Added Rizoma Bars, Ends and Grips

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished adding the Rizoma stuff to my bike. Took a little longer than expected, but no more then 3 hours from start to finish. I had a hell of a time getting the old grip off the clutch side, and instead of filing off the tabs in the plastic housings I drilled two holes into the bars after I had them positioned where I wanted them. Much more comfortable for me now, but steering lock places everything VERY close to the mirror stalks. Added a few pictures for fun.

2010-03-06062.jpg

2010-03-06063.jpg

2010-03-06064.jpg

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work,that looks great :thumbup:

I,m in the middle of fitting the grips and bar ends too,got the clutch side done and very happy so far.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Highly thinking of painting! Its supposed to snow again, so bike will be back in the shed soon.

As for the bars and stuff being close to the mirror stalks, I adjusted them and you have about a full inch at bar lock before you hit anything.

Comfort is amazing. The grips and bar change the end in your wrist to a much more neutral and comfortable angle. Vibration is much less, and the throttle pull is more comfortable now.

motopete

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great shinn!!! I know you'll enjoy this mod, I love mine I'm also glad you choose the black bars, so we don't look like twins LOL.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks fantastic Shinn.

I want to order rizoma bar ends and grips, but with the 08 I am hearing of problems getting the throttle side to fit properly. Don't want to have to order new bars.

I'll keep checking threads until I find more info.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks fantastic Shinn.

I want to order rizoma bar ends and grips, but with the 08 I am hearing of problems getting the throttle side to fit properly. Don't want to have to order new bars.

No worries Kazza, they actually work really well. The most you would need to do is by a little longer bolt, but they hold really well and look superb. The grips are so worth it too, and the bar was just for my own comfort but you may like it to!

Motopete, I want to thank you for all the advice on the product. They are amazing, and I finally think I got them to the perfect position after three trips. 100km ride and the final thought is a 10/10 for comfort and reduced vibration along with a gorgeous look. My neighbour even came over and commented saying they really added to the bike.

Knabel

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a couple questions for you guys that have done this mod:

1. What exactly do you like about the grips? I have stock grips and having never held or ridden a bike with Rizoma grips, what's better?

2. It looks like the Rizoma bar has slightly different geometry. Do you notice a difference in your riding position?

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks fantastic Shinn.

It's not a problem. I ordered the Rizoma bar ends and grips and installed them on the factory 08 handlebars with no problems. I ordered the Rizoma bars later, but had nothing to do with improper fit. Hope this helps :)

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a couple questions for you guys that have done this mod:

1. What exactly do you like about the grips? I have stock grips and having never held or ridden a bike with Rizoma grips, what's better?

2. It looks like the Rizoma bar has slightly different geometry. Do you notice a difference in your riding position?

Answers

1. The grips are cool, I mean they are "Rizoma's" seriously, I like the feel of them they seem to not vibrate my hands as much.

2. The Rizoma bars allow a more comfortable riding grip/position for me, much more comfortable IMHO.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Answers from someone else:

1. The grips curve to my hand much better, and are a little thinner then stock so my girly hands are more comfortable. Less vibration and much easier to hold for longer times.

2. The bars are placed about the same height, but have much less bend back towards the rider. I've found with my wrists they are no longer bent outward on the bars but are perfectly straight with my forearms. Seating position has changed ever so slightly, and you lean maybe a degree more, it is that hard to tell. The comfrtr for the arms is worth it.

Knabel

Reaction score
Visit site
Answers from someone else:

1. The grips curve to my hand much better, and are a little thinner then stock so my girly hands are more comfortable. Less vibration and much easier to hold for longer times.

2. The bars are placed about the same height, but have much less bend back towards the rider. I've found with my wrists they are no longer bent outward on the bars but are perfectly straight with my forearms. Seating position has changed ever so slightly, and you lean maybe a degree more, it is that hard to tell. The comfrtr for the arms is worth it.

Sounds like it may be a mod worth considering for someone with a higher risk of carpal tunnel from sitting at a computer all day??

Thanks for the useful feedback about the grips. They are on my next season list, and now possibly the handlebars too.

How long did it take you guys to change the bar?

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Took around 3 hours but that was with two trips to the store because I forgot I ran out of lock tite then had to pick up my new brake lines before the store closed. I'd say 2 hours if you have everything you need and such. It was well worth it, the stock bars as you can see in the pictures are awkward looking.