adjusting rear suspension, Help Please.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have read the service manual and I have adjusted this type of rear shock before.
For the life of me I just cant seem to get enough purchase on the adjuster to stiffen up the shock. There seems to be plenty of room if I wanted to soften it. What am I doing wrong?

Neil:confused:

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
You are using the extention handle on the wrench? Also, can you see the marker - the smallest hole (7) is the stiffest...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes mate, I am using the extension bar. I just dont have enough room to actually turn the settings. Is the small hole you are refering to the contact point for the wrench?

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
You are approaching from the top of the let side cover... there is a bit of a cutaway so the side cover doesn't have to be removed...

You should be able to turn (align) the wrench and have it grab in any of those holes leaving enough room to still twist the wrench once locked onto those holes - I hope you know what I mean?

I think the small hole lines up with the marker when you are maxed out...

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why 5? Just curious.
I really like a firm ride, I thought that 7 would be to hard. I have been out on it tonight and it feels much more how I like my rear end to feel. I also have my son on the back alot. Number 3 setting is to bouncy two up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how much do you weight?
75 Kg or 12 stone ish or 168 lbs ish.
I know that it is over sprung for my weight but to ride it feels much better to me. On my own and two up. I tried setting 4 with my son and on my own and there was really not much difference that I coul note.
I also know that I may increase tyre wear and increase the risk slightly of the rear stepping out. I just like a solid back end.

Neil

Neil

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
na i was wondering why u wanted it so soft, but thats good for your weight. spring tension can affect traction sure, but it the dampening thats the real issue there. spring tension is for the swing arm geometry. having the swing arm flatter (soft spring) causes slower turning by increasing wheelbase. motogp bikes have pivot adjustment! the new 675's are known to get way more side grip by moving the pivot up by 1/4". (making the swing arm angled down more) they make pivot adjusters because using preload does tear tires/traction. but that shouldnt concern you because you're not racing proffesionally or anything. if you want the real lowdown to be 100%, just measure your sag..25-35mm. mine is at 29mm on 7 and i weight 210lbs. 5 makes sense for you.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
na i was wondering why u wanted it so soft, but thats good for your weight. spring tension can affect traction sure, but it the dampening thats the real issue there. spring tension is for the swing arm geometry. having the swing arm flatter (soft spring) causes slower turning by increasing wheelbase. motogp bikes have pivot adjustment! the new 675's are known to get way more side grip by moving the pivot up by 1/4". (making the swing arm angled down more) they make pivot adjusters because using preload does tear tires/traction. but that shouldnt concern you because you're not racing proffesionally or anything. if you want the real lowdown to be 100%, just measure your sag..25-35mm. mine is at 29mm on 7 and i weight 210lbs. 5 makes sense for you.
Thanks Ped,
I haven't got a clue what sag is? Is it the slack that is taken up by the riders weight?
Why is the factory setting set so soft (3)?
The small amount of info you get in the riders manual does not indicate spring setting to riders weight. One of the other things I have noticed is that it is more willing to wheelie to. I presumed this was because the softer setting (previously) was taking some of the torque?
Then again thats why I don't have a factory ride for Yamaha and am required to provide rear end feed back for another pole position winning lap lol.