left can is shorter for more even exhaust flow.
5) SBK = World Superbikes (argue with that)

In terms of the heat question. The stock heat shielding on the FZ is pretty decent. Carbon Fibre will give less heat, but when the packing starts to go on carbon cans the outer fibre can burn/get damaged/discolour.

Aftermarket heat shield sticky pads can be stuck under the seat. They offer excellent heat dissipation. They are also very cheap.