86 engine removal

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was just curious on the best method...and if you need the forks on to do so correctly/easily lol. Thank you
Hello,
You might not find the information your after regarding the engine removal.
This sites primary focus is centered around the FZ6S and FZ6N.

Good luck
Nelly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was just curious on the best method...and if you need the forks on to do so correctly/easily lol. Thank you

Take lots of digital pictures, label, bag and note bolts/ wires, locations.

I would think leaving the front wheel on would be easier but supporting the bike would be the most important.

I believe you have a full cradle frame (the engine isn't a stressed member) so it'll pull out upwards slightly and out to the side once the carbs/air filter, etc, are removed.

Just start unbolting/unplugging until the engine is loose...

Good luck

S

Shamus McFeeley

I believe you have a full cradle frame (the engine isn't a stressed member)...

Good luck

It's going to depend on exactly this. My 750F had a removable frame section which made it easier to remove the engine, but it still took two people to lift it out. The GPz did not have a removable frame section and I had to lay the bike on its side and work the frame around the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Many engines will come out of the frame easier on one side then the other. So if you don't have a manual pay close attention and check for obstructions.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The frame comes apart at the upper front (under the steering head) and at the lower rear of the engine. It is a full cradle frame but bolted together per the parts fisch.

The engine will drop straight out the bottom with the lower half of the frame.

See below parts fisch for the bike (its listed under frame) :

My Yamaha Prompt - Parts Catalog)

You can also use this site for checking assembly of the bike, parts, etc....

Last edited:

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
I assume its similar to my 86 750. With it, i put a jack under the oil pan, then removed the two upper bolts. The engine would then pivot on the long bolt at the bottom rear of the engine. Use the jack to lower the front to the ground, then remove the long bolt. Or, if you have a second person, after removing the front bolts have them hold the engine still, then remove the long bolt and slide the engine out to one side.

I never did it without the forks on, but it should be fine as long as the bike is stabilized somehow.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pending on location, an open truss garage is pretty handy as you can run tie-downs through the truss and around the bars and tail (may need extensions of some kind). While actively working on it, a tie-down through a wheel to a support object provides for/aft retention. Your auto or a stand off pipe like those used to protect furnace/water heater can be helpful too.

Floor jacks are a must. . .

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pending on location, an open truss garage is pretty handy as you can run tie-downs through the truss and around the bars and tail (may need extensions of some kind). While actively working on it, a tie-down through a wheel to a support object provides for/aft retention. Your auto or a stand off pipe like those used to protect furnace/water heater can be helpful too.

Floor jacks are a must. . .

My garage ceiling is sheetrocked closed but does have trusses above the sheet rock.

I ran a 4"x4" across 3 or 4 of them, then a 2"x4" atop that (screwed together). A long 1/2" threaded rod with an oval threaded end was then threaded thru both the ceiling, the 4x4 and 2x4 located at the top, the oval, on the lower end.

You can then use a come along or motorcycle tie downs (you can adjust with the tie downs) to support most anything. Just position the bike underneath it where its needed.

I've pulled a small block chevy engine and transmission without a problem. You just don't have the adjustability of the open roof/truss.

For the OP, he can set the bike under it, put the frame/engine atop a solid object and then lift the rest of the bike upwards off the engine...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^
Yep been there done that too! However auto stuff I tend to bulk up as beams are not designed for loads of that kind. . A bike frame - NBD. . .

Had to put in a guided track to extract a water heater one time. I think its still in there last time I saw that house. Someone added AC (evaporator coil) to the furnace and ran the pressure and return lines at waist level in front of the water heater. A track, some lag bolts, and a come-along had it out in no time!

Lets see if OP comes back for help one day. . .