A Taste Of Tampa, Florida

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
I was born and raised in Miami, and personally, I hated that place. Way too many people... most of them learned English as a second language (if they know any at all) and most of them can't drive. I'm actually glad that I learned to drive there because Miami is a kind of worst-case-scenario as far as traffic conditions are concerned. I drive and ride very defensively, and when it comes to it, I know how to be aggressive enough to assert myself on the road.

Florida summers are hot and sticky, and at least in South FL it rained almost every day... Yes, just like someone else said on this thread-- you can ride your bike year round *with rain gear.* Down there we would usually get about 3 weeks total of *non-consecutive* days of "winter".. which means anything between mid 40's to upper sixties 60's. Again, I don't know about Tampa, but Miami would be a pretty boring place to ride (straight, flat roads with right-angle corners) not to mention dangerous! If I ever move back to S. FL I would have to sell my bike... It's just not worth it.

I know you're talking about Tampa, not Miami, so I'll hold back on the rest of my Miami rant... I've been to the Tampa Bay area a couple of times, and I liked what I saw, but I've come to like Tallahassee for what it is. I'm not suggesting you move here or anything, Tallahassee is basically a collegetown-- but I like that it's farther north and so has 4 seasons (though it still doesn't snow) and more interesting roads and scenery (hills and trees... non-existent below Orlando)...

If you're looking for a big change, though, I think you'll be happy in Tampa.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live on the west coast of Florida Cape Coral / Ft. Myers. I have been here for the past 1 1/2 and love it. I lived in Staten Island, NY and the only thing i miss is my son (bad divorce) who is 6. I am on the Gulf, and it's cold for around 2-3 months. Like today, in the early AM it was 48, now in the PM it's 60. But, the summer time it's brutal. It can get (on a daily bassist) 100 +, and like clockwork it would rain for an hour every day between 3-6, otherwise open season for riding. I ride all year round, and if it gets cold i putt on the 2pc and i a good to go.

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, since someone mentioned Bright Futures.. one more thing to consider: The cost of higher education in Florida may be well below the national average right now, but Governor Charlie Crist is about to change that! :rant:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish Church's Chicken would franchise in New England! KFC sucks in comparision!

We went to Tampa/Clearwater for a vacation back in 2005. LOVED the place! Tampa was awesome!

Don't know about actually living in Florida though.... Outside of what I've posted above from word-of-mouth.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay...Florida, I love it. I grew up here. Hurricanes, no problem. You only have to evacuate if you live on an island or in a trailer park, or a cat4 or greater is coming. Humidity, Airmesh. Thunderstorms, in the summertime you can set your watch to them. Housing is cheap, most schools are great, my wife is a teacher at an A school. Taxes are... Insurance...eeh. Cost of living is a lot less than up north (so i've been told). You can ride year round w/rain gear!

DO NOT MOVE HERE!!! There's all ready to many people here! Stay up north you damn yankee!:Flip:

j/k:welcome:come on down. visit the mouse house, ride your bike and dip your arse in the ocean/gulf. Good Luck!

Just for that when I move I'll come look for you, and play LOUD rap music, LOL.
All kidding aside, the humidity isn't that bad. I was born in Manila, Philippines and heat and hurricane doesn't bother me much, it was normal part of growing up there. Humidity I got used to. The hurricane from what I was told matters if your near the gulf, pan handle area. Tampa is more inland and less likely to see roofs flying off, not to say it can't happen.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lived in St. Petersburg for 18 years and loved it. I've been away for 6 years now and I still dream about the day I move back. Nothing like driving up Gulf Blvd to Clearwater beach to scope the spring break hotties :thumbup::thumbup: I guess there might be one thing better...riding the Fizzer up Gulf Blvd! :rockon: Plus nightlife is awesome 7th ave in Ybor City, Channelside, Baywalk. There is always something to do, and if there isnt you can always go to the beach! Oh and the best part! No SNOW!!

As far as education, as a product of the FL public school system I can say its good, I'd suggest a magnet school for HS though, they have a more focused course schedule I felt better prepared me for college. FL also offers a Bright Futures scholarship which as long as you have at least a 3.0 GPA can get you 75% tuition coverage for any state school, 3.5 gets you 100%. And you've got a bunch of schools to choose from. UCF, UF, FSU, USF just to name a few.

I say go for it, I'll be right behind you!

Schooling is a definite factor in helping to consider in moving to Florida, good to great type of schools (public) compared to some in New Jersey.
For the equity alone in the house I'm in now, I can buy a bigger, newer house in cash and still have enough to buy a decent condo.
I will end up taking a pay cut, buy hey..... no mortage, free schooling, VERY affordable college for my three kids. I worked in the medical field and Florida is swelling up with senior citizens to keep me employed for several lifetimes.
What do I have to sacrifice and lived with pales in comparison to what my family and myself will gain in the future.
Worst case scenario, I just move back NJ.
Nothing ventured................
Nothing gained.
CARPE DIEM

Ares

Donnie869

Bass/BikeMaster
Reaction score
www.palmbaybassmasters.com
I'm on the east coast blueMONday, about 3 hours from Tampa (the way my wife drives) when you come down pm me and we'll meet up over in Orlando(halfway) and have a brew at Citywalk(I love that place). Fl. is a great place to live, my wife has been trying to get me to move to North Carolina for about 6 years now.:Flip: I love to visit there but couldn't imagine going to work when it gets that cold:Flip:

FZ6inNH:Flip: I hope you are freezing your arse off with your twistie roads:Flip:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your best bet is probably stay where you are now. The traffic is becoming a real burden down here with all of the \"northerners\" coming down. I commute on I-75 everyday and it's becoming worse each year. You'll appreciate \"dirty-Jersey\" the longer you stay there! :justkidding:

I'm in Central Jersey........... aka Cancer Corner to us in the medical field.
Industrial Companies spewing tons of pollution each year.
Incinerators in Rahway.
Gas companies in Elizabeth, Sewaren.
All around me, friends and family and complete strangers being diagnose with all kinds of cancer.
Traffic you say......... I seen all kinds of traffic. If you've never driven anywhere in the Asia, you don't know what REAL traffic is like. And I'm not talking about mules or any beast of burden. Thats for **** is only in the provinces. New York traffic is a piece of cake, I used to ride my mountain bike and grab on buses, taxis to hitch for some free ride or just to speed up.
So traffic doesn't bother me much, all you need is a good GPS with traffic advisory package and you're good to go.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, stay away! It sucks down here. It's too hot, hurricanes suck, it rains all the time, too many cubans, too many OLD people on the roads, the beaches are dirty, the roads are flat and straight, the pay sucks compared to \"other places\".
Stay right where you're at. Make it home, get some good winter gear and enjoy what you have.

I am definitely looking for you when I move in, maybe you can show me around Clearwater?

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, stay away! It sucks down here. It's too hot, hurricanes suck, it rains all the time, too many cubans, too many OLD people on the roads, the beaches are dirty, the roads are flat and straight, the pay sucks compared to \"other places\".
Stay right where you're at. Make it home, get some good winter gear and enjoy what you have.

This is awesome,LOL! ;)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6inNH :Flip: I hope you are freezing your arse off with your twistie roads :Flip:

:rof: It's nice to get your blood boiling with some exciting canyon carving! :rockon:

Well, at least you're getting good training for drag strips!

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
OK FL is nice to visit but I NEVER want to live there again. Lived in FL from 1977 until I got out this year, lived just north of Tampa from 1986 on. The riding year round thing will last you maybe 2 seasons then it'll taper of as you 'adjust' to the weather, you will get more time than in NJ but then in the summer you will have a few weeks of UNBEARABLY hot and muggy weather that makes it too miserable to ride during the day and it rains nearly everyday in the afternoon. I went down end of September, I guess I've adjusted to cooler weather cause I couldn't stand the heat and had to ride w/o my jacket, which I hate to do. The winter cold is a damp cold and really gets to you in Jan. & Feb. and in the winter the 'Snowbirds' roost there so traffic multiplies horribly making riding on main roads more challenging since most of them shouldn't still have a license :eek: Now, there are things I miss.... really great bike shops all over the area, a lot of riding clubs, bike nights and weekends, and my ridin buddies. I will NEVER move back, I like my middle of nowhere, full of twisty little back roads, podunk, KY home. :rockon:
Sorry to ramble......