Adjusting headlight

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys

I have a question for you. How the h*** do I lower the headlight beam on my naked 07 FZ6? I figure there must be some place to adjust the beam, right? Other than tilting the entire headlight up and down.

I've gone through the manual, but no help :( Thing is that the beam is just a couple of cm to high when I'm riding, but way way too hight when I ride with my girlfriend on the back. High like permanent high beam, which definitely is blinding other motorists. Not too cool :spank:

So my question is this: Do I have to undo the en tire headligth, to adjust the beam up and down? Or is there some other way to do this? Say a little screw you can turn without undoing the headlight. I've looked and tried if I could find it, with the headlight i place, just turning the forks left and right, but nothing. Not being the mechanical type, I'm a little nervous about just unscrewing stuff I don't know how to but back together, so would like to know if it is necessary.

Any help would be greatly apprechiated :) - and any pictures would be priceless :thumbup:

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Good news! There are a couple of adjuster screws on the headlight unit. If you have a Fazer you have to take some of the fairing panels off to get to them easily though. There are 2 screws for adjusting the horizontal beam and 2 for the vertical. As you look at the headlight unit from the back you can see where the bulbs are held. At about 1 o'clock to the left bulb and 11 o'clock to the right are the 2 horizontal adjusters. At 8 o'clock to the left and 4 o'clock to the right are the vertical adjusters.

To set up your lights, put your bike at a distance of 3.8 metres from, and facing, a wall, and sit on it with all your gear on (and maybe your missus too) but don't have it on the stand. Measure the height from the ground to the centre of the lights, and mark this on the wall. Mark a horizontal line to intersect the height of the lights on the wall (so you have made a cross on the wall). On dipped beam the light beam should be slightly lower than the horizontal line and to the right or the vertical line.

Hope this helps! By the way, it's worth investing in a Hanes FZ6 manual - you can do everything with this! Get one on ebay for about 18 Euros.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Oops! I just read your post a little more clearly and you have the naked version! So, if you take the headlight off you only have one screw adjuster for vertical and 1 for horizontal. Vertical is at 8 o'clock to the bulb and horizontal is at 2 o'clock! The same info applies for setting up the beam though.

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Oops! I just read your post a little more clearly and you have the naked version! So, if you take the headlight off you only have one screw adjuster for vertical and 1 for horizontal. Vertical is at 8 o'clock to the bulb and horizontal is at 2 o'clock! The same info applies for setting up the beam though.

Fantastic :D I figured there had to be a logical way to do this. Would have been great to be able to do this without unmounting the headlight, but hey :)

Thanks for info :thumbup:

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I don't know if you can reach the adjusters without removing the headlight. Which in fact makes it a real pain to set your beam pattern as you'd have to adjust a little bit, re-mount, take off again for any fine tuning etc!

Good luck!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys

I have a question for you. How the h*** do I lower the headlight beam on my naked 07 FZ6? I figure there must be some place to adjust the beam, right? Other than tilting the entire headlight up and down.

I've gone through the manual, but no help :( Thing is that the beam is just a couple of cm to high when I'm riding, but way way too hight when I ride with my girlfriend on the back. High like permanent high beam, which definitely is blinding other motorists. Not too cool :spank:

So my question is this: Do I have to undo the en tire headligth, to adjust the beam up and down? Or is there some other way to do this? Say a little screw you can turn without undoing the headlight. I've looked and tried if I could find it, with the headlight i place, just turning the forks left and right, but nothing. Not being the mechanical type, I'm a little nervous about just unscrewing stuff I don't know how to but back together, so would like to know if it is necessary.

Any help would be greatly apprechiated :) - and any pictures would be priceless :thumbup:
Hi mate,

This is taken from th Haynes Manual 8.11 para phrased to hopefully not breech copyright.

The headlight adjuster thingys are mounted on the left hand side of the headlight unit (vertical adjustment). It sits approximately 8 O'Clock to the bulb housing cover. Turn screw clockwise for beam to go down and anti-clockwise for beam to go up. A long screw driver should reach easily.

On the back right of the headlight unit is the horizontal adjustment. it is diagonally opposite the left adjuster at about 2 O'Clock. In th manual the unit is off the bike. I don't think you will visualize the right adjuster screw with the light in situ. Turn it clockwise for right adjustment and anti-clockwise for left adjustment.

You can defo see the left screw with the headlight in situ. The right screw might be a push. The manual like all things Haynes instructs that you disconnect battery, drain fuel, drain oil, remove engine and proceed.

Good luck.

Nelly

PS I have just read my post and I can't understand a bloody word of it. It's the thought that counts. I haven't been on in months and need to get my post count up.

Last edited:

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually got my inspection sticker yesterday and had the same issue where my left low beam was reaaaly high and he was going to fail me but just said fix that up or go to the dealer.

I could barely see the 8 o'clock through the fairings, so I'm going to try to reach for it today, but I was thinking that wouldn't you want to go clockwise (ie tighten the headlight housing so it moves down?) Just thinking of how my other bikes worked.. I'll figure it out by trial and error anyways.......

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My mistake guys,

Apologies, you are quit correct. Clockwise makes the beam go down. My original post has been edited.
Before adjusting any screws make sure you are running the correct tyre pressures. under inflation makes the beam low and vis a versa. Haynes also recommend loading the bike with the normal riding weight to achieve correct adjustment.

Nelly

Last edited: