Accidentally changed MPH to KMPH.

mbramlett

Crazy MOFO
Reaction score
Visit site
I was all geared up for my first real long touring ride went out and went around my favorite turn that I usually do 60 around and looked down and I was going 90 :spank:. Good thing it was KMPH so I took that as a sign that I wasen't supposed to go and turned around and got in the car with my wife. And now I can't even find it in my owners manual or on this forum for how to change it back. :eek: I'm hoping someone on here knows how to change it back.

I did search with not luck of finding a thread for this before.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
lol, i did that too. The 2 buttons on the instrument cluster, hold the left one down (i think it's the select button) for a few seconds and it'll change back.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:scared: I did that too when I first got the bike! I kept wondering why all these cars were starting to "pile up" behind me! :rof:
I finally passed one of those police speed checker things and realized what a :tard: I was!

mbramlett

Crazy MOFO
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I was a bit baffled too I slowed down to the speed limit and almost got ran over. I knew something was up when I got up to 100 in first gear. I didn't really want to ride 8 hours without knowing how fast I was going. Plus my guardian angel does stuff like that on a pretty regular basis so I figured that was a sign I shoulden't take the trip.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
lol, i did that too. The 2 buttons on the instrument cluster, hold the left one down (i think it's the select button) for a few seconds and it'll change back.

Yep - hold down Select for 2 seconds and it'll change kmh to mph.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I did it too when I first got the bike. I was coming up on a sweeping (50-60mph) turn glanced down and I was doing almost 100. :eek:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
This country is all F'ed UP not being, by now, on metric system. This business of having to have to maintain two sets of tool chests, one for metric and another for SAE is ridiculous. For me, it's maddening. Oh well. Good 'ol USA.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
This country is all F'ed UP not being, by now, on metric system. This business of having to have to maintain two sets of tool chests, one for metric and another for SAE is ridiculous. For me, it's maddening. Oh well. Good 'ol USA.

Hmmm... I've been wondering why you haven't changed your measuring system yet. As far as I know, you do use the SI system on different occasions, and not adopting the metric measuring system must be a real pita:confused: Further, your way of measuring stuff isn't much intuitive either, or at least it's way more complicated than the metric one.

Even the stubborn Brits have to some extent adopted this:D

C

CombatPenguin

I wish we would switch to metric, it would be so nice then I wouldn't have a car that uses some metric and some standars sizes.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Only the US FZ6's speedo's can change from MPH to KPH and back again. Our Canadian FZ6's don't have this function. How stupid is that.
Installing a Speedohealer does provide this function, however.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm... I've been wondering why you haven't changed your measuring system yet. As far as I know, you do use the SI system on different occasions, and not adopting the metric measuring system must be a real pita:confused: Further, your way of measuring stuff isn't much intuitive either, or at least it's way more complicated than the metric one.

Even the stubborn Brits have to some extent adopted this:D

Well yes and no. We were given no choice but to get rid of pints, gallons, pounds, ounces etc, but the mph appears to be here to stay for a while longer.

Getting rid of gallons made it so that they could sneak the price of fuel up, in increments that most of the buying public wouldn't know how to calculate. Doubt any of them really know how many litres are in an imperial gallon.

With the weights it made it so that they could sell less stuff for the same price.

We've been buying cars and motorbikes form Japan for years, killed off our own motor industry by lack of investment, so that metric sized spanners/nuts etc to us are second nature.

Hopefully the MPH will stay for as long as possible, otherwise the national speed limit will become 60kph instead of 60mph, so I can exceed the speed limit by a higher number of kmh instead of mph, then the courts can fine me more since the magistrates couldn't work out what day it is let alone realise that 20kmh over the limit is next to nothing :spank:

Seems to me that it's about money really.

Last edited:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Only the US FZ6's speedo's can change from MPH to KPH and back again. Our Canadian FZ6's don't have this function. How stupid is that.
Installing a Speedohealer does provide this function, however.

My British one changes it too.

We use mph, but fill up with litres of petrol. Worse in Ireland though - some signposts give distances in miles, but the speed limits are in kilometres.

vrsbrazil

Reaction score
twitter.com
I was all geared up for my first real long touring ride went out and went around my favorite turn that I usually do 60 around and looked down and I was going 90 :spank:. Good thing it was KMPH so I took that as a sign that I wasen't supposed to go and turned around and got in the car with my wife. And now I can't even find it in my owners manual or on this forum for how to change it back. :eek: I'm hoping someone on here knows how to change it back.

:rtfm::Sport:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

thanks for starting this thread, good to know how
to do it intentionally for us cross-border riders

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
At least Star Trek has always been metric, Mr Roddenbury knew a thing or two about how the future ought to be.

We were taught in metric at School and I am well into my forties, the only imperial units I use are mph and miles.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site

Not as stupid as the US is for being unable to make the changeover as it was already tried during the 1970's. There has even been a NASA catastrophic mission failure due to having two systems. If I'm elected president, I will...

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I am too old/stubborn to like the idea of the stupid metric system but I wish everything was either standard or metric. This dual system is just designed to generate cash for "The Man". It would be nice to have only ONE set of tools.