A road rage incident

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
On another note, most/many freeways nowadays (at least in CA) are at times heavily traveled, and this can even include a Sunday morning. The days of expecting to clear sail, say, at 80--90 or more MPH in the fast lane for distances are pretty much over in many areas because many times vehicles are filling up both (if it's only two lane) lanes with vehicles in one lane going a little faster than the other. Once in a while one sees some pissed off irate driver trying to manuever around vehicles in the #1 and #2 lane by mulitiple lane changing. It's almost as if the pissed off, irate driver expects that everybody else should all pull over and slow down for him/her as if it was a code 3 emergency vehicle. Even after all his/her somewhat reckless driving he/she may only end up arriving at a destination only a few seconds earlier. Same thing on some so multi-lane blvds in town. Some clown will make it a big crisis to get around you when, if one simply looks at the traffic light just ahead about to change to yellow or red, one will realize that by doing so it's just racing to get to a red light.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Dave, Tailgate - I'm not so far south that the slower traffic keeping right rule is abandoned. At some point on the way to the City, traffic density makes lane switching impractical, so that rule is jettisoned, but usually not up here.

A little more detail. Traffic Sunday was moderate at best. I was in the left lane following another car that was setting the pace, and Ragaholic was behind me. The other car passed the final car that was in the right lane and then merged right and slowed to that lane's pace. That left me leading the left lane. I continued for a moment at the same pace, then saw Slave to Rage behind me. After another moment for sensing he was in a hurry, I got out of his way. But that wasn't good enough for Hair Trigger.

The lesson is that sometimes, on the best of days, when you've done nothing wrong, someone is going to rise out of the asphalt and, for his own reasons, try to ruin your day. Be prepared. Have a plan in place so you're not caught leaning.

Shreve - There are times I do have to fight with anger - believe me. But this time all I felt was pathos for this guy's miserable outlook on life and people. Maybe it was the prayer that prepared me to see and deal with the situation the right way - somewhere in the back of my mind was the thought that something might happen. I always do a fleeting "thought prayer" before I ride, but for some reason this was a compelling "stop everything you're doing and pray aloud" prayer.

So the whole thing pretty much rolled off my back, and I was in a good and friendly frame of mind. And then at Trader Joe's I saw a very interesting lady I had never seen before, and talked to her very briefly. Who knows - the Lord knows how to give rewards, and He works in mysterious ways! :)

bb,
p.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been trying to sort this scenario out.I'm currently under the impression that you were traveling down a two lane hwy.by this I am thinking in the left lane traffic is coming towards you and in the right lane the vehicles are traveling in the same direction as you (just slower) am I correct??

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday was primo riding weather in NY-CT. I was out on the highway, doing fine, minding my business.

He comes aside me and holds. I look over, and with his big ham-hock hand he very aggressively flips me off, then speeds off ahead.

I suspect that some people get angry at motos because they're jealous. Or maybe some moto was irresponsible to them in the past.

I think your idea about being ready to brake is a good idea in case he decides to run you off the road.

In Texas we have many spoiled brats on super-sport bikes that ride in groups and or alone who do wheelies in the middle of the road, swerve around cars like a race course and act very poorly. We had several deaths in Dallas from a guy in a Jaguar who ran off several sport bikes off the road. The bikers were stunting in the middle of the freeway and cutting off automobiles as they went between cars at over 100 mph.

Joe Average sees this and lumps all riders in the same pool and expresses his anger when any minor nuisance gets triggered.

Just a thought....

Fred

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Paul1149--I understand, not trying to sound critical of you (trying to sound defensive). Yeah, sure, I'll move over to lane on right for faster traffic, but these a-holes who have a bladder problem or something---they tailgate the F out of you while you're side-by-side passing another vehicle and then flip you off afterwards. It's not necessary. I also dislike motorists, who, for no reason, clog up the fast lane, i.e., no continuous similar-speed moving traffic in front of them and they don't move over for faster moving traffic. When that happens and there's open highway ahead of the fast lane snail, I just go around and don't get my panties in a bunch (flip off slowpoke) over something that I consider relatively minor.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Shreve - no, sorry. I was on a four lane highway, two lanes going in my direction.

rider - I agree. I don't know what it was, but this guy brought his baggage with him to the show.

Tailgate - yes, fast-lane hoggers are one of the things I often need to control my anger about. There's just no need for it 98% of the time. It's either selfish or thoughtless.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are OK. Sounds like you did everything right. Some people just get angry that you are not overtaking quick enough. My particular favourite is when I get overtaken by a car just before the derestricted speed limit sign. What are they going to do, outrun a Fazer? :Flip:

You can't argue with faith. No, really, you can't. I've tried ;)

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
lol. yeah, I was on various sides of many arguments early-on, myself, and learned pretty quickly that it just doesn't pay. To each his own.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
People rarely think/realize that they could effectively kill us on 2 wheels with a turn on the wheel...

I've ridden for years with the "let it go" mentality, until recently.
A few weeks ago I was riding along and an Evo was driving like an idiot, swerving in and out of traffic.
I just moved over and let him go by.
I guess he had something to prove to his 3 occupants, as he slowed down to ride right by me. He proceeded to blow his "ricer whistle" at me and accelerated and slowed repeatedly. There was an exit coming up in half a mile so I just continued along, waiting to get off. I just shook my head, thinking "what an idiot, let him go.."
I guess he was not pleased with that, as he rolled down the window, his passenger flipped me off, and he swerved toward me. Not to run me off the road, but to scare me. I swerved away, hit the brakes, and got off the exit as soon as I could. I was really nervous that the car behind me was going to ram me, but luckily he saw what was happening and stayed back.
Now, that mentality is done for me.
If anyone swerves at me like that again I will not just "let it go." He tried to kill me, plain and simple. If I ever find him again (pretty easy as his plates read EVO), he will understand that trying to take my life will simply result in a severe a$$ beating.
Flip me off, fine. Swerve at me, and you will find my not-so-nice nature.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
t trying to take my life will simply result in a severe a$$ beating.
Flip me off, fine. Swerve at me, and you will find my not-so-nice nature.

Cant argue with you... I treat way to many people with brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, burns, etc. To take it lightly...
Normally, I say live and let one live like a douchebag... and as I go more and more bald and gray I should stick to that mantra, but instead I find myself saying HEY!! this is twisted!! These people don't get it... and they should not be able to get away with it...
Sorry I know that sounds severe, but whatever

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The other day I was trying to pass someone I had been riding beside for a while. Massive black pickup truck. He didnt want me to pass him so he moved up 10 feet by accelerating intentionally to within a few feet of the guy in front of him. He then carried on in this fashion for a while and would obviously not be making any ground.

So, I thought, "ok buddy, you're pretty cool there blocking me off for no reason other than to be a jerk."

So I lane split (while he shifted towards me to close the gaps even further and almost crunched me between his bumper and the other car) and passed the 3 cars that were all here. I was now out in the open and could resume my normal riding. I am turning left and change into the turning lane. Just as I'm doing this he comes RIPPING up at at least 130kph and comes within 2 feet of me and then after he gets through the intersection he starts to brake and resumes a normal-ish speed.

People are assholes and will actually try to murder you because you caused them some perceived inconvenience. Then they will go home and preach about it.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
People are assholes and will actually try to murder you because you caused them some perceived inconvenience.

And that is what caused a change in my attitude. I am a very patient person, and will let almost anything go. But if someone threatens to end the one life I am given, that's the end of my good-natured side.

I honestly believe that they don't understand the consequences of their actions. I don't think they know they can end a life and how that will impact them and others. But that doesn't make a damn difference.

I haven't gotten in a fight in years, and avoid it since I try my best to avoid confrontation. But there has to be a line that we each draw, where we will stick up for our own God-given right to live.

One last thing:
I used to know a guy who made tire killers. Little pieces of metal that when scattered on the pavement will flatten any tire that runs them over. I thought about getting them, just so I can avoid that one guy with road rage that might one day try to run me off the road. But ultimately I didn't because they might cause innocent bystanders to get hurt. They wouldn't just flatten the other guys tires, but anyone else who might run over them, then it makes me no different than the guy I was trying to avoid.

Ultimately we all make a life and death decision every day we saddle up. It could be a jack-a$$ in a SUV that deliberately hits you, or a mother that is distracted running a red light. We can practice emergency stops, evasive maneuvers, and wear all the protective gear there is; but riding a bike is dangerous business, and if you're not ok with that, get yourself a dirtbike.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And that is what caused a change in my attitude. I am a very patient person, and will let almost anything go. But if someone threatens to end the one life I am given, that's the end of my good-natured side.

I honestly believe that they don't understand the consequences of their actions. I don't think they know they can end a life and how that will impact them and others. But that doesn't make a damn difference.

I haven't gotten in a fight in years, and avoid it since I try my best to avoid confrontation. But there has to be a line that we each draw, where we will stick up for our own God-given right to live.

One last thing:
I used to know a guy who made tire killers. Little pieces of metal that when scattered on the pavement will flatten any tire that runs them over. I thought about getting them, just so I can avoid that one guy with road rage that might one day try to run me off the road. But ultimately I didn't because they might cause innocent bystanders to get hurt. They wouldn't just flatten the other guys tires, but anyone else who might run over them, then it makes me no different than the guy I was trying to avoid.

Ultimately we all make a life and death decision every day we saddle up. It could be a jack-a$$ in a SUV that deliberately hits you, or a mother that is distracted running a red light. We can practice emergency stops, evasive maneuvers, and wear all the protective gear there is; but riding a bike is dangerous business, and if you're not ok with that, get yourself a dirtbike.

well said.

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
One last thing:
they are called caltrops and can be bought HERE