About to pull the trigger on a riding suit...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like those Motoport gloves, but I wish Wayne would put more Deflexion armor on them. Deflexion in the outer layer to the quad armor. I asked him a few months ago and he said he doesn't have any plans to do so.

I have really good Sidi gloves, but I got them wet many times. I've been commuting rain or shine and I doubt they'd last another year.

Maybe if enough people ask Wayne, he will bring out a newer version to his gloves.....

When you say Deflexion are you talking about that palm and finger areas?.
If you are I've seen the finger area with less of that material. Those glove are manufactured out of house.
That palm material on the underside of the fingers is slippery on the levers. I don't like the feeling and when I do use them again I'll wrap sports tape or that Bonderant (sp?) tape on the levers.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like those Motoport gloves, but I wish Wayne would put more Deflexion armor on them. Deflexion in the outer layer to the quad armor. I asked him a few months ago and he said he doesn't have any plans to do so.

When you say Deflexion are you talking about that palm and finger areas?.

Whoops. I meant "some" Deflexion armor. Right now there is none. I don't think there's enough armor. His gloves aren't as good as the race-inspired gloves you see out there. Some Deflexion along the wrist and outside the palm would be better.
Deflexion is the white layer on the quad armor:
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Motoport_Pants_Initial_Review.JPG

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoops. I meant "some" Deflexion armor. Right now there is none. I don't think there's enough armor. His gloves aren't as good as the race-inspired gloves you see out there. Some Deflexion along the wrist and outside the palm would be better.
Deflexion is the white layer on the quad armor:
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Motoport_Pants_Initial_Review.JPG

Okay. I totally agree! I had the chance of experiencing a pretty violent cash and hitting the ground hard. The armor could definitely be better in the Kevlar gloves. I have SIDI Powers that have great wrist and outer edge protection. The Kevlar would still probably be better in a freeway cheese grater slide. I hate poor finger articulation in gloves. We all have such unique hands it's hard to find a good quality glove that fits well.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
i always thought the knee pucks were a waste. i'm not knee dragging out in the street, and i sure wouldn't be in the textile suit.

i cant even tell you where mine are......
Yeah, I've never even dragged a knee in my life, but I sure would like to :p. If they're going to put them on there, well...:don'tknow:
so yeah i think the material is ok. i've tested it (kinda). it's still not cordura.
Yeah, that's one thing about the Teiz - they list the V3 as:
600D Polyester Shell and 1680D Nylon Ballistics
So they're not using Cordura branded material, but shouldn't two materials of equal tear strength (say 500D) be equivalent regardless of brand? I guess that begs the question of how reliable any of these claimed denier ratings are in the first place.
i havent checked the teiz thread for a while, but i think the commute suit looks pretty good. better than the lombard v3. wow! it's cheap!
if your scorpions are good enough for commuting, then you have time to shop around. when you buy, make sure it's an upgrade.
Yeah, I read in that ADVRider thread that they are looking to do some additional upgrades to the commute suit. Between that and the new 'Stich stuff set to arrive in June, maybe it is best to wait a bit.
Skull cap helmet = Gene pool correction

Good luck in your shopping. I just bought the olympia MOAB jacket and the Airglide pants. They work great. The belt on the jacket actually acts a little like a kidney belt on long rides and supports the back. The pants are like wearing airconditioning almost. With the liners in all of that goes away.
Thanks, there is a used Phantom on ADVRider that I thought about responding about, but I'm at the top of the height range for the size (M) and am not sure about buying from an individual when I'm not certain about the fit.
I hear peeps say they don't like the look of the Motoport gear. Okay... but my GP2 pant looks pretty good. Not as cool looking as my Astar leathers but they have different types of gear you might look at. I could have bought a whole lot more stuff for my riding pleasure and fun but a walk away is worth much much more....
I know I shouldn't care about how it looks so much, but I can't help but be a little conscious of it. I think the 2-piece stuff is alright, and I think the track-oriented gear like your pants is cool and an awesome alternative to leather, but their 1-pieces are a bit potato-sack looking. If they breathe like they say they do, it's probably well worth it, though, but still a bit out of my price range for the moment.

If I had to rate the suits I've considered purely on looks, I'd have to say:
1. Teiz Lombard V3
2. Teiz Commute Suit
3. Olympia Phantom
4. Aerostich Roadcrafter
5. Aerostich Roadcrafter Light/Ultra
6. Motoport 1-Piece Ultratek Kevlar/Airmesh Kevlar/Cordura

That's all based on photos I've seen here on the interwebs, though. I've only seen the Roadcrafter in person.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
If I had to rate the suits I've considered purely on looks, I'd have to say:
1. Teiz Lombard V3
2. Teiz Commute Suit
3. Olympia Phantom
4. Aerostich Roadcrafter
5. Aerostich Roadcrafter Light/Ultra
6. Motoport 1-Piece Ultratek Kevlar/Airmesh Kevlar/Cordura

There is a new Commute 2 suit out from Teiz. Looks nice. Too dark for my tastes, but looks cool.
Looks like there are no vents? Seems like a deal breaker there.......

Olympia Phantom has an "outer shell constructed in coated 500 and 2000 denier Cordura® fabric". Nice.
I think that suit is a good deal.

Since you have time, you should scour advrider and maybe some bmw forums for used roadcrafters. Getting a used one should be fine, and should save you some money.

And my Motoports don't look that bad!!! Although it makes me feel like Randy from a Christmas Story:
randy_card-christmas-story.jpg

Don't get me wrong, though, the Motports are comfy and not heavy while riding. :thumbup: The kevlar blend is very light.

Last edited:

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, put your arms down when you get to school.

Hehe, I don't think the 2-pieces are as bad, but the 1-piece just seems to have a lot of uncut fabric that sort of adds to that sack look, especially in the back. It's probably a better design for safety reasons (less seams, greater tear strength), but does make it a bit bland.

I've read that the blend is much lighter/breathable than it looks. Yeah, I saw that Olympia does use genuine Cordura, that is a big plus at that price point.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
5'10, 160ish here. I think I'd want a large for use as an over-suit. Wasn't planning on going high-vis, but it is for commuting and that is a heck of a price.

Oh well, I'll sleep on it before I let my sleep debt get too out of hand this week and see if it's still available in the morning and see how I feel about it then.

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
5'10, 160ish here. I think I'd want a large for use as an over-suit. Wasn't planning on going high-vis, but it is for commuting and that is a heck of a price.

Oh well, I'll sleep on it before I let my sleep debt get too out of hand this week and see if it's still available in the morning and see how I feel about it then.

yeah that seems ok for you.
just wondering why that guy got a large.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno, I thought it fit him pretty well. Once on the bike a little extra length is usually a good thing (that's what she said).

I PM'd him this morning. That's a killer deal. The way these folk drive around campus some extra visibility is definitely a plus.