A question for the Aussie guys

MitsuFootDr

Reaction score
Visit site
So, we have a very good friend of ours coming into the US this weekend. She is from Coffs Harbour, and is flying into and meeting us in Chicago. She said that she wanted to have a true "American weekend". So far, we have planned:

1. White Sox baseball game
2. Navy Pier for hot dogs, elephant ears, and a ferris wheel ride
3. Boat tour of Chicago river

Here's my question to the Aussie guys - Is there anything that you can think of that you would say "man, I really want to do that when I visit the US"? I'm looking for other suggestions for weekend activities.

MitsuFootDr

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the Blue Man Group still perform in Chicago ?? That would be on my list if they do :)

They do indeed, I will run that by the group. See? I didn't even think of that, good suggestion.

How far is the drive from Chicago to Green Bay ?? Because seeing Lambeau Field is #1 on my list :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Haha, Lambeau would be a pretty far drive. Soldier Field is closer, and I thought the Bears were better than the Packers anyway Blah (them be fightin' words)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Visiting a diner and gorging on American food?

(I tried this when I was in Atlanta and could only find healthy food places :()

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From my pov chicago blues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now it would appear to work beautifully thx TT and Dennis

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, Lambeau would be a pretty far drive. Soldier Field is closer, and I thought the Bears were better than the Packers anyway Blah (them be fightin' words)

h8D42CF4C

GO PACK GO Blah Blah

MitsuFootDr

Reaction score
Visit site

Aw, that's a shame, you missed out on some good southern cooking there in Atlanta. As far as food, we'll be having navy pier food for lunch, then dinner maybe Chicago style pizza? Is Chicago style deep dish pizza a thing in Australia or is that unique to here?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A jar of Vegemite in the kitchen might make em feel at home for a little snack! Blah :rockon: It'll at least make them smile! :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't a true American weekend consist of a baseball game at Wrigley Field? I'm not a baseball fan but that has to be one of the most American things to do, no offense to the White Sox, but they just don't have the history like the Cubs. I would also take the 2-3 hour drive up to Lambeau Field in Green Bay, so you can make Humperdinkel jealous. Those two teams probably have one of the largest American history in all of American sports. Maybe the Indy 500 but about a week or two too late. Maybe shopping along the historic area in downtown Chicago, forgot what it's called but probably just as famous as Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

MitsuFootDr

Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't a true American weekend consist of a baseball game at Wrigley Field? I'm not a baseball fan but that has to be one of the most American things to do, no offense to the White Sox, but they just don't have the history like the Cubs. I would also take the 2-3 hour drive up to Lambeau Field in Green Bay, so you can make Humperdinkel jealous. Those two teams probably have one of the largest American history in all of American sports. Maybe the Indy 500 but about a week or two too late. Maybe shopping along the historic area in downtown Chicago, forgot what it's called but probably just as famous as Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

I agree, Cubs over Sox, but we already got the Sox tickets from our friend's dad...they were free. I was at the 500 this past weekend and it was awesome, that would have been a great idea. Shopping along the Miracle Mile in Chicago - I don't know if my credit card can handle that, but my wife would suggest otherwise :rolleyes:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any food shown on Man V Food
Fried chicken
Grits (WTF ARE those?......)
Hot dog
Date with Mark Wahlberg :drool:
Not sure about the baseball or football - I know I wouldn't want to see that - really not our thing in Aus but she would probably LOVE to see the shops - even just to look around at things that are different to here
Show her beautiful scenery in a 68/69 Chevelle :)

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
How far is the drive from Chicago to Green Bay ?? Because seeing Lambeau Field is #1 on my list :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
I drove by about 10 years or more ago and said to my co-driver"That's the home of the Packers?"
Smaller than many colleges.Unreal.
Just looked at Google Maps and it shows construction equipment on south side.Lots bigger looking now!:rockon:
Rich
Kazza, Grits are made from corn!When my Mom was young,born 1925, corn was soaked in lye to make hominy.It was then dried then ground.Then boiled in water and served hot with butter on it.Now it's made safer but I can take it or leave it.Check it out here at Wikipedia.Grits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rich

Last edited:

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Isn't American food just a butchered version of someone else's food, usually with extra grease?

-As for American things to do. How about visiting a National Park or National Forest? They typically represent the most beautiful places in our country and many are quite unique.

-Hunting, fishing, really just shooting anything at all even targets always seems very American.

-Many places have very interesting cultures surrounding the consumption of alcohol. While I don't know what way ours would be most unique I bet some of our bars would be a fun, interesting experience. Could be any type thats even slightly pop culture, anything from a dance club to a blues club to a country bar.

-Lastly, Bear and Packers both suck. Go Patriots!

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bigger than big that's how we see it, a real local bar not a tourist one, local food, what ever is the rave, a sporting event if that is what they are in to. A home barbeque using a smoker with some ribs, a meeting with the president :eek: