___GoPro HD Motorsport Group Buy??___

Interested in a GoPro HD Motorsport Group Buy?

• Total voters

Surfcleanlines13

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone, (PS. I am waiting a response from the admin for approval)

I manage a surf shop on the Oregon Coast and we carry GoPro's line. I have been speaking with our rep and mentioned the idea of a group buy for the fz6 forum. He seemed willing so I wanted to check and see if anyone was interested! I am going to shoot for 15% off but once I have numbers of willing buyers terms will be a concrete number.

Retail: $299.00
FZ6-Forum: $254.15

Shipping free "48 mainland states" and individual transactions would be done through our website- Cleanline Surf Shop: Wetsuits / Surf / Skateboard / Clothing / Kayak / KiteSurf

Just vote if your interested and if this is allowed I will see what I can do! Thanks! :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Additionally you might find a cheaper deal for yourself if you already have a GoPro with the hardware and are just looking for the camera and the cases...
GoPro Official Store: HD HERO 960 Camera

It does miss some features like 1080p but....

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the original GoPro, great camera, but after seeing how good the video is on the 1080P, get the HD camera. Stunning.

Surfcleanlines13

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the original GoPro, great camera, but after seeing how good the video is on the 1080P, get the HD camera. Stunning.

Yeah it really is something else! You can use them for anything too. We have a lot of cold water surfers that take them out in the morning for a wave then in the afternoon on their dirt bikes!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried my neighbors GoPro HD and the computers video would hiccup every few frames when running 1080p at a high frame rate. But I dropped it to 720p and it was fine on the computer. The 1080p with 60fps was awesome on my HD flatscreen.

Here's some 720p but it's been edited and a little lossy off youtube. It defaults to like 360p but compared to my other standard wide angle Gopro it's awesome!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZn69VGqzOg]YouTube - Montezuma.avi[/ame]

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Yawn. Oh hey, great video Moto. Running 1080p required powerful processors (I recommend core i7), but it's definitely worth the upgrade.

I hate to hijack this thread, but I would like you all to make an informed decision. As you all know I have the Contour 1080p. It's a very nice camera. It's in the same price range as the GoPro HD. I bought it just before they released the Contour GPS. How cool is that?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the contour has terrible issues with wind noise, basically the sound is unusable when your moving from all the videos i have seen. i think the gopro hd is a much better camera and from the comparisons i have seen the video quality is better too.

Surfcleanlines13

Reaction score
Visit site
I spent a lot of time deciding which to carry for our shop. And with surf and moto being our number 1 and 2 applications - proper audio capture was a requirement. I agree with mrphotoman, the noise sound was to overwhelming. Have your experiences with the Contour HD been different?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one incoming already. Just search youtube for the clips. This thing is miles ahead of other riding cameras, even the 720p gopro. The 60 frames per second make a huge difference and the resolution is wicked too.

Can't wait till I get mine (next week :D) and can use it (April :()...

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you do timelapse photography with the contour? I am having a blast doing rotating timelapse photography with my gopro with a custom mount I made. I also made a cool custom mount for my bike but unfortunately our 1 to 4 feet of snow has already hit so I will not get to try it out on the bike till late april.

If I can dig through the snow and get to the building I will post up a photo of my custom mount.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I spent a lot of time deciding which to carry for our shop. And with surf and moto being our number 1 and 2 applications - proper audio capture was a requirement. I agree with mrphotoman, the noise sound was to overwhelming. Have your experiences with the Contour HD been different?

nope. wind noise is terrible.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

My experience with the GoPro HD was much different audio quality and less noise floor than the ever present noise I get from my standard wide angle GoPro.

My standard as well as all others I've heard sounds like it's got a small ferrite bead rattling around in it regardless of whether you're moving or not so I can only assume it's the result of some software algorithm.

The new HD is good sounding and depending on which package you buy you can get two different cases. One is open in the back and it will give you higher fidelity, more wind noise and a closed back that will be water proof and less wind noise.

As you can hear in the video I recently posted it can depend on where the wind is hitting you. When we drop into the first turn you can hear the audio change. Less wind and a little more motor noise through the suction cup on the tank. That's the open back case in the video.

My other neighbor just gave me a waterproof case for the Contour. It was left over from some media shoots of his dog "Dozer" surfing here in San Diego. Yes, that Dozer. Love that dog and he's one of my best friends! :rockon:

Since I go to these events I get to see what the pros picked for filming. On the dog and the board was GoPro HD. I never saw the Contour used.
The mounting system and case for the water proof system for the Contour seems very bulky compared to the Gopro's water proof case and mounting system.

From what I've seen the Contour has really nice video and I like it's shape for helmet mounting. I would say noise factors might be related to the type of protective case you are using as well as recording levels and of course environment. On my standard wide angle you can choose 2 different recording levels. I think the levels are normal/high and low.
If we talk about mounting, the GoPro system is really good and has the best range of possibilities I've ever seen for the money. It is very dynamic and you'll be surprised what you can come up with.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the open back actually has less wind noise from 0 to 100mph and the closed back does better 100+mph. The gopro instruction manual states this and i have tested both and found it to be correct.

if you had a rattling noise with your standard gopro it is most likely the mount where the camera clips on it. there is a little rubber gasket that is included in the box that you wedge in the hole between the mount and the camera that solves that or you can simply place a small piece of fuzzy side of velcro on the mount and it takes care of the problem permanently.

gopro has expansion backs coming out soon that will give you a lcd back and an extended battery back (adds a 2nd battery) for double the record time. they also have a 3D camera (basically a mount and a 2nd camera so your current camera is not obsolete) that lets you record 3D HD video. The samples I have seen are amazing.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you can do much better than 15%. As an instructor, I get 30% off bringing it down to $210.00.

If anyone lives near Cycle Gear, they will most likely have a 25% discount at the begiining of the year.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the open back actually has less wind noise from 0 to 100mph and the closed back does better 100+mph. The gopro instruction manual states this and i have tested both and found it to be correct.

if you had a rattling noise with your standard gopro it is most likely the mount where the camera clips on it. there is a little rubber gasket that is included in the box that you wedge in the hole between the mount and the camera that solves that or you can simply place a small piece of fuzzy side of velcro on the mount and it takes care of the problem permanently.

gopro has expansion backs coming out soon that will give you a lcd back and an extended battery back (adds a 2nd battery) for double the record time. they also have a 3D camera (basically a mount and a 2nd camera so your current camera is not obsolete) that lets you record 3D HD video. The samples I have seen are amazing.

Thanks for the correction and addition info on the GoPro HD.

The noise I'm talking about (my standard wide angle GP) is not mechanically generated. I has it's own noise floor and seems to increase as the ambient noise increases. Just to be sure I've done all kinds of tests. I've also heard it on videos from other standard wide angle GP's. There was a firmware update that I performed and Haven't really payed attention to whether that noise has abated. I do believe it to be either software generated ?and/or the inability of the circuit, by design, to quell internal RF generation.

Another experience I had with the my standard wide angle camera was damage to the case lens (Crystal/glass) when mounting it where the tire could fling debri.
Naturally the pits created unwanted lens flare and anomaly.
I went to the GoPro web site to find a replacement lens I remember being offered but it wasn't available and seemed I would have to buy the $39.
I emailed them and told them if I was going to have to replace entire case, for not that much more I could just by cheap Aipteks (sp?) GoPro sent me an entire case for free! Later the replacement lens in a 2 pak was available on the web site for about 19 bucks.
Good aftermarket support never hurts and they covered me. Now I have 2 good cases!

Surfcleanlines13

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys! Sorry for the delay in pricing. A quick update - just got back from a couple days off, have seen all the family before the holidays, and hopefully will be locking in a price with the rep before or just shortly after xmas. Will let everybody know once a final discounted price is established. Thanks for your interest and merrrrrryyyyyyy xxxmmassssss!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop the presses! I was at CostCo yesterday and you can get the GP 980P kit there for $179!!! That is not the 1080P camera but it is worlds better than the original GP. It has a bunch of mounts, including a body strap, a rechargeable battery, two replacement lens.