Adventure riding?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone here ever had great dreams of a grand motorcycling adventure?

I have been planning a trip to South America, and later Africa, via motorcycle. There is just something tremendously special about it. I've been a member on another forum (over @ Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum) and am beside myself with giddiness every time I think of how much closer I am getting to that dream. I graduate in April and will start my formal training for the "round the world" trip I will eventually make (god willing).

By formal training I mean dicking around in north west canada next summer and south america/africa in a couple years beyond that.

By the time I hit my 30th birthday I expect to have done this (I'm 25 now).

I'm just curious who else is afflicted by this virus? Surely I'm not the only one.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have a look at Horizonsunlimited.com as well.

I have been in touch with 2 sets of riders since last Christmas. Rob from Yorkshire rode from Sydney, Australia to London and Pascal and Anja rode from Melbourne to Oslo in Sweden.

Those trips are expensive and very time consuming. Not just the riding but the months of planning before you set off.

I take joy in organising trips around Europe. Last year we went from Denmark to France. This year we went from Denmark to the UK through France, over the Alps into Italy, back through Germany and home to Denmark.

I think you need to be completely free of commitments to be able to do a RTW trip.

Steve

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
If you really wanna do something - you find a way. If not - you find excuses :)

Every single morning I am waking up thinking of Ted Simon's, Ewan Mcgregor's and Charlie Boorman's around-the-globe-adventures. I'm gonna do a trip like that multiple times whatever it takes me! :)

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to take off and do some US touring. So far the biggest ride I've done was about 3600 miles in a week. The longest straight shot I've done was about 850 miles. Neither of these trips was on the FZ6 so I'd like to see what I could do on it.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
M'boy has gone to Baja a few times, and we'll definitely be doing that as a couple before too much time has passed.

Our crazy plan is to rent motos and tour Europe, visiting all of the fun tracks over there and enjoying as many of the beautiful places we can. That will take some time and saving, but it'll be worth it. I wasn't sure we'd ever manage to swing an Australian moto trip, after all, and we did! I don't want to die not doing all of the things I want to do...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Lone...I'm currently shopping for an ADV ride. First choice would be the KTM 640 Adventure.

If you tour through Cali, I will be PISSED OFF if you don't include me in your plans. I know lots of good roads between LA and the Oregon/Washington border. I'll be exploring all the ADV roads more and more over the next year.

You're not the only one.

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife is from Cali Colombia, I've been wanting to ride my Kawasaki KLR650 to Colombia from texas and tour south america.I rode a 250 in the mountains around Cali it was nice! You can rent KLR650's in Cali . We are going back to Colombia Dec.1-9 , it's a Adventure......

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Mt dream trip was to ride from somewhere in Alaska to Ushuaia at the tip of Argentina. I had saved up loads of money and was within reaching distance of starting the trip and then the ****ing financial crisis hit and my pounds sterling were suddenly worth a lot less dollars! And then to make matters worse I met a gorgeous French girl and decided to move to France where I have now spent all the money I saved up as I am struggling to find work! It remains a dream that will be done 'one day'!

Lone make sure you do it! Stay away from girls (they can wreck all your plans!) ha ha!

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
hey lone, from now you can count on me

when you plan to come to Colombia/when you arrive here please let me know, I can put you in contact with bikers from several places here (specially bogotá the capital city) and it will be my pleasure to guide you through Medellín - Antioquia :thumbup:

Cheers.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh no. You're not the only one. I've been doing some serious diggin into this as well. It'll be some time before I get enough cash to get myself a bike, after all, I can't sell the Fazer....
Lots of good options for world adventure riding, and who knows what I'll end up getting. Let's hope we can all do a good ride together one day.