A Taste Of Tampa, Florida

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"I want to move to Florida, I can ride my bike year round" was my thought after realizing the positives outweights the negatives. We have family that moved there 3 years ago and never looked back to New Jersey again, their kids initially hated and cursed the move but now absolutely loves it.
This came about after our week's visit to Florida, we visited Orlando for the usual tourist spots but by the end of the week we were in Fishhawk Ranch in Tampa. The weather is perfect for this time of year (and ride my bike year round), although I noticed alot of local folk s thought it was a bit chilly for them. Being from Jersey I simply walk around in short and a shirt.
We went "window" shopping for houses and found one that just fits our needs plus some extras that makes it perfect and I can ride my bike year round. The price is suprisingly less compared to NJ. The public schools are blue ribbon rated, college/university plans makes it very affordable for my three kids and I can ride my bike year round.
BTW did I already mention that I can ride my bike year round?
My question is towards Floridians, what else about your state can help seal the deal for me or for others that could be thinking of transplanting themselves to a warmer climate?

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
good luck! I lived in New Tampa for 6 months and Clearwater for a little over a year. Watch out for squid's because there is no shortage of them around there, especially on US19. I miss Clearwater :(

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Drove around I4, 39 and some back roads and you're right about squids. Shortly after entering I4, we saw 4 squids on modified bikes (lowered, smaller wheels, longer swing arms) blowing past my vangina (2002 Honday Odyssey) easily 100+mph. WATGATT probably would help if that sort of speed was on the track and not around cars, vans and SUV's.
I did see a fair share of people wearing helmets and other protective gears despite the no helmet law.

Reaction score
Visit site
I lived in Tampa for 4+ years....loved it! Great place.....great weather, HOT women(!!!), YBOR City (if you've been, no expanation necessary), really laid back and cheap (in comparison to San Diego where I am now or NY where I'm from)!

I plan on moving back at some point. If you're from the East, it's a great way to escape, yet stay a plane flight away from relatives and friends.
Pro Football, Pro Baseball, Pro Hockey........

LOVE TAMPA!
**BEWARE of I19 on your bike, the old folks will cut you off**

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They just built a HUGE sports complex across from Fishhawk Ranch, sports is everywhere.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm up here freezing my arse off in Connecticut, Florida doesn't sound like a bad idea.

We spent the Thanksgiving week down in Florida. It's about a 20 to 30 degree warmer over there. While my fellow Garden Staters where sporting sweat shirts, gloves and even jackets for some, we were walking around in shorts and shirts.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to rain on your parade, but.....................what about the humidity comes summer time? It may feel like paradise now, but the summer is awfully hot, smelly and sticky, I'm sure NJ gets those type of conditions during the summer, but not everyday. Plus, what about the Hurricanes? Don't think that nothing can happen to you? Be prepared to evacuate and sustain some damage, just reality. It also rains a lot, lots of thunderstorms plus lightning during the summer. Hey, at least there is no state income tax.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding the humidity, before moving to New Mexico I lived in Niceville, FL (north Florida but close enough) for 6 years. I still miss it all the time, especially in the winter. Personally I LOVE the humidity. I can't stand it being dry all the time out here, I shock myself on everything. On a nice hot humid day its like living in a steam room :D

Donnie869

Bass/BikeMaster
Reaction score
www.palmbaybassmasters.com
Okay...Florida, I love it. I grew up here. Hurricanes, no problem. You only have to evacuate if you live on an island or in a trailer park, or a cat4 or greater is coming. Humidity, Airmesh. Thunderstorms, in the summertime you can set your watch to them. Housing is cheap, most schools are great, my wife is a teacher at an A school. Taxes are... Insurance...eeh. Cost of living is a lot less than up north (so i've been told). You can ride year round w/rain gear!

DO NOT MOVE HERE!!! There's all ready to many people here! Stay up north you damn yankee!:Flip:

j/k:welcome:come on down. visit the mouse house, ride your bike and dip your arse in the ocean/gulf. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to rain on your parade, but.....................what about the humidity comes summer time? It may feel like paradise now, but the summer is awfully hot, smelly and sticky, I'm sure NJ gets those type of conditions during the summer, but not everyday. Plus, what about the Hurricanes? Don't think that nothing can happen to you? Be prepared to evacuate and sustain some damage, just reality. It also rains a lot, lots of thunderstorms plus lightning during the summer. Hey, at least there is no state income tax.

Tampa is not too bad humidity wise in comparison to the east of FL. The Gulf provides a breeze that keeps it tolerable.
About the only thing that sucks is Homeowners insurance is CRAZY expensive. Like $4000-$5000/yr depending on your location and home. PLus there are only like 2 companies that write the whole region.:eek:

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Lived in St. Petersburg for 18 years and loved it. I've been away for 6 years now and I still dream about the day I move back. Nothing like driving up Gulf Blvd to Clearwater beach to scope the spring break hotties :thumbup::thumbup: I guess there might be one thing better...riding the Fizzer up Gulf Blvd! :rockon: Plus nightlife is awesome 7th ave in Ybor City, Channelside, Baywalk. There is always something to do, and if there isnt you can always go to the beach! Oh and the best part! No SNOW!!

As far as education, as a product of the FL public school system I can say its good, I'd suggest a magnet school for HS though, they have a more focused course schedule I felt better prepared me for college. FL also offers a Bright Futures scholarship which as long as you have at least a 3.0 GPA can get you 75% tuition coverage for any state school, 3.5 gets you 100%. And you've got a bunch of schools to choose from. UCF, UF, FSU, USF just to name a few.

I say go for it, I'll be right behind you!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Just to play devils advocate, consider this.

You can ride all year round.

And you can ride around for an entire year looking for one good curve.

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
I'm in Clearwater this week, what a difference coming here from snowy Chicago!!! working on a project with Lockheed Martin, awesome company!

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing like driving up Gulf Blvd to Clearwater beach to scope the spring break hotties :thumbup::thumbup:

mmmmm Clearwater Beach! I miss that grouper sandwich at Palm Pavilion!! :drool:

Come to think of it I miss pretty much everything about that place. I think if I hadn't hated the job I had at the time I'd have stayed there still to this day.

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Your best bet is probably stay where you are now. The traffic is becoming a real burden down here with all of the "northerners" coming down. I commute on I-75 everyday and it's becoming worse each year. You'll appreciate "dirty-Jersey" the longer you stay there! :justkidding:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fred had the best line! Well said!

One more thing to consider... take that specific address of the affordable house and go hunting for insurance that covers WIND & WATER damage (Lord knows you need both in FL!). in some cases, especially closer to the shores, the insurance can be close to the mortgage payment. Make sure you get the best-coverage quotes you can to see if you can afford that.

I had a boss who left the company and moved to FL. Boca Raton... She bought a house and everything was just great! They signed on the dotted and was then informed they had to get insurance that included wind & water. After searching long and hard, they found something that let them keep the house but one of the two has to work two jobs all the time to afford it. Shame on them for not looking into this BEFORE inking their final offer! It turns out that because the house was one block to the East of I95, it was a requirement to have "X" coverage. If they had bought any house on the OTHER side of I95, they would have paid HALF in insurance.

Please check that aspect out before deciding. It may not exclude Florida but it may change the location you are looking at. The further inland you live, the cheaper it becomes for insurance and housing prices.

Donnie869

Bass/BikeMaster
Reaction score
www.palmbaybassmasters.com
Yeah, stay away! It sucks down here. It's too hot, hurricanes suck, it rains all the time, too many cubans, too many OLD people on the roads, the beaches are dirty, the roads are flat and straight, the pay sucks compared to "other places".
Stay right where you're at. Make it home, get some good winter gear and enjoy what you have.

rockmurf

Reaction score
Visit site
I grew up in Jersey, went to college there and never thought I would live in FL because I absolutely hate the hot weather. Well 18 years ago we moved here and have had no regrets whatsoever. The above mentioned posts commented on things to be aware of but did not touch on the job market. If you are coming here with money you are set. If not you may be hard pressed to find anything. The post slamming FL for lack of curves, home insur in the 4-5K range obviously don't know what is going on here. Insurance can be had and the prices have come way down from a couple years ago due to more companies writing policies. There are curves to be found especially outside of Tampa. No mountains however. The bright futures scholarship for college is a godsend(don't know how much longer the state can afford to do that). Did I mention you can ride all year long. I don't miss jersey at all. I can get good sandwiches and pizza, you have top notch professional sports teams, baseball, football, and sometimes hockey. The colleges are great. And that is about all I have to say about this. Good luck on your decision