A complete run through the bike before riding season

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully the warm weather is approaching I am slowly preparing the bike for the riding season, I just purchased a new set of tires, and I am looking to get a complete run through the bike, flush coolant, brake fluid, lube cables, obviously swap the tires, and just a general look through to make sure it's ok. It's a 2006 FZ with not many miles, about 6,000 only used in the summer time on weekends. I called Action Yamaha in Metuchen and they quoted me around $500 + tax. I am just curious if this is reasonable or someone can recommend a place in NJ. I really don't have a place to work on it or the tools required. Any help is definitely appreciated.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
That's probably reasonable from a shop but wow, I'd do all that work for a fellow enthusiast for $100 if he provided the coolant/DOT4/tires! None of those services are difficult or take much more than an hour or 2, even the tire change can be done at home. I'm on my 4th set of tires all done on my home changer, takes about 30 min per wheel. :thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully the warm weather is approaching I am slowly preparing the bike for the riding season, I just purchased a new set of tires, and I am looking to get a complete run through the bike, flush coolant, brake fluid, lube cables, obviously swap the tires, and just a general look through to make sure it's ok. It's a 2006 FZ with not many miles, about 6,000 only used in the summer time on weekends. I called Action Yamaha in Metuchen and they quoted me around $500 + tax. I am just curious if this is reasonable or someone can recommend a place in NJ. I really don't have a place to work on it or the tools required. Any help is definitely appreciated.

500 is not cheep -

Not wanting to get ripped and live in NJ, but lacking of the tools, expertise and space to work on it? There's a handful of very helpful forum members in your area that would be more than willing to let you come over and tinker, swap some fluids and work on your bike. [MENTION=7496]Erci[/MENTION] [MENTION=14552]moto[/MENTION]joe maybe?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Shops do tend to gouge on motorcycle service. That service on a passenger car would cost half that and take more time for them to complete! Don't let em fool you, removing the rear wheel on a bike like the FZ6 is not difficult, takes about 2 minutes with proper tools.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I could never imagine spending that on just routine maintenance. You don't need special tools or space to do most of that, I'd agree on taking it in for the tire change, but after that really all you need is some metric wrenches, old coolant jugs to catch the old fluids, some clear tubing to bleed the brakes with, and a spot on the driveway on a nice sunny day.

You will get more than the money savings out of doing it yourself, you'll learn lots about the bike, and be able to sleep easy knowing exactly how everything was done right.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Shops do tend to gouge on motorcycle service. That service on a passenger car would cost half that and take more time for them to complete! Don't let em fool you, removing the rear wheel on a bike like the FZ6 is not difficult, takes about 2 minutes with proper tools.

I'm going to have to hit you up when I need to do some work on the bike....the apartment parking lot barely cuts it for an oil change.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to have to hit you up when I need to do some work on the bike....the apartment parking lot barely cuts it for an oil change.

Anytime, you're only an hour away. I enjoy working on the FZ6, been doing it since 2007! If you need tires mounted I have the set up! :thumbup:

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site

which part of Virgina do you live, wifee has parents in Virgina Beach so we are always there, one of these trips I might trailer my bike down there :rockon:

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I was born in Virginia, too bad I don't live closer NOW! haha

We had a new shop open up in town. They Quoted me $300 to do a valve clearance check (I'm not comfortable doing that yet) and including coolant flush and oil change.

I can do the coolant and the oil so that might help lower the cost. The best thing is the shop is within walking distance so I can drop it off and walk home.

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions, to me $500 also seem steep. I always did my own oil changes, I can do that myself. If I watch someone do something then I will feel comfortable doing it myself. But for the coolant and brake fluid (especially dealing with brakes) I guess scares me to do it first time and I don't have the tools. If anyone is in Jersey that is familiar with all this and is ok with showing this to me I am more than willing to learn, :iconbeer: and $$$ payment terms are fine by me too Blah

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
500 is not cheep -

Not wanting to get ripped and live in NJ, but lacking of the tools, expertise and space to work on it? There's a handful of very helpful forum members in your area that would be more than willing to let you come over and tinker, swap some fluids and work on your bike. [MENTION=7496]Erci[/MENTION] [MENTION=14552]moto[/MENTION]joe maybe?

Erci may not be back from bike week yet....

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
which part of Virgina do you live, wifee has parents in Virgina Beach so we are always there, one of these trips I might trailer my bike down there :rockon:

I'm in Alexandria, Fizzer6 is a little further south off of route 95. You'll go past him if you are en route to VA Beach - I'm from Newport News originally. Nice area!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions, to me $500 also seem steep. I always did my own oil changes, I can do that myself. If I watch someone do something then I will feel comfortable doing it myself. But for the coolant and brake fluid (especially dealing with brakes) I guess scares me to do it first time and I don't have the tools. If anyone is in Jersey that is familiar with all this and is ok with showing this to me I am more than willing to learn, :iconbeer: and $$$ payment terms are fine by me too Blah

Yeah man, come down on a weekend, I'll help you out:thumbup:
How far away are you?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah man, come down on a weekend, I'll help you out:thumbup:
How far away are you?

And I can do the tire swap. $20/wheel, including wheel removal and installation.
I know Damian lives pretty close to me.. Joe, would you want to ride up and do all the work here? You can do the brakes / coolant, while I do the tires :D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And I can do the tire swap. $20/wheel, including wheel removal and installation.
I know Damian lives pretty close to me.. Joe, would you want to ride up and do all the work here? You can do the brakes / coolant, while I do the tires :D

Yeah, I can do that as long as I don't have kid dutyBlah

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
This forum is definitely the best haha. The tires I ordered are backordered and they said will only ship next Friday but then after that I am on vacation out of the country for 2 weeks. When I come back I am planning on starting all this, in the meantime I have oil filter and can get get the oil and any other parts. What coolants brake fluids etc would I need to get ahead of time? Do you usually order online?

The bike is literally 5 minutes away from Erci.

Thanks again really appreciate it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This forum is definitely the best haha. The tires I ordered are backordered and they said will only ship next Friday but then after that I am on vacation out of the country for 2 weeks. When I come back I am planning on starting all this, in the meantime I have oil filter and can get get the oil and any other parts. What coolants brake fluids etc would I need to get ahead of time? Do you usually order online?

The bike is literally 5 minutes away from Erci.

Thanks again really appreciate it.

If you're committed to doing the work at my place, you can have the tires shipped to my house.. or you'll need to drop them off at some point. Alternatively, you can always do the Michelin man ride (wear the tires around your waist :D )
For coolant, I use Peak 50/50 premix. Brake fluid.. any Dot4 will do, no need for anything fancy, in my opinion. This can be picked up at just about any local store (autozone, advance auto).

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ooooooo, definitely know who I'm calling whenever I decide to put new tires on :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I can do that as long as I don't have kid dutyBlah

^^ Free labor bro - wash and wax this bike when yer done w/that one! :thumbup::thumbup:

Good to see you all working together! :thumbup:
Go easy on the :iconbeer::iconbeer: