A trip in the UK

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I need an advice from the UK citizens. I'd like to spend my vacation in the UK in the beginning of November. I want to rent a bike in London and ride through whole country up to Scotland. Is it possible? What is the weather in the UK at that time? I hope there is no snow in November.

What do you think about this idea?

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
No snow normally in November (although you might get a few flurries in the Highlands of Scotland), but it will be cold, dark and wet. Not below freezing cold, but chilly and damp cold.

I think you are OK to drive (and ride, if you have motorcycle entitlement on your licence), for up to 12 months.
Driving licences

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Jez,
Thank you for useful information.

I've just looked at the average temperature in Edinburgh (+6C) in November. I guess a bike is not a good idea for November. October is much better;) On the other hand, you will not sweat during riding)))

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Dan,

Yeah Jez has it pretty much spot on: Dark, wet and cold.

I live in the north east, about 2 hours from the Scottish border, and it gets bloody cold up here, for the UK anyway. Average winter temperatures up here are about 5-6 deg C, but it gets colder the farther north you get.

Not much chance of snow in November, but dont quote me on that, we get snow before most people in England.

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, 6 or 8 degree is not big problem for me. I rode a bike in the same conditions here in Moscow. It seems to me riding in November in Scotland is the bad idea. Don't you think so? Maybe do not create unnecessary problems and just rent a car?

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Last October (first part of month) we did a tour from Yorkshire to Shetland (about as far North in the UK as you can go). We set off from Yorkshire with temperature about 13'C and by time we got to Shetland typical temperature was 5'C. We even had snow flurries in Shetland in October !

You would need good waterproof gear when ever you come to UK, in November you would need good thermals as well, and probably heated grips.

The beauty of the UK weather is you never know what to expect, we have had really warm sunny periods October/November, but it can also be very cold a grim.

Also the day light length is pretty short in October, and even more so in November.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
6 degrees is borderline riding conditions for me. I might do a short run somewhere, but long days in the saddle would be a bit rough.

You definitely need good waterproof kit.

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
Not just getting cold and wet, good riding kit will help there, but the roads get slippery with mud and leaves, visibility is often poor so other drivers often do not see you and our roads are VERY busy, always cars everywhere. Not so bad for us, we are used to it, but all of that together can make things very difficult for someone who has not ridden here before, it's a lot of extra concentration to find while riding somewhere new on a rented bike you may not be used to.

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Im with Nooj on that one, and you can probably guess fromthe many vids posted on Youtube, cage drivers over here are amongst the most ignorrant in the world when it comes to other road users!!

Im not trying to put you off bud, far from it!! we do have some great roads over here and some great scenery for touring through, especially through the dales and Pennines, and Scotland is breathtaking (wishing I had my bike NOW!!! :( )